Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Good Vocal mic

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    There are lots of good vocal mics but which is best depends on your voice and also whether your taste is "warm and smooth" or "bright and detailed.

A mic I use on a lot of people is the sE2200A (the cardioid only version). Worth a listen if you get a chance to try it.
    That's what I do. I drink and I know things.
    -Tyrion Lannister (and Bobbsy)

Thanks
    I use 2 as my 'main' mics. Rode NT1A - predominantly bought for recording acoustic guitar, but IMO I get some pretty good results with it vocally, and there's my Shure SM58 which I also get pretty good vocal results from. I also have a ApogeeMic which I use when knocking things up on Garageband and my iPad.
    https://soundcloud.com/tim-summers

Thanks
    I have one of these and it works very well for vocal IMO.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P820T

Thanks
    I really appreciate everyone's input. I am still looking at my options.

Thanks
    Narrowing it down I think to the Rode NT1 [ Not 1A] Miktek 300, Se 2200a II C, Looking for a warm tone, clean highs that don't accentuate sibilance. My research seems to be showing that sibilance is a common problem in the low end large diaphragm condenser mics.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Couple of thoughts...

The 3000B is a pretty hot mic (25mV/Pa) and I doubt the Tascam pres are THAT spiffing! Could you be getting some HF overload? Once the pres crack you are not likely to improve it.

I am also wondering why no one has suggested a dynamic? Even a ribbon?

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Couple of thoughts...

The 3000B is a pretty hot mic (25mV/Pa) and I doubt the Tascam pres are THAT spiffing! Could you be getting some HF overload? Once the pres crack you are not likely to improve it.

I am also wondering why no one has suggested a dynamic? Even a ribbon?

Dave.
    Funny thing is I cut another vocal, different song, with exact same set up and the results were great. While the Tascam I'm sure is not packed with what would be considered "High End" pre's or converters they have gotten good reviews for what they are. Not sure they are any worse and maybe better than most of the low cost DAW interfaces that are being used and sold. And you maybe right about the high frequency overload. That is actually what it sounds like to me. And though I can tame the tone of the problem down so it is less offensive it is still there. I'm doing some more experimenting with mic placement, It's been suggested that I place it at eye level and don't tilt my head into the mic so I am actually singing a little below the mic. It is supposed to help keep some of the nasty air and sibilance out of the mic. Would be nice if that worked because other than this recent sibilance problem I'm not all that unhappy with the C3000B. I bought this one a dozen years ago and then rarely used it so it was just sitting in the box like new. Would I buy it again tomorrow? No, but 12 years ago there was less to pick from in this price range. It kind of seems like in the 300.00 range for large condenser mics you are picking your poison. Most of them get some rave reviews and some not so stellar reviews. I think there is a better mic for me, figuring out which one without buying and trying them all is the tough part. I also have a new SM57 and an AKG D330BT is I think the model ,The one the "Oak Ridge Boys" used to use live many years ago. Could try those.
    Last edited by songsj; 04-27-2017 at 17:46.

Thanks
    Another thing I just thought of{though it should not make any difference,} When I cut the song that turned out really great I was using an external phantom power supply for the C3000B, on this song I used the on board phantom power supplied by the Tascam. Thoughts.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by songsj View Post
    Another thing I just thought of{though it should not make any difference,} When I cut the song that turned out really great I was using an external phantom power supply for the C3000B, on this song I used the on board phantom power supplied by the Tascam. Thoughts.
    Fair idea but! That 3kb specc' shows it can cope with phantom power from 9 volts up*. Experiment with mic 'attack' mode could bear fruit. Millions of hours of film and video were captured with a boom mic over the performer's head. Also try singing ACROSS the diaphragm instead of at it, LDCs generally have quite a drop in HF response off axis.

*Worth checking the phantom voltage though. Easiest to check an adjacent XLR off, then on load. If THAT drops at all you can assume the spook juice supply is poorly regulated. Next, get the cover off an XLR back of mic and check it there.

Dave.

Thanks
    It keeps getting weirder. I decided to try my new Sennheiser HD280 pro headphones for sport and I find when I have them on I hear a rich deep bassy sound in the phones but what gets recorded is thin and tinny on playback. I go through my system completely which for tracking is my Tascam 2488 and cannot find anything set wrong. After a few hours of screwing around for sport I sing part of a song with one headphone earpiece on and the other off and the sound recorded is exactly as it should be. 61 years old and never seen this one before. Could this be some kind of phase cancellation or something.

Thread Information