Good songwriters?

Pete Townsend WAS the Who. And Krystof- although I agree with you, you're attitude toward Royston and especially Marty Joe make you sound like an arrogant dick. Probably what I sound like right about now, but who really gives a shit :)

I can't believe no one has mentioned Robert Pollard, Prince, John Prine, Johnny Cash, or John Hiatt.

Here's what I can offer

Hey Vurt,

I had never heard of John Prine until about a month ago when a friend of mine asked me to accompany him on guitar to the song "Woke up this Morning" at a talent show. The song is a pretty basic chord structure, but the lyrics are very funny. Is this typical John Prine? I assumed he was just some unknown folk singer, but apparently I have been missing something.
Also, I'm glad you mentioned Prince.
I forgot Paul Simon.
And you know who else wrote some cool tunes?:
Roy Orbison
Like John Denver, Roy wrote several tunes with no chorus or verse sections at all. They are just linear compositions without refrains. It's pretty hard to do that and still end up with a memorable song, and they both pulled it off.
I knew I would take some flak for mentioning JD, but despite his current sort of goofy, tree-hugging image, I really think he wrote some good songs. Think about his descriptive metaphors "Rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky" or "You fill up my senses like a night in the forest, like the mountains in springtime, like a walk in the rain." I think those are great.
Who knows, maybe I'm just goofy too.

Marty Joe,
You should check out Mercury Falling or Ten Summoner's Tales if you are not familiar w/ Sting's "non-hit" songs. The craftmanship of his songs is just brilliant. Of course, it doesn't hurt that he surrounds himself with brilliant musicians either. His lyrics are great, and he likes to use odd time signitures, but still makes them groove. One of my all time fav's.
Aaron
http://www.aaroncheney.com

Granted the Brits have put together some great songwriters that I don't need to mention again, although Lennon, McCartney, Elton, Syd Barret, and Bowie can't have enough great stuff said about em.

But there is a massive populous of underrated American songwriters that tower over the pompous brits:

Lou Reed
Dylan
Thurston Moore
The writings of Jim Morrison
Kurt Cobain
Jon Spencer
Iggy Pop
Hendrix
Neil Young
Johnny Cash
Hank Williams
BB King
the King
Prince
Chuck Berry
Buddy Holly
Richie Valens
Michael Stipe
George Clinton
Stevie Wonder
Michael Jackson
Beck
Oasis....oh no they suck...oh no they're British
Coltraine
Tom Waits
Miles Davis

I could go on but I don't want to embarass our friends across the pond.

Hey Vurt, go fuck yourself. I am arrogant and that's why I'll make it. All the best songwriters are arrogant including and especially Pete Townsend.

And I'll make a point of saying I have more posts than you.

As for Hendrix!

Jimi Hendrix would of remained an unknown if he hadn't been "discovered" by the English. And while you were bopping along to Gene Pitney and other lame teen idols, The Beatles were listening to Fats Domino, Elvis, Little Richard and working on an invasion strategy!

Pete Townshend's ego is about as big as his nose, and almost as useful to society.

He is deaf as a doornail and should therefore quit performing.

Did no one catch my subtle dis of British songwriters? I was kind of hoping for a rebuttal. Come on you dodgy poms it's not like you don't the ammo for a good fight. Looks like your headed back to the queen with your tail between your legs like back in the 1770's. I'll take your tea and toss it in the lake again!

Joking Aside

Joking Aside,

We Brits and Americans should really credit Rock and Roll's origins to Africa, where the blues originally came from.

Ummmm, last time I checked I hadn't heard any good Zimbabwean blues.

I've heard the story about the evolution of the blues, but you need to keep things in perspective. Give me a couple of old African blues recordings to check out and we can talk.

The blues, jazz, funk, hip hop, soul, rap, techno (bred in my home town thank you), punk (also made in detroit late 60's), and of course the all mighty rock and roll were all conceived in the US of A.

