Hi, I love singing, help me to improve

harrisbs

Hi, I always like singing since long time ago. But just lately I really want to improve my singing capability. My aim is just to satisfy my self for being able to sing my favorite pop/rock songs sang by my favorite band/singers (Onerepublic, Maroon 5 and Bruno Mars). Most of their songs are high notes and I am really struggling. After training my voice for weeks, I finally able to reach some notes.

Can I share my smule ? Since I did all my practices in smule application. How can I share my Smule recording here?

I just want a honest opinion and tips to improve my vocal and singing. Thx

Ok....I'll bite......mainly because I'm fascinated by these "Help Me"...."Can I Sing" posts. Disclaimer: I don't claim to be a good singer but I do claim to be a good "hearer". So.......I'll ask you what I ask many who post here. What do YOU HEAR when you play this back for yourself? Do you hear the pitch problems........the timing problems......and the delivery problems? I think the issues are fairly obvious but it does often seem that many of these submissions of good faith...............appear to be lacking good sense. So many people seem to be tone deaf to themselves. Let me be clear..........this is not to say to stop trying. This is to say........why is it so hard for people to hear their vocal problems? Is this sort of like when all of us get too wrapped up in a current mix that's gone on so long we're not able to hear the simple things that need correcting?

Ok....I'll bite......mainly because I'm fascinated by these "Help Me"...."Can I Sing" posts. Disclaimer: I don't claim to be a good singer but I do claim to be a good "hearer". So.......I'll ask you what I ask many who post here. What do YOU HEAR when you play this back for yourself? Do you hear the pitch problems........the timing problems......and the delivery problems? I think the issues are fairly obvious but it does often seem that many of these submissions of good faith...............appear to be lacking good sense. So many people seem to be tone deaf to themselves. Let me be clear..........this is not to say to stop trying. This is to say........why is it so hard for people to hear their vocal problems? Is this sort of like when all of us get too wrapped up in a current mix that's gone on so long we're not able to hear the simple things that need correcting?

Okay, thanks for your honest reply, I appreciate it. I replayed my record over and over and
1. I missed some lyrics twice
2. My pronunciation is bit wrong at some parts
3. I missed notes at "you love me"

Then I will tell you what I think of my own record. I think I have not bad vocal, still need practices to singing correct lyric and notes. I am not the best but I am that bad as well.

BUT, that is my own opinion. Maybe I have an illusion that deludes me to believe I am quite good. I watched a lot of singing exercises and found out about head voices and I don't know if what I do is head voices or just purely falsetto. In short, I don't know if my vocal is good enough to enjoyable for other people. In forums, people tends to give brutal honest answer while in real life or smule, people are polite and just say "you are good" although maybe I was bad. Telling me my bad sides is good start to know which part I should improve next.

Lately I am doing breathing exercises, lip roll and head voice practices (from youtube), don't know if those are enough to improve my vocal.

Thanks for your time to write reply !

Maybe I have an illusion that deludes me to believe I am quite good.

You do. You indicate that you watched a lot of video to learn how to sing. Video obviously doesn't give you any feedback........and I think that's what you need more than anything right now. If you are really serious about trying to be a good singer........I suggest that you go to a vocal teacher for his or her opinion and help and get the feedback you need to sing well.

As I've mentioned previously........I'm always a little amazed by how often people misjudge their vocal abilities. And I know our friends and family are, of course, not good critics. Years and years ago we heard ourselves sing in the shower I guess. But these days everyone has access to some sort of recording device. Yet.......there is still some sort of disconnect. How does this happen?

You do. You indicate that you watched a lot of video to learn how to sing. Video obviously doesn't give you any feedback........and I think that's what you need more than anything right now. If you are really serious about trying to be a good singer........I suggest that you go to a vocal teacher for his or her opinion and help and get the feedback you need to sing well.

As I've mentioned previously........I'm always a little amazed by how often people misjudge their vocal abilities. And I know our friends and family are, of course, not good critics. Years and years ago we heard ourselves sing in the shower I guess. But these days everyone has access to some sort of recording device. Yet.......there is still some sort of disconnect. How does this happen?

I am not aiming to be professional singer because i know my limit. What I really want is just able to sing a song properly. So i am not trying to be the best but I just want at least sing more better than now.

So now, you believe I am bad, can I know what part that you don't like the most? Is it my voice? My pronunciation? My wrong vocal tecnique? Or am i missing a lot of notes ( which i believe i hit most of them)? Or maybe my voice is too "cracky"?

Telling me which part is bad can really help me to improve myself thx!

And in my town where i live, there is no vocal teacher. So even if i want to go to professional vocal teacher, i can not.

Thx anyway for your reply

This another record from smule, i tried head voice there. Dunno if i do it right or no.

Yellow Recording | Smule

Before you telling me to hear my own record :) i did and i know it is not perfect, that is why i am looking for honest opinion to improve myself here.

And my determination is to sing maroon 5 song properly and perfectly, so shout up your honest opinion. No worry, I will take them all in consideration because I will never give up until I can sing better than this.

