A Gift to develop

Razzgospel

Yes, songwriting is a gift, just as instrumental virtuosity is. Some folks get bigger boxes than others. But, no matter how big the gift, if you don't use it wisely, you'll lose it.

Man, when I was 24, I suppose I was worried too that life was rapidly passing me by. I remember when my oldest son was 24. He was depressed because he didn't own his own home yet. I didn't even own a car at 24.

Don't feel bad if you haven't written a song at 24... I have many friends who are far greater instrumentalists than I am, who know music theory (I can barely read music) and talk with a sophistication that is way beyond me, who have never written a song, or had any desire to. I find that it's unusual to find a really good songwriter who is equally adept as an instrumentalist. At least it seems like we are naturally much more gifted in one are or the other.

I also believe that most songwriters... even the most commercially successful write FIRST, just because they love writing songs. I've written songs all of my life, and have many recorded by other musicians, and probably haven't made $1,000 total on royalties. Write (or compose melodies) out of love and your pay-off is up-front.

Jerry

Back