Collaboration...

tamky

Has anyone evr collaborated with another person on writing a song via long distance. I.e., each writing seperate tracks and exchanging files, etc. If so, can you tell me a little bit about how you wnet about it. Who wrote what? How was it decided? How did you transfer files? Other info? Thanks.

tamky said:
Has anyone evr collaborated with another person on writing a song via long distance. I.e., each writing seperate tracks and exchanging files, etc. If so, can you tell me a little bit about how you wnet about it. Who wrote what? How was it decided? How did you transfer files? Other info? Thanks.
Tamky, I do it all the time. As far as structure, and such, just figure that out in conversation. Many times, someone will post what they have, and ask if anyone else wants to play. If you have something specific in mind, just ask for it. Someone might be able to provide it.
As far as transfering files, I use my own server, but NL5 has been letting people use his space, or you can just post it on soundclick or some other site. If you get a gmail account, it will let you email big files also.
Hope this helps.
Ed

Dogman said:
Tamky, I do it all the time. As far as structure, and such, just figure that out in conversation. Many times, someone will post what they have, and ask if anyone else wants to play. If you have something specific in mind, just ask for it. Someone might be able to provide it.
As far as transfering files, I use my own server, but NL5 has been letting people use his space, or you can just post it on soundclick or some other site. If you get a gmail account, it will let you email big files also.
Hope this helps.
Ed
Yes, it helps. Thanks for taking the time to answer. Where would one see those posts? In this forum section?

tamky said:
Yes, it helps. Thanks for taking the time to answer. Where would one see those posts? In this forum section?
I usually do it by PM, but sometimes, I post a portion in teh MP3 clinic, as far as a general sound, and see if someone has any input. I have a tune I am working on right now that I have in the Songwriting Clinic, and the response toit has been less than stellar. Only a few have replied. I think perusing teh MP3 clinic, and listening to what people are doing, and then send them a PM is probably the best. We have done several collabs that were spontaneous...someone posts a song, and asks for comments, and others just seem to jump in with some help, and it goes from there.

My band is rather spread out so we record most of our stuff and exchange online. Most of the time, our guitarist(our main writer) laids down the foundation of the music, then he sends it to the rest of the members, we give critiques and he polishes it. Then our bass player laids down his tracks, and I lay down the vocals/keyboard. We currently don't have a drummer yet.

Back