Good songwriters?

Marty Joe

Who are some good songwriters out there in the world?
I like Dylan, Lennon, Joni Mitchell, Paul Westerberg, Bob Walkenhorst, Springsteen. Anybody have any favorites? or a list of great meaningful songs like American Pie or Stairway to Heaven?

I think you need to be a little more specific on the question of songwriters, like melodic, all round, etc.

Here are a few of my favourite:
-Dylan (I don't reckon I need to say)
-Lou reed (lyrics)
-Leonard Cohen (lyrics)
-Neil young (lyrics/all round)
-Roy harper (just fantastic)
-Lennon/Mcartney (lennon lyrics/Lennon and Mcartney-melodic)
-Pete townsend (all round)
-Bert jansch (acoustic guitar-no one better)
-I won't name but the elite are the classical composeres whether you like the music or not.
-Brian wilson (melody, and all the rest)

And thats only scratching the surface.

Marty Joe said:
Who are some good songwriters out there in the world?
I like Dylan, Lennon, Joni Mitchell, Paul Westerberg, Bob Walkenhorst, Springsteen. Anybody have any favorites? or a list of great meaningful songs like American Pie or Stairway to Heaven?

Songwriters? Here's my list (abbreviated)
1. Stevie Wonder
2. Stevie Wonder
3. Stevie Wonder
4. uh........., Stevie Wonder

I agree with all the previous posts, and I would like to add Dream Theatre. Their music has content, and never fails to amaze/engross me. I can't even imagine their writing process.

Jake

Here are a few of mine:

1. Jeff Buckley (Genius of the 90's)
2. David Bowie (The 70's stuff)
3. Lennon/Mc Cartney/Harrison (no need to comment)
4. Morrisey/Johnny Marr (The new wave gems were brill)
5. Ray Davies/Dave Davies (Brit Pop at it's finest)
6. Syd Barrett (Insanely Brilliant Pink Floyd founder)
7. Roger Waters (Sanely Brilliant Pink Floyd founder)
8. Nick Drake (Beautiful folky acoustic guitar & lyrics)
9. Elliott Smith (Beatlesque Folk Rock)
10. John Entwistle (easily The Who's best writer)
11. Chrissie Hynde (Too many good songs to be a fluke)
12. Annie Lennox (keeps on rolling them out)

Just a few that were on the tip of my tongue today.

has anyone got the bottle to say Marshall Mathers,
I think he is very good If you can keep an open mind.I prefere instrumentals like Tubular Bells, things like that but do like robbie williams,queen,pink floyd,abba,carpenters,gene pitney,,,,,,so go on you can all have a laugh on me.

I'm assuming that was some flame bait?

If you are serious,

Marshall Mathers aka Slim Shady aka Eminem is in my opinion not a great songwriter. Firstly the music and melody is usually decided by his boss Dr. Dre and his cronies. Secondly his lyrics while entertaining are hardly groundbreaking are they? If you think he will be revered in 20 years time, then he will go down as a great songwriter. I personally think the chances of that are as good as the chances of me doing Britney Spears!

marshal mathers is no john lennon ok but have you listened to the 40 + songs he has wrote or co wrote I have

Hey Royston
I don't mind you saying that john entwhistle is a good songwriter, (he is also a very talented musician-the who's most talented) but to say "John Entwistle (easily The Who's best writer)", get real. On quality and quantity Pete Townsend is the best (which is the wrong word to use anyway). I think John would be the first to agree.

songs that give me the chills of enjoyment

This is not a top ten but what I just happen to remember off the top of my head.

Julia- John Lennon
On Every Street- Mark Knopfler
Skyway- The Replacements
Used To Be A Sweet Boy-Morrissey
Sugar Mountain- Neil Young

jimi hendrex
eric clapton
howling wolf
elmore james
mozart
betoveen
chuck berry
duane allman
robert johnson
etta james
nat king cole
bb king
jim morrison
jean micheal jarre
the list is endless.to many different kinds of music

YO Krystof01!

Who are you to tell me who I think The Who's best writer is? If I say it is John Entwistle, then to me it is John Entwistle. I suggest you listen to the 1970 album 'The Ox' by The Who and then get back to me. He makes Pete Townsend sound like an amateur.

-Royston-

Your quite entitled to your opinion, all be that a load of shite. I tried to do you a favour by opening your eyes' but I guess I wasted my time. You try and help and it's thrown back in your face. Some people will never learn. I'd pray for you but I ain't religous. I'm just always correct.

What is the world coming to when someone dares to question me. An utter disgrace, I doubt I'll sleep tonight.

P.S. open your ears.

How's Wednesday Doin?

Listen,

What do you know? You come from a place where the togger(Soccer) team is named after a day of the week! You also come from the same place as that great american band, DEF LEPPARD! Well at least they sing with flawless american accents!

Ha!

At least I come from somewhere, your a nothin' cus you don't exist.

Anyway to settle the argument once and for all, in my favour of course (it always was) I phoned John and he said "Pete is the elite, he taught me everything I know and I will never come close to his high standards". I then phoned Pete and he agreed.

So, ha ha.

(next please).

Who issues.

All I know is that John E. is a great bass player and Pete T. is a great writer. Who's Next is a great album. I've heard some solo stuff from John E. and Pete T.: I thought there solo stuff wasn't as good as the Who.
Any comments?

Here's what I can offer

I have a few I will get laughed at for, but what the heck. After the beatings I've taken in this forum, I have no pride anymore:

Barry Manilow (he has written stuff you don't even know he wrote, and you sing/ hear it every day)
John Denver ("Matthew" chokes me up every time)
Sting
Lennon/ McCartney
Hendrix
James Taylor
Rogers and Hammerstein

Aaron
http://www.aaroncheney.com

Krystof01 : When you spoke to John on the phone he was simply being modest, at least that's what he told me at the pub last night!

Aaron : Not a bad list, with perhaps the exception of John Denver (of course in my opinion) :)

You know who I forgot?

1. Carole King
2. Neil Diamond
3. Simon Le Bon
5. Joe Strummer/Mick Jones
6. Robert Johnson

Noted musicians

Yes. I will admit it too. Diamond and Manilow wrote some great tunes. I am glad that I started this thread because it will motivate my songwriting-improvement quest. I'm going to check out some of these songwriters in more depth. Especially, musicians such as Sting, Lou Reed, and Carole King. (looking beyond the hits) Thanks.

Back