View Poll Results: How do you feel about your singing voice?

Voters
773. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love my voice!

96 12.42%
  • My voice is o.k., but could be better.

186 24.06%
  • I have mixed feelings about it.

216 27.94%
  • My voice is not so good, but I live with it.

104 13.45%
  • I hate hearing myself on tape. Sometimes I want to quit.

171 22.12%
Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Like (Or Hate) Your Voice?

Thanks

Do You Like (Or Hate) Your Voice?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seems like the best forum.

I have written lots of tunes, but I'm not a strong vocalist. I have recorded off and on with "real" singers on ocassion, and no, I haven't sold any records yet ( ).

Anyway...whether you are a singer or not, have you ever listened to yourself on tape and grown to hate your singing voice? That's where I'm at right now. I've been doing lots of takes on several tunes of late, and I just seem to hate it more and more.

Discuss!!!

[Short poll added.]
    Hear Jack's music
    See Jack's art

Thanks
    ...and just in case you want to hear what I sound like, here's a real short vocal for you, with no FX.

http://207.234.203.53/JRSings.mp3
    Hear Jack's music
    See Jack's art

Thanks

Trust me...I am in that some boat

I've gone down the same road as you are on, had others sing my tunes...and tried to sing myself...but even though I really don't like my voice (More a lack of training than anything...) I prefer it to everyone else I've tried, simply because it's the closest to how I wrote the tunes...

http://www.betarecords.com/openframe...gically.placed

It ain't always pretty...but it's mine...lol

Thanks
    I hear ya, man.

Singers can really miss the "groove" of a song, even though they might have better technique.

It is like poetry also. Would you rather the actual poet give the reading, or have someone with a "beautiful speaking voice" read the poem?
    Hear Jack's music
    See Jack's art

danny.guitar Guest
    I hate the fucking sound of my voice. That's why I don't sing. That's why my songs have no words. I wish I could sing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danny.guitar
    I hate the fucking sound of my voice. That's why I don't sing. That's why my songs have no words. I wish I could sing.
    I'm the same...I can take the creative process pretty far, and i like arranging, but I have to drag a friend in to do vocals. And if they're not on the same page as me - which often happens - that's the whole thing wasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gummblefish
    Went out yesterday all day long and spent 125 quid on a bender (not literally a bender )

Reluctantly crouched at the starting line
    Thanks
    i like to sing but not in front of other people, haha. i wish my voice was more rockin' though, it's too bland and lame sounding.
    Maybe you can interface with my ass, by biting it.
    "It's hopeless. I can hear all this great music in my head, but my stupid hands can't keep up..."

Thanks
    It was VERY VERY VERY (that's three very's) hard for me to break the ice and sing in front of people. I think I was a pretty good singer, but there was just some wall between me and singing in front of people.

That's not really the point of this, so I don't know why I said it. But, I sing ALL the time.. wherever I may be.. much more when I'm alone.. but it's practice, you know? So I think I'm improving as a singer all the time, as well. I'm in a Christian band, and you can probably count the number of times I have sung publicly (performed) on two hands. But from those performances, judging by the compliments and everything, I've come to realize I can sing pretty good.. although sometimes it may be harder to convince myself that I am a good singer.

My self-confidence is a roller coaster.. sometimes I feel great about myself as a musician/vocalist.. and sometimes maybe I'll have an off day when we practice or perform.. and the confidence'll hit the ocean floor. But.. all in all, I think I kind of like my voice.

**oh, and if you go to my soundclick or myspace to hear my voice.. that's not me.. that's my brother.. in the Cat song.. haha. I am in the background a little, though.. with harmonies.**

Thanks
    During the recording process, I'll hear myself hitting bum notes, so I'll redo the part, until I feel sure about the pitch. At times I really think my voice has expression, passion, and good technique. And, I'm getting the "poetry" aspect of the song down and conveying it well...

Then I mix it down later, and again I feel like it sucks.

And I have lots of demos like this piling up over the years. One thing is consistent: even though other singers will do a better job technically, I always prefer to listen to my songs with my own voice. The "original" always has more substance and value to me.
    Hear Jack's music
    See Jack's art

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by austinm08
    It was VERY VERY VERY (that's three very's) hard for me to break the ice and sing in front of people. I think I was a pretty good singer, but there was just some wall between me and singing in front of people.

That's not really the point of this, so I don't know why I said it. But, I sing ALL the time.. wherever I may be.. much more when I'm alone.. but it's practice, you know? So I think I'm improving as a singer all the time, as well. I'm in a Christian band, and you can probably count the number of times I have sung publicly (performed) on two hands. But from those performances, judging by the compliments and everything, I've come to realize I can sing pretty good.. although sometimes it may be harder to convince myself that I am a good singer.

My self-confidence is a roller coaster.. sometimes I feel great about myself as a musician/vocalist.. and sometimes maybe I'll have an off day when we practice or perform.. and the confidence'll hit the ocean floor. But.. all in all, I think I kind of like my voice.

**oh, and if you go to my soundclick or myspace to hear my voice.. that's not me.. that's my brother.. in the Cat song.. haha. I am in the background a little, though.. with harmonies.**
    I know the feeling I go up and down over whether Im any good or not(like a lot of people do, Im sure)... but I too sing a lot, around the house and at work to myself, in the car, etc etc... but I still have reservations about singing in front of a crowd, or having people listen to my recorded material.

Im fine with performing with a group in front of people if Im not out front, but the second the proverbial spotlight is put on me, I don't freeze, but I do become very aware (or suspicious, anyway), that everyone is thinking "Man, this guy sucks, I wish he'd shut the f*ck up"

Ah well, if they really didn't like it that much, they'd either leave, complain, or act uncomfortable. Ive gotten a fair bit of compliments, so perhaps it is mostly an inner struggle...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford Van
    I AM RIGHT

Thread Information