'empty' tracks..

Tifstorey

Guinea Pig
Hi,

Ive been writing electronic ambient tracks for about 60 months now. Influenced alot by Zero 7, Massive Attack etc. Basically, recently when ive been recording tracks, they seem really empty, and i cant think of anything else to add to them.. I always start of with a bass line, then add a drum beat. Once i have that i add a treble instrument like an acoustic guitar or rhodes piano. Ive been thinking it could be that they dont contain vocals, but i hear alot of other tracks that dont contain vocals, but these sound full etc.

I tried adding different ambient 'noises' to the tracks but this just gives it a muddy unclear sound... Does anyone else experience this? Know what i could try to possibly give my tracks a more 'fuller' feeling?

as usual, thanks for any suggestions!

Peace

How much are you doubing parts? Playing guitar chords with different voicings? Don't pan everything hard. Utilize the 25%, 50%, and 75% marks (or any varient of these).

Post something we can listen to, I bet you'll get a lot of suggestions...

Not sure how much this'll help

give it some synth!

Ambient reverb does create a wash of noise but eventually it will just blur the image. Have you seen the Spectrasonics Atmosphere? A wonderful sounding synth that creates interesting textures that make a massive difference. There are hundreds of synths that'll do the job... this one is just particularly pleasing.

Also layering is essential. It doesn't have to be thousands of tracks but little hints of subtle sounds allow the (sometimes herb awoken) mind to drift. The great thing about those artists music is that if you listen to it several times, each time you'll hear something new buried in the mix.

A little ambient reverb at the end to blend it together but keep it minimal.

If the songs "feel" like they might be missing vocals to you, then maybe they lack a lead instrument?

Is everything so focussed on the rhythm of the song that a melody is missing?

I'd have to hear something in order to have an objective opinion really...

- Tanlith -

I have something which you can listen to, although if you ignore the intro to it. Its obviously not finished, but i had intentions of including some vocals at the start over the drums and the bass line. The main part is with the main strings and arpeggiated melody over the top. I had some other ideas of including some scratching over it, not fast 'hardcore' scratching, just some nice sounds.

Have a listen and let me know whats missing :) Meandatron

Thanks again

I like the sound you've put together. I think it shows great promise. It does however all rotate around one main loop. I'd say at key points, when you want to accent a change, modulate the bass line up or down to give a sense of the music moving on... of going somewhere. The second bassline works really well, I'm not sure that you've used it to it's full potential.

Perhaps, when this 'change' happens alter the drums... not hugely, but maybe change from Hihat to ride cymbal.

At the moment it sounds a little 'Boards of Canada' so maybe check out there stuff for some ideas. They layer samples over the top of a track like that instead of vocals to add interest.

The best way to listen to them... so I'm told... is with a herbal cigarette... just imagine yourself in a giant warm bubble!

In general, I really liked it. Listen to as much stuff as you can and go back to it after a break... it's much easier to hear what's missing once you haven't heard your track for a day or two.

Good stuff! ;)

Fishybob said:
I like the sound you've put together. I think it shows great promise. It does however all rotate around one main loop. I'd say at key points, when you want to accent a change, modulate the bass line up or down to give a sense of the music moving on... of going somewhere. The second bassline works really well, I'm not sure that you've used it to it's full potential.

Perhaps, when this 'change' happens alter the drums... not hugely, but maybe change from Hihat to ride cymbal.

At the moment it sounds a little 'Boards of Canada' so maybe check out there stuff for some ideas. They layer samples over the top of a track like that instead of vocals to add interest.

The best way to listen to them... so I'm told... is with a herbal cigarette... just imagine yourself in a giant warm bubble!

In general, I really liked it. Listen to as much stuff as you can and go back to it after a break... it's much easier to hear what's missing once you haven't heard your track for a day or two.

Good stuff! ;)

Cheers man,

Yeah, its strange, i actually thought the other day when listening to it that the drums need changing when after the 'break'. Cant really understand why i didnt change them..

I was wanting some vocals to kind of 'talk' over the start, just something which would give the listener something else to think about. Ill give it a go, and definately check out the 'boards of canada' music.

Cheers,

Peace

I'd give it a listen, but soundclick insists that I signup to be a listener... sorry, not gunna happen. My personal info is just that personal... I can be a dick that way.

If you're using sound click as a means to advertise and get attention for yourself, then you might wanna go somewhere else. I really can't see any producer or A&R guy taking the time to sign up to listen to music - they got too much stuff to look through as it is... I'd go with somewhere that offers FREE no BS listening. Yeah soundclick is free, but the BS is having to "sign up".

I'd go with someone like nowhereradio.com or misposure.com

- Tanlith -

tanlith said:
If you're using sound click as a means to advertise and get attention for yourself, then you might wanna go somewhere else. I really can't see any producer or A&R guy taking the time to sign up to listen to music - they got too much stuff to look through as it is... I'd go with somewhere that offers FREE no BS listening. Yeah soundclick is free, but the BS is having to "sign up".

I'd go with someone like nowhereradio.com or misposure.com

- Tanlith -

..Am i reading this correctly? Are you trying to say im here purely to try and advertise my stuff? ...Ive just woken up, so i cant really understand why you would write this, but maybe im wrong. If you think im here just to advertise my stuff to potential PRs 'surfing the net' at this perticular time, then im afraid your wrong. I posted my track for people to listen to it and help me out :)

As far as i know, Anyone can access music at Soundclick.com whether their members or not.

Thanks again for peoples help :)

Tifstorey said:
..Am i reading this correctly? Are you trying to say im here purely to try and advertise my stuff? ...Ive just woken up, so i cant really understand why you would write this, but maybe im wrong. If you think im here just to advertise my stuff to potential PRs 'surfing the net' at this perticular time, then im afraid your wrong. I posted my track for people to listen to it and help me out :)

As far as i know, Anyone can access music at Soundclick.com whether their members or not.

Thanks again for peoples help :)

Tanlith *baps* you with a dead slimy fish

I wasn't trying to say that's why you're here, I was merely pointing out that if that was your intent you might want to rethink it... you'd be surprised how many of my clients slap a website up then two weeks later wonder why no-ones found it...

... *smack* *bap* *swat*

silly twit :p :p :p :p

--=={ Tanlith }==--

tanlith said:
Tanlith *baps* you with a dead slimy fish

I wasn't trying to say that's why you're here, I was merely pointing out that if that was your intent you might want to rethink it... you'd be surprised how many of my clients slap a website up then two weeks later wonder why no-ones found it...

... *smack* *bap* *swat*

silly twit :p :p :p :p

--=={ Tanlith }==--

Ah right thats ok then :D

Sorry, like i said, i was really tired and i got the intention thats what you were meaning, so i got all confused..

...No need to slap me with a dead slimy fish though :(

Back