Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous, "stolen" songs???

Thanks

Cool

Sign in to disable this ad
    You know McFerrin's "Don't worry, be happy"? and "What's going on" (4Non Blondes)? Well, compare the melody of the verses...
    And isn't the verse-melody of "1999" from Prince similar to the one from "Manic Monday"?
    What do you think?

Thanks

Wink

I think prince wrote manic monday for the bangles, not positive though.

I remember some controversy between Huey Lewis "I want a new drug" and the ghostbusters theme.

There is some similiarity between the 4nonblondes song and MCFerrin one.. good call.

Thanks

My Sweet Lord (vs) She's So Fine.

George Harrison was found guilty for copyright infringement. Personally, that one's a close call.

On The Outside (vs) Play Me

Not so famous. I remember hearing the song "On The Outside" by a Canadian songwriter called Rock Voisin. The verse music sounded like the verse music from Neil Diamond's "Play Me". I don't know whether any action was taken on Neil Diamond's behalf, though.

Thanks

Thumbs down

The judgement against Harrison was stupid as shit..the Chiffons or who whoever the fuck they were needed some quick easy bucks and found a tricky lawyer and a dumbass idiot judge..."He's So Fine", the gist of the song as well as the three syllables and notes that were regarded as stolen were not even the same timing, and certainly didn't have a supporting counter melody going either...if three notes are considered stealing, then there's not a writer out there that couldn't be in trouble...think louie louie, hang on sloopy, la bamba, as just three songs that could be construed as stealing WAY more than "My Sweet Lord".......gibs

Thanks

Wink

Ever listen to Van Halen's "Best of Both Worlds" and "Celebrate" by I think it's Kool and the Gang? Identical. You know the song..."Cel-e-brate good times, C'mon"

Thanks

Wink

Steve Miller's Rockin me Baby=Free's Alright Now

Steve Miller's-The Stake(steak whatever)=Rocky Mountain Way by Joe Walsh

Also The Hardest Thing I'll Ever Have to Do by one of the boy bands=Brittany Spears From the Bottom of My Broken Heart, don't really know who's came out first and don't care. But the Chorus's are interchangable.

Thanks

Wink

Did anyone see George Harrison on Saturday night live right after the Shes so Fine farce where he did This Song (title?) I was doing about 4 hits of sunshine and it was one
    of the best musical skits I ever saw (I think). How about that latest Blues Travelers
    tune (dont know the name, i think its the latest.)If that isnt Rosaletta by Springsteen
    I dont know what is.

Thanks

Wink

S.A.C.E.M.,the French equivalent of ASCAP,has a computer program they run new melodies through and if more than 8 notes in a row line up with a song that's already in the database,they'll give you the option of changing it or else you can't register the song with them!

Thanks

Question

a friend told me that there's some law about how much a new song can be equal to an existing one (about 4 measures can be similar or equal, I dunno!). Are there any specific laws, if yes, up to which grade is it legal to "borrow" some notes???

Thanks

Wink

They just banned Napster, what makes you think they can't ban a D chord.........

Thread Information