You have many problems, all fighting with each other, and I suspect you have not yet got an ear that is trained enough to listen critically.

You do have problems with pitching, timing and as I suspect you don't have English as your first language, your pronunciation is very bad in places, so bad that I cannot tell what you were singing. You also in the mix got the melody and harmony mixed up.

These problems may be overcome, but you need somebody to help you if you cannot hear them yourself.

My personal view would be that you can put in a lot of effort and be able to sing satisfactorily, but you are not, and perhaps will not ever be a 'singer' - it doesn't come to you naturally, and you are trying to mimic other singers. With some work it won't be horrible, but I don;t think singing is your instrument.

You have many problems, all fighting with each other, and I suspect you have not yet got an ear that is trained enough to listen critically.

You do have problems with pitching, timing and as I suspect you don't have English as your first language, your pronunciation is very bad in places, so bad that I cannot tell what you were singing. You also in the mix got the melody and harmony mixed up.

These problems may be overcome, but you need somebody to help you if you cannot hear them yourself.

My personal view would be that you can put in a lot of effort and be able to sing satisfactorily, but you are not, and perhaps will not ever be a 'singer' - it doesn't come to you naturally, and you are trying to mimic other singers. With some work it won't be horrible, but I don;t think singing is your instrument.

Were we fighting? I thought we only have some conversation (me and other user).

Yes, English is not my first language, I do have some trouble saying some words correctly.

This is what I like from your comment
"You do have problems with pitching, timing and as I suspect you don't have English as your first language, your pronunciation is very bad in places, so bad that I cannot tell what you were singing. You also in the mix got the melody and harmony mixed up.
YES,it is true. I do struggle a lot correcting myself, because sometimes I sang it too early or late, and sometimes I sang it at wrong pitch.

I understand that I will not be a singer, but what I really want is just to be able to sing a song correctly, for myself only.

Then what do i need to do to improve myself? Just sing more? Or do I need to certain things to improve my singing?

Yes, English is not my first language, I do have some trouble saying some words correctly.

This is what I like from your comment
"You do have problems with pitching, timing and as I suspect you don't have English as your first language, your pronunciation is very bad in places, so bad that I cannot tell what you were singing. You also in the mix got the melody and harmony mixed up.
YES,it is true. I do struggle a lot correcting myself, because sometimes I sang it too early or late, and sometimes I sang it at wrong pitch.

I understand that I will not be a singer, but what I really want is just to be able to sing a song correctly, for myself only.

Then what do i need to do to improve myself? Just sing more? Or do I need to certain things to improve my singing?

As we have both said..........you have a lot of problems...........and we have both said that you need someone to help you with them...........such as a teacher or at least someone who has already been taught how to sing well. It seems that you keep waiting to hear someone here tell you that you sing fine or even acceptably. The way you describe your own singing in your posts..............a little off here........a little early there........a little late here.......tells us that you do not hear what we hear. Get some real training. Singing is not likely going to be your thing.........but perhaps you can get better. Denial is holding you back.

You misunderstood Rob here. He wasn't saying that you and Mickster were fighting. He was saying that your singing problems (pitch issues, rushing ahead of the beat, etc.) were all "fighting with each other," as in metaphorically.

As the others have said, you have pitch and timing problems, which isn't terribly uncommon for someone just learning how to sing. The more you sing, the better you're likely to get. You'll probably improve more quickly with the help of a vocal teacher. Good luck.

As we have both said..........you have a lot of problems...........and we have both said that you need someone to help you with them...........such as a teacher or at least someone who has already been taught how to sing well. It seems that you keep waiting to hear someone here tell you that you sing fine or even acceptably. The way you describe your own singing in your posts..............a little off here........a little early there........a little late here.......tells us that you do not hear what we hear. Get some real training. Singing is not likely going to be your thing.........but perhaps you can get better. Denial is holding you back.

Yeah thank for reply, guy. What I really want to hear is actually that someone telling me honesty. Which I don't get from family and smule community. I always love singing, and family/community always said good things like "you can sing", "not bad" which makes me believe I can actually sing.

However, after hearing myself over and over again, I don't really enjoy it actually although in some point, part of me want to believe that I sound good. This is why I am looking for singing forum, to know what exactly people think about me. I just want to sing properly

You misunderstood Rob here. He wasn't saying that you and Mickster were fighting. He was saying that your singing problems (pitch issues, rushing ahead of the beat, etc.) were all "fighting with each other," as in metaphorically.

As the others have said, you have pitch and timing problems, which isn't terribly uncommon for someone just learning how to sing. The more you sing, the better you're likely to get. You'll probably improve more quickly with the help of a vocal teacher. Good luck.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't have vocal teacher nearby. So I am just doing self-training from youtube videos to improve my vocal.

HI. Dossent playstation or that kind, have a pitch, singalong, game...? wouldn't that be a good start for pitch training..?

-einar-

improving your voice does take time and practice but there are some lil tricks to help you get higher notes
.using twang in your sound but not too much
. dropping the jaw and narrowing the mouth but again not too much
. breath control
never forget to do a warm up before you sing it will help with the high notes
good luck and keep up the hard work

Back