Famous, "stolen" songs???

"Runaround" by Blues Traveler is exactly the same song as that Sister Hazel song... "Hard To Say"
Same chords, same tempo.

"Can't You See" by the Marshall Tucker Band and "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Yeah... this could go on forever

Billy Joel copied the 2nd movement of Beethoven's Piano Sonata in C minor (Pathetique) for his chorus "This Night".
Phil Collins remake of "Groovy Kind of Love" (can't remember the original performers) takes it theme right from the Rondo section of a Sonatina (49) by Kohler.
There are many examples, but I think it's a cool way for people to remember the past (though I think I'd better stay away from that topic....it's well covered in The Beatle's thread);)

"Runaround" also has the same chords as "NFB (dallabnikufecin)" by Anthrax, though played about twice as fast. How do I know? I was actually in a band that played the silliest Anthrax song ever.
And actually, I think Procol Harum made it pretty clear that "Whiter Shade of Pale" had classical music in it, so I think that might be more borrowed than stolen.

So the difference between stealing a melody and borrowing one is what exactly? Fessing up to it?

Byonce Knowles - Crazy In Love.

The main beat in the back reminds me of some tune in the 70's. Can't remember what tune exactly, does someone knows?

When Susannah Cries (Espen Lind) vs The Rose (Bette Midler?)
Compare the chords and the melody right from the start

Milkbomb said:
If you want to hear a band steal from themselves, go to http://www.ilikemeat.com/nickelbacksucks.php

make sure you have headphones on.
Enjoy!!!!

fucking hell, laughed my ass off. I thought Nickelback at least sucked in a half original way.

and yes, Prince wrote "Manic Monday". Speaking of which, Ryan Adam's "Chelsea Hotel Night's" copies "Purple Rain" almost exactly - chors progression, verse melody - only thing that's different is the chorus. It's even got the guitar solo at the end, although not as virtuoso as Prince's,

how about the opening of Oasis' "Don't Look Back in Anger" vs "Imagine". I can't think of any more right now but there are HEAPS out there.

I think there's going to be repetition to a degree with stuff like this, as everybody is affected by what they listen to, so stuff is bound to come out. Its a question of whether they claim the melody, or chord progression, or whatever, enough to make it their own. In Ryan Adam's case, I think he does - the message and feeling is entirely different from "Purple Rain".

just my 2 cents

Yes it is known that Oasis loves to mimic The Beatles.

But for Crazy In Love, doesn't the beat in the back just reminds you of something?

How about the Puddle of Shit song...Sorry, I mean Mudd...'she fuckin hates me'?

Obviously a rip from the Suicidal Tendencies "I Saw Your Mommy".

nickjc said:
Its a question of whether they claim the melody, or chord progression
Hard to claim a chord progression. Dont think that is possible. Maybe if its a complete copy of a chordprogression for a whole song, but even then it will be hard to say you are the owner of a progession of chords. Think about "Let it be" the Beatles. 1000's of pop tunes (known and unknown) is using the Chord progression from the verse. And most probably someone did it before beatles as well.
It's more a question of similarity in rythm, choise of instruments, vocals AND chordprogression that makes an obvious copy.
If you find a good chordprogression, it's allmost 100% sure that is has been used before. Maybe in some tune that you havent heard but hey, anyway. Making music inspired from someone is great, making music by copying a chordprogression after having heard it on the radio is a sad story :)
Good Luck!

It's naive to think that there won't be striking similarities between melodies, let alone chord progressions (which are not copyrightable). There are hundreds of thousands of songwriters at all levels out there. If you just look in Nashville and the output of just the most successful few hundred writers you are probably talking about 30,000+ songs a year being created. It's actually astounding that there aren't more infringment cases. Although, you have to prove that the infringer had access to the infringed work in order to have a successful case.

"Love Divine" by Phil Keaggy = "All My Loving" by The Beatles

CMiller said:
So the difference between stealing a melody and borrowing one is what exactly? Fessing up to it?
ROFLMAO!

Sherman, set the wayback machine for the 1960's.

Wild Thing = Louie Louie

I once started making a tape of sound-alike songs, and the only one I remember right off the bat is

Double Vision (Foreigner) / Love is the Drug (Roxy Music)

More recently, there's a part in U2's "Vertigo" that is a total ripoff of the Supremes' "Keep Me Hangin' On."

"A lesser artist borrows, a great artist steals." --Igor Stravinsky

T-nm said:
I'm still searching for Crazy In Love lol.

the Beyonce song is duped from "love to love ya baby"...maybe not the name but i saw it on VH1 disoc somethin or other,it's a real sexual sounding song

anyone remember tears for fears "sowing the seeds of love" i thought it was a Beatles song til i actually listened to it it rips all over " i am the walrus"

goo googa joob

Back