Gritty Vocals

Grit/rasp usually comes from the throat. You can practice buzzing your throat while you sing.
That said, vocal injury also usually comes from the throat. Be careful while you're doing it, and if something starts to hurt, stop.

Grit? Pinch your vocal chords on the vowel sounds. Blow really hard, like a Kazoo! Singing is 100% no less.

Attachments

• vvvv.mp3
    746.3 KB · Views: 57
I think you've got a nice clear Deep voice. You better enjoy it while you've got it. A lot more energy and a little vibrato is all you need. I also agree with the cigarettes and scotch method. At 66 years old I can make Joe Cocker sound smooth. mark

Sup nice voice.

There are a few choices, for this particular song, false fold distortion is probably what would work best.

The thing is, one of the keys to controlling distortion well, is to have a good clean voice that can do the job on it´s own. So I would work first on getting more energy on your normal voice, going for a more yelled/shouted quality, and then looking to get distortion and other effects.

You can practice something simple, use vowel OH or EH on your middle range, it will get kind shouty. Then change to vowel AH trying to retain the same energy of the previous one, it makes it easier for distortion to appear. It should not hurt, if it does, stop, try again some other time.

You can also get the effect to appear by bringing the back of your tongue against the back of your throat, and elevating it, while releasing air as if you just had a very refreshing drink, something like "ahhhh". As you do it, a rasping sound should appear. It also should not hurt. Get the hang of it and then try to make voiced sounds with this on top.

Distortion is not different than articulating other rolled consonants, it´s just done very close to your vocal folds so if it´s not done well it can hurt. So as you practice it, be mindful of your limits and never overly rely on it.

I hope it helps!

Tense your abdominal muscles and push them inwards while singing, like as if you're preparing to take a hard punch to the gut. It may or may not create distortion but the tone quality would change. There are some YouTube videos out there that demonstrate how to do this properly, like the ones by Chris Liepe.

That’s my kind of vocal, but I can’t sing it! I’m a more boyband voice guy, getting depressed:/ I have grown up with hard metal and gritty vocal, but never had time to learn it without pain :D

In the early 70's I learned to sound like Ian Gillan.When Molly Hatchet hit the scene I wanted to sound like Danny Joe
Brown. I found if I kept some saliva in my throat I could sound similar. When Jimmy Farrah replaced Danny I wanted to sound like Jimmy. Jimmys voice is my favorite. Nice and raspy and gritty. It takes lots of practice to train the voice. One day I wanted to sound like Bob Seger singing Katmandu. I can also sound like
Jim Dandy of Black Oak Arkansas. Training my voice to sound like Bob took a few minutes of practice a day over many months so I wouldnt damage my vocal cords. If I dont practice at least a couple time a week I loose the sound and have to start over. Be carefull with your voice cause you can easily ruin it. I'm 63yo and my voice still sounds real good. Get a vocal coach if need be.

Katmandu requires lots of air and push from the abdomen. You can hear Bob take big gulps of air. He pushes the sound out.

I learned to sound like Ian Gillan

When Molly Hatchet hit the scene I wanted to sound like Danny Joe
Brown.....I could sound similar

When Jimmy Farrah replaced Danny I wanted to sound like Jimmy

One day I wanted to sound like Bob Seger

I can also sound like Jim Dandy of Black Oak Arkansas
I'm sensing a pattern here......:unsure:

That kind of tone comes mostly from the throat and proper breathing. Get air in your diaphragm and squeeze your stomach muscles then project your voice. I developed it by cracking my voice and then staying up in that register with the air doing the work. Try singing along with vocalists who have the tone you're looking for and try to imitate them. Like anything it takes repetition/practice to develop. But don't overdo it. When you feel your cords stretch, back off. Eventually your cords will become accustomed to it and become second nature when going there. Planking, sit ups and other ab excercises will aid in controlling the diaphragm as well. Makes a huge difference and easier to sing.

Hi there!

First of all, congratulations on starting out in singing - it's a really rewarding and fun activity. As for developing a grittier voice, I think the most important thing to do is to find your natural tone and work with that. There are a few techniques you can try to achieve a grittier sound, but it's important not to overdo it or you'll lose the natural quality of your voice.

Some ways to create a gritty sound are to sing with more power and volume, and to use more throaty or raspy sounds when you sing. You could experiment with different vowel sounds, too - try singing "ah" instead of "ee" or "oo". It might also help to loosen up your vocal cords by yawning or humming before you start singing.

Above all, be patient and take things slowly. It can be tempting to try and imitate your favourite singers straight away, but it's important to find your own voice first. The more you practise and experiment, the better you'll get at finding the right tone for your music. I hope this helps - good luck!

_______
Jason Hook. Audio Enthusiast and Software Developer
Remove or Isolate Vocals from any Song 👉 https://www.UnMixIt.com/

Last edited:
Back