Hi, I wanted to get some tips on how to improve my singing voice.

jdsworld8

Hi, I wanted to get some tips on how to improve my singing voice. I included two audio clips. Accidentally posted twice. Sorry. Other one should be deleted.

Attachments

• Mr_Brightside.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • When_you_were_young.mp3
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
I suppose how to improve depends on what you want, or what you want to sound like.
What are you aiming at?
The original (brightside) is sung an octave higher and is absolutely belted with a clear full tone. Presumably you're not aiming at that.

There's nothing wrong with what you did there if that's what you're going for. You were in tune.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I was really just trying to get my voice to a point where I can perform somewhere like a talent show with a full band and get decently positive feedback.

Ok, well it's largely opinion but I'd say unless really quiet emotional stuff is your thing you'll need to build up a lot of strength to compete/perform with a band.

I know you'll probably have a mic to amplify you but still, your voice is very weak in these demos.

I said in your other threads that I'm no vocal coach, but I work with a guy who has this tight restrained voice through habit.
He's damn good at impressions so I encourage him to impersonate Sinatra in his free time.
Without even really thinking about it, the techniques start to translate to his normal singing very quickly.

Another tip is to rehearse with a confident singer, if you know one. Often the fact that someone else is there encourages your A game, and also you'll start asking yourself why you're being drowned out!

If I tell my pal to sing loud and strong he just kinda struggles and shys away, but if I open it up and sing over the top of him, all of a sudden he finds some strength. ;)

Thanks a lot. Your advice has been awesome. It seems that confidence is my greatest problem. I actually started posting on this forum years ago in my early teens. I think I've improved significantly with the help of everyone on here.

Overall, I like your singing and I think it has great character. But there's one thing you can work on if you want more of a professional sound.

In your recordings you are hitting the highest notes very similarly to the phonations in your lower voice, giving it a splattering sound generally around an "ah" vowel. That's completely natural, but ideally a singer wants to have a sustained/focused sound when they hit high notes, and that's accomplished by altering your vowels and sustaining the phonation. Try singing the highest notes of the song with an "oo" sound, and keeping working with it. You'll eventually start to get more of a focused sound at the higher notes.

Everything else is pretty good otherwise

Thanks for the tips! Could you elaborate a bit more about singing the high notes? Didn't quite get that part.

Also, if anyone has any other tips on how I could improve the strength of my voice I'd be very thankful

Basically, just sing a song but replace all the lyrics with an "oo" sound. This will narrow/focus your sound and it will also strengthen your voice. Even though vowels seem like they only occur in the mouth, they also have distinct patterns in the vocal cords. So by using an oo sound you can improve the way your vocal cords make a focused sound.

Other tips would be making sure you breath from your upper abs. Place your hands on your upper abs and hold your breath, then you should feel your abs expand naturally. That's the same feeling you should have when you inhale before you sing, and don't push out your abs because that will not work. Also, you can try singing a scale of notes while keeping your mouth relatively still in between each note; which helps relax your voice more.

I think you're on the right track. My advice would be,
1. Make sure you are in control of the rhythm. Sometimes it seemed like you came in a bit too late or too early, kind of fighting the beat of the song.
2. I like the gravelly aspect, but I think you need more of a clear tone added to this. Maybe simply singing louder would do it.
3. Make sure you are communicating the idea behind the lyrics, not thinking about how you are sounding (when performing!). An authentic delivery can make up for a lot of technical faults!

I think you sound really good, I would be happy to hear you sing at a talent show.

Also: I think you ARE singing in your range. In the original, the singer clearly has a different, higher range. Singing in ANOTHER singer's range is not something to chase after.

Thanks for all the tips people! I will work on singing louder, clearer and more confidently; along with my timing and trying the "oo" sound exercise. Glad I'm on the right track. Now the final step to my talent show pursuit is to finally shell out for that singing instructor.

Thanks again everyone. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the other Canucks out there!

Back