The Dream.........Ever experienced it?

Melody master

About 2 nights ago,and 4 months before that, and about 4 months before that, and about 2 months Before that even!! I had these strange dreams, where I thought of something, and a bases to a tune was heard, tunes that i'd never heard of before, luckery for me, I have a keyboard that records tracks, but fuck, it didn't half freak me out, coz, believe it or not, the tunes, were pretty damn good! I keep getting them, and feel, that it is some kind of gift(wahey to the gift!!)!! I have wondered, am I the only one who has experienced this, or are there any others out there that have experienced this strange occurance!! Peace!!!!!!!(to the gift!)

I sometimes get it when I take a nap. It's not planned. It's luck when it happens. It's like my brain goes on automatic tune focus. I don't get whole songs, just hooky sections. So I usually must finish the song.

I wrote a couple of song sections after a dream sequence. One was a dream about me & this women I was dating, We're in her house conversing and, all of a sudden, half a dozen of her friends & relatives are outside the kitchen window singing what turned out to be the chorus I ended up recording. Then, we leave her place, I look in the kitchen window, and there they are singing the damn thing again. Then I woke up, it was about 3am, and stumbled to the recorder while humming the chorus over and over till it was tracked.

Dig it! Sometimes you just gotta hum to get it down before its gone. I hum a lot of melodic lines, but they come to me at the most inopportune times. I'm sure I'll be humming my magnum opus to an audience of one and it will come and go. Congratulations, snagging them and bringing them to life is the hard part.

Yep, know the great feeling. Unfortunetey, I tend to forget them quit quick.... I've heard Lenny Kravitz say that he dreamed a lot of his albums.

I had a dream once that was very vivid...the gist of it was I experienced every possible combination of notes....no shit, I'm serious...it was quick and heavy....I think it was my subconscious telling me I'm pissin' in the wind as far as the real world goes, and that the music I make will never compare to what I heard that night.....but the dream didn't upset me, because even though I can't seem to re-create it, it's still in me somehow....gibs

MM - trying it out in the light of day is the test. I had a couple of music dreams a couple of times, and in the dreams, I was knocked out by the beauty, elegance and power of what I was hearing. I woke up, and quickly got my guitar and worked it out. In both cases, it turned out to be three chords and a really simple, almost annoyingly simple, melody. :D Apparently Winston Churchill had a dream once in which he had this amazingly deep revelation or insight, and when he woke up from the dream, he wrote it down in a bedside notebook. When he woke up later on, he read something like: "There's a strange smell in the room."

Me and Winston - we're tight.

MM - I trust what happened to you, sounds like a gift alright, but it doesn't seem to work so well for me. But when music comes through for me when I'm awake, it seems like a gift too.

Never got a tune in my sleep yet. Sometimes they do come to me at other weird times though and sometimes I wonder where the heck they come from.

dobro -

concerning the simple melody you dreamed that was stunningly beautiful:

Mozart once said that he would have given all his works to be able to say that he had written the first line of the "Exultet" which is gregorian chant; no chords or accompaniement, just a simple melody.

Sometimes the simple melodies are the most powerful.

TUcci

I whish I'd dream some nice tunes too...

Tucci, you're definitely right. I think the most powerful melodies just consist of basically three or four notes, e.g. "Knocking on Heaven's Door", "Here Come's the Sun", verse of "Wonderwall", and many others, but you don't even realize that it's just varíations of three notes that you're humming. It's magic!

d this mad tune!! I'll always rememeber that morining, it was exilerating, I really hope you guys experience it!!! I'll be praying you do!!

PeAcE!!
MeLoDy MaStEr!!!!!

choked.........I just spent ages writing this whole eassay, and its disapeared!! ARGHHHHHHHHHH, notice how the other letter above just clicks in there straight away!
ARGHHHHHHHH harsh as fuck!!!!
I was on about this time when I woke up one morning on my day of from work, to the sund of my brother playing his decks, but swiftly drifted back of to sleep again, to be in this dream where I was at a festival(if any of you guys have ever heard of it its called homelands), I was outside at first looking at the main arena, and suddenly I was inside the tent!!! there were people everywhere dancing to this mad tune, it sounded wicked!!
I awoke anyway, and the first thing i thought was that my brother was playing the decks, so I jumped outta bed and asked him if he'd been playing his decks in the last five minutes, he replied "no about half an hour ago mate", I litterey ran to my room, and started recording this melody, and with in half an hour I had recorded this pretty mad tune!!!! I played it for hours thinking about how mental the experience was, shouting and woohing!!!
I hope I get it that good again, it was soooooo exilerating, and I hope you guys all have the same experience one time or another!!! PEACE!!!!!

MeLoDy MaStEr!

The conscious,waking part of you is only part of who you really are;the part that is focused in "space" and "time"...there's a whole lot going on that your intellect tries to make sense of when you remember a "dream".Cheers!

I dream some great stuff but I'm always too tired to get up and play or hum it into a tape deck. Sometimes I dream I'm conducting an orchestra, and they are playing what I'm thinking at that moment, without written pages. And it sounds GREAT.

aphex

I remember reading an interview with the electronic artist Aphex Twin where he said that he dreams ALL of his songs. I don't think he uses the humming method though (if you're familiar with his stuff, I think you know what I mean).

Back