Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: garageband.com contest: alternative or punk???

Thanks

Question

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm not sure if theis is the proper locale for this thread, but screw it, let anarchy rule. My band's music is hard to describe. We've pinned it to psychedelic indie punk, but it crosses the border lines a lot. The problem at hand is that we are in the garageband.com contest (which to me is really just a good way to get some reviews and feedback on our music from people who will really have no reason to be anything but unbiased in their critique) and I can't pin down the category to slot our music in. I initially put PTSG and electro in alternative, but now I'm second guessing my decision(probably doesn't matter too much).Although I consider it basically post rock, it can be considered punk, but not in the classic way. It can also be considered alternative in the indie way. There is also an element of electronic influence, although with the new band most of that is element has faded. Trying not to be too long winded, I'm putting out a call to the good peep here who would be so kind as to lend an ear to a few of our songs at MP3.com, namely "the Psycho Tripper Sex Gang", "Electro!", "Jonathn(Dip Off My Chip)", and "If I Could Be Your Boogeyman". Please believe me when I say this is not a ploy to boost my download points, I really could care less about that crap. These are the same songs I posted in the MP3 clinic forum last month, so if you listened to them then you can save yourself a click.
    Thanks!!!! And yes, I am self obsessed.

-rats

Thanks

click

Oh yeah, the you can click the little red house down there to access those songs.

Thanks

Here's what I can offer

Without having listened to your songs, I would say it makes no difference what category they are in. Agonizing over whether or not a song is "punk" or "alternative" is a fruitless labor.
    If the songs are good they will rise to the top.
    Musical boundaries suck anyway. They are just a ploy by the man to pigeon-hole artists into neat little packages so they can profit from us.
    Let anarchy rule!!!!
    AaronCheney
    http://www.aaroncheney.com

Thanks
    I have the same problem with not knowing where our style fits, and I have also givin up worrying about it. I do however believe on mp3.com and garageband.com it makes a big difference to how wel you do, what I am trying to say is that I think its a good idea to try and get in the right category on mp3.com and garageband.com. Myself would just review metal, punk and alternative on garageband.com so I dont review anything else. I mean would you want a boyband fan to review your punky type music, now that wont work.

Rats, I have listened to your stuff before and I could not say in which cateogry it falls, I do think Alternative is the best place for it though. If its bad advice, just bring pestelence down on me.

Good luck in the race for the $250 000

Thanks
    Every time I read a review of a local band around here, it always says that their music is difficult to categorize. I say this may be true for the inarticulate rock journalist, but my point is that it has really become as much a cliche to be difficult to catagorize as it is to fall comfortably within a category or genre.

I don't think we should be mistaken about who's doing the pidgeon-holing. Moreso than "the man," I think bands are to blame for their inability to follow a vision that takes them outside of the facile and familiar. When bands are able to do so, we certainly want to have a name for it so we can tell all of our friends about it. And it builds. Then we trace back to bands whose influence we hear in a new band when we put them in a genre. Since it is the 21st century, its necessary to use a certain amount of hyphens and slashes.

Lets look at an example: Rats' band fits somewhere in the space between post-rock of Sonic Youth, the new wave elements of Devo, and the deconstructionist vibe of Soul Coughing. A simple name for this is
    post-indiewave-decon/noise-artrock.

For promotional purposes, this can be abbreviated to alternative.

just having a little fun. I actually know people who have conversations in this language

Thanks
    Well said Lazyboy , I agree

Rats, after long hard thought and consideration of what has been said I have decided to classify what your band does as the artform previously known as MUSIC. (Now, obviously, it would be discribed as: "post-indiewave-decon/noise-artrock", or any other cool string you can conjour up. )

Thanks

what's a Thrig?

That is the usual respose we get when we tell anyone what our band name is, so we've decided to appropriately name our next CD "What's a Thrig?". Thank you for your responses and feedback.
    Lazyboy I think you have a very good point about the benefits of a label for your sound, and that's the major motivation for my quest for a category. I've always wanted our music to be versatile and interesting, and I've always wanted to stay away from falling into traps like those other bands have fallen into that require each song to sound like the next. When I started playing music it was straight out hardcore punk, but got bored with it. So I found more room to move in a kind of goth/indie/industrial thing like ministry meets Sonic Youth meets Bauhaus, but that broke up. For years after that I diddled with noise bands, and in 1999 decided to start a band that could pull it all together. It seems to me that some of the greatest artists, the ones that make a difference anyway, played music that was ever-changing and growing, taking on new faces. Look at the Beatles for example! Some of the bands I personally feel made a difference (some would disagree) would be Pink Floyd, Sonic Youth , David Bowie, Beck, the Pixies, and others. They all had their own sound but they made their own rules, and that made them great. They all forced the industry to play with them, and not to be played with by the industry. That's my personal goal: To not sound wishy-washy but to be diverse, and with a sound unique and marketable. If you've listened to those songs, what can you say about that?

Thanks
    I've always said that nobody can be completely original. Those who seem to be truly original are those who draw from broader influences. Personal favorites include Frank Black, Elvis Costello and Joe Strummer.
    Jeff

Thanks
    Yeah but for one Elvis Costello's studff all sounds the same to me. Frank Balck I can agree with you on. I don't know much of Joe Strummer's stuff (is he in B.A.D.?). My problem is once all the diverse influences have been taken into account and drawn on, pulling it together in a neat package instead of having a big grotesque blob of music. Then again maybe grotesque is good...

Thanks
    In a way, I'm not sure that pulling it all together is something that can happen on a cognitive level. In other words, I don't think that you can plan the collision of influences. Well, you can to a degree, but for the most part it just seems to happen. The punk in you will spill over when you're doing bossa nova, you know?

Since I'm the -/ guy, try my example. I was talking to my sister's boyfriend who is also in a band. I told him that I'm looking to do something like this:

psychedelic/garage-noisefolk

Well, what the hell's that? Depends on the song. And it damn well better mean something different for each.

Thread Information