Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: EQing vocals

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Yes, post a clip with no processing at all and perhaps one with all your processing.

Your description sounds like a lot more than I would do, but I do generally have better spaces to record in. Normally I'll have an eq with one to three (sometimes up to five) filters active followed by compression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    If you can post some clips of your audio that'd be great but, in general, the less you can do to the signal the better.
    There'll pretty much always be some amount of background hiss from preamps/microphones but if it's so low that you can't hear it while audio is playing I'd just leave it there.
    No matter how good a noise reduction algorithm is, it's always going to be removing something you don't want it to.

For the other sounds that you're scanning for, it sounds like maybe that's build ups of reflections at certain frequencies, from your room.
    If that's the case then a reflection filter or rockwool panels would certainly help with that.

In the ideal world you want to be able to record and have it sound good before doing anything in the digital realm. (if possible...)
    Vocals processed all together:

soundcloud.com/evilashs/vocalsprocessed/s-e9I3A

Vocals processed isolated:

soundcloud.com/evilashs/vocalsisolated/s-pQOqo

Vocals unprocessed:

soundcloud.com/evilashs/vocalsunprocessed/s-W6IEs

There is a bug in soundcloud when I put in private links :/ so I removed the https part.

I applied pitch correction, I didn't tune my voice to upload this as fast as I could. Didn't seem that 'robotic' in fl studio, oh well.

Thanks
    Vocal tone is a matter of taste, but to my taste you're over-processing it. It definitely needs a cut in the lows (HPF) because there's some booming/rumbling, but otherwise it doesn't sound too far off from good. I'd have to hear it in a mix to decide what I'd do. Most likely I'd give it a bit of a boost in the highs for clarity.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bouldersoundguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Vocal tone is a matter of taste, but to my taste you're over-processing it. It definitely needs a cut in the lows (HPF) because there's some booming/rumbling, but otherwise it doesn't sound too far off from good. I'd have to hear it in a mix to decide what I'd do. Most likely I'd give it a bit of a boost in the highs for clarity.
    Thanks for the feedback and I agree, the compressor is too tight!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 933 Posts
    Yeah, I agree. Definitely overdoing it here.
    The raw clip, with its flaws, sounds far better than the processed one.

Sounds like maybe there are some air blasts or handling noise so you can address that with a popfilter/shockmount/mic technique.
    If you're on a cardioid mic, and you're very close to it, stepping back just an inch or two might help with the strong bass.
    Also having the mic a little low and tilted up, rather than a little high and tilted down, can help with reducing bass too.

Probably still need a HPF but other than that the raw clip is natural sounding and totally workable.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Steenamaroo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Definitely overdoing it here.
    The raw clip, with its flaws, sounds far better than the processed one.

Sounds like maybe there are some air blasts or handling noise so you can address that with a popfilter/shockmount/mic technique.
    If you're on a cardioid mic, and you're very close to it, stepping back just an inch or two might help with the strong bass.
    Also having the mic a little low and tilted up, rather than a little high and tilted down, can help with reducing bass too.

Probably still need a HPF but other than that the raw clip is natural sounding and totally workable.
    Many thanks for the help guys, you've been really helpfull !

I might step back in the next recordings and the mic is pointing up, at least I got that right !

Can you check this and tell me if it's ok now?

soundcloud.com/evilashs/vocals/s-Mlimg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 933 Posts
    That sounds a fair bit more natural, yeah!
    Although it does sound like maybe you're making fine (tight-q) eq boosts around 5/600 and 1k?
    Generally narrow boosts stand out whereas gentler broad boosts sound more natural.

Here, I worked from your unprocessed clip from earlier.
    Ignoring the plosives, this sounds OK to me.

test.mp3

eq-jpg
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Steenamaroo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some info that you may find helpful: 12 Essential Steps for Mixing Lead Vocals | Waves
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thread Information