Does my singing voice ruin my throat?

Jonathan Magnis

Hi beutiful people.

As everyone here, I love to sing. I took some singing lessons a while ago and I'm going to take new ones when I can afford it. Till then I'm still singing and recording somehing, while I keep doing some exercises I used to do back then.

My question is, listen to the track I give and I would like to know if my singing style may be dangerous for me, since it comes natural for me to sing like this, 'roughly'. When I sing I don't feel any stress in my throat or anywhere else but the least thing I want to do is to damage my voice!

By the way, last question: is there a 'name' for this type of singing?

thank you very much!

link track: https://soundcloud.com/scribbless/blank-space-taylor-swifr-cover

You might want to have a professional vocal coach evaluate your technique, especially if you are tightening the throat muscles to get that "gritty" sound. I don't sing that way, but I've had two vocal teachers tell me that there is a right and wrong way to do it, and that you will probably damage your voice is you do the wrong way for too long. I'm not saying that YOU'RE doing it the wrong way, but I think the risk is there, and if you want to keep singing like that, I think it's a good idea to check with someone who knows.

As for the type of singing, I'd just call it your basic "rock n roll" singing, as opposed to a lot of pop or classically-based singing that strives to be clear and bell-like: think Meatloaf, or Axl Rose.

This is not dangerous in anyway, you sing in side your range you're not even close of getting too high therefore it is not dangerous.

This is not dangerous in anyway, you sing in side your range you're not even close of getting too high therefore it is not dangerous.

That's not all there is to it tho. He sounds like he's tightening up his throat on some of the "gritty" notes. In general, the goal is to have your throat as relaxed as possible to not hurt yourself.

You also really need to work on pitch.

Back