co-writing & politics

NationalSandwic

Hello.

I need some advice or suggestions re: co-writing. I play in a band that I have just started. I didn't recruit people and say 'this is my band', we're all old acquaintances that came decided to start a project. I have written a lot of my own stuff but I am a complete newbie to the concept of co-writing. Enter the politics of music.

I don't want to waltz in and tell people what to play. They are all good musicians with stuff to contribute. I write a lot of stuff and have a lot of basically complete material that I want to use. The other songwriter also has material that he has worked on. Here is the problem:

Whenever we get together to jam/rehearse, we end up doing nothing constructive and writing new material off the cuff that is farcical, because it turns into a joke session. We all have fun and enjoy a good laugh, but there has to come a time when everyone focuses. There is an issue about whose songs we should play and how much we can change them (musos... go figure, all self-centred bastards).

Is there any method to get around this. We just can't seem to make progress. Surely there are people here that co-write with others... what have you done to avoid a huge conflict? Any suggestions?

Thanks
NS

I guess it depends how complete your songs are, and whether you 'need' any more input on what may or may not be needed to improve the song(s). I was fortunate for awhile, in that I worked with a few people who would play the parts that I had in mind and just follow through.

Again, how you present the parts to various musicians in the band is key.

Easier just to be rid of them all and record everything yourself.... :) Not really.

On your songs, yes - waltz in and tell (suggest, nicely or otherwise) people what to play - only way to do it. And when other members come up with material, be the opposite. Unless of course, their music sucks. Then well.. .

As for co-writing. Jamming out idea's is useful, and that sounds sort of like what you are doing at the moment. It's a great way to hash out ideas. Whether they end up being a band members contribution, or just a random idea that you end up using.. who knows.

yea.

I used to have that same problem. Its all a matter of lazyness. Whoever can't write a full song doesn't get to show it to the rest of the band. Sometimes bands memeber's songwriting just doesn't go well together either. What I would suggest is writing your own full arrangements. I write full songs, and tab them out for the rest of the band. They usually like them. I record them, so they can play them. It really works, if you write stuff on your spare time, tab out the whole thing, they can learn it overnight and you guys can get somewhere. If they are able to do it, you can give them the tabs to your part, and they could listen or whatever, and tab there own parts. Ok later.

Re: yea.

musicsdarkangel said:
If they are able to do it, you can give them the tabs to your part, and they could listen or whatever, and tab there own parts.
That's the way our band does it, our guitar player/singer writes the guitar part and lyrics then plays the song for me and our bass player. Then we critique the songs "as a band" and make changes when necessary and if he doesn't like the changes, we come to a "compromise" (BIG part in being in a band) even though he writes the songs we still polish them and put on the finishing touches as a group. I would also like to play some of the stuff that I've written but unfortunately I'm not that good at writting lyrics, but I write some very good guitar parts. So I would have to have him write the lyrics to my music, and because I'm the drummer most of what I write is mostly slow acoustic finger picking type stuff (with no drums) because no one else in the band can play drums......good anyways. :D

Back