One thing I'm wondering, does the British Parliament have a board that monitors American artists creating new breakthrough sounds so the British can come back with their clones and big business backing them to dominate the record industry? This is a theory of mine, and it would explain the whole 1960s British invasion, the Sex Pistols and British punk, and a lot of the modern "Brit Pop" and electronic music.

Still looking for an argument...

I don't know if I can be bothered to argue today but I'll give it a go since you asked.

Before I start, what kind of argument are you after you fuckin Yank?

I'm not familiar with that song, Aaron, but from what songs of his that I am familiar with, I would think that it probably is relatively representative of most of his other work. I've got Anthology and some other variety tapes given to me by a friend, and the songs are pretty consistent for the most part. Prine hasn't written songs in my top 25, but I certainly appreciate a lot of them. Much more so than Prince, actually, who hasn't ever really done anything for me personally but who deserves boat loads of credit.

Hey Krystof, I'm SO tempted to tear into your pathetic little world, but nothing I say can embarrass or belittle you more than your own words. Congratulations, you've established yourself as the most naive, juvenile, and flat out STUPID person on this BBS. In just three sentences, too! Careful fella - write too much and someone's likely to come along and commit you to an educational institution of some sort.

--------------
Hey Vurt, go fuck yourself. I am arrogant and that's why I'll make it. All the best songwriters are arrogant including and especially Pete Townsend.

And I'll make a point of saying I have more posts than you
---------------

Truly brilliant...

What do I want to fight about you dodgy pom?

What DO I WANT TO FIGHT ABOUT?

YOU TALKIN TO ME?!

I'm not altogether sure, but I know there is something bothering me.

Oh yeah! It's you goddamned low-life Brits and your plaguerised rock music that has flooded the recording industry! What do you have to say about that!?

Love,
Rats

Not looking for an argument...

Arguing over stuff like this is a fruitless labor.

But here's my view:

The blues, and all it's descendant musical forms, came from black slaves in America who brought with them a very rich, complex, rythmical musical heritage. They had none of their native instruments to play it on, so they adapted it to American instruments. For example, no white guy had every played a piano like Scott Joplin before. Those incredible ragtime syncopations were an amalgamation of the factors I mentioned above that neither could have produced on its own.
Same w/ the Brit vs. American thing. Some of the Beatles' earliest influences were American music. Another amalgamation.
So where did the music come from? That's like trying to answer the nature/ nurture question. Why bother?
And now, I will say amalgamation one more time. That's three in one post, which must be a record.
Aaron
http://www.aaroncheney.com

Yeah I amalgamize with Royston's wife, too!

Can't a guy get a flame war going anymore around here? Man I must be losing my touch. I think I need to go to Busted Louver Thingy's school of assholedom. Not that being a prick is anything to be proud of, but it's a nice trick to be able to pull out on special occasions.

And for the record I love Brit Rock!!!

Except for that big nosed tone deaf Townshend guy. he flails around too much in vanity.

Dearest Vurt,

I would love to know how you link my having an opinion to your conclusion of stupity and naievity. As for the juvenile, well that's what we (the sane) call having a sence of humour. Your obviously so uptight that you would allow yourself to be eaten up by these comments which in my opinion act as an embellishment to any post, keep it interesting and keep the thread going.

To whom it may concern; (vurt).
I see the purpose of this bbs as one of insight, relaxation/pleasure, sharing and enjoyment.

Rats; I would love to argue with you and I'm sure the posts could go on indeffinatley, but I do not wish to upset Vurt any more. From now on I want to see only raw data and information that is relevant to the topic and under no circumstance must you smile or laugh.

I came across this in an article today and it reminded me of this thread...

"Out of the feeling of separation can come a loneliness and a sadness, but also some good music can come out of it. I bet Pete Townsend was really sad when he did 'Who's Next.' I bet God was really sad when he created the world."

-Robert Pollard

Back