classcial chords and scales?

JHOOKS

whats up people! hey do you guys know what are the most common or base chords and scales use for classical music? are they the major scales (intervals2212221) and harmonic minor (intervals2122131)? im learning about scales and chords so please be patient with me!thanks :D

Yes - there are 3 minor scales. Natural, Harmonic, and Melodic

Natural is the scale in its simplest form, you could say. A minor has no sharps or flats, so the natural minor scale looks like this:

A B C D E F G A
- in steps, whole half whole whole half whole whole

the harmonic minor has the 7th raised a half step

A B C D E F G# A

the melodic minor raises the 6th and 7th going up and lowers them going back down the scale:

A B C D E F# G# A G F E D C B A

That's the basics of minor scales!

JHOOKS said:
whats up people! hey do you guys know what are the most common or base chords and scales use for classical music?
Depends what you mean by classical music. Do you mean Mozart and Haydn? Do you also mean 20th century and contemporary composers of art music? Renaissance lute music? Impressionism? Chant? The entire tradition of Western European art music? "Classical music" is a very ill-defined stereotype.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Depends what you mean by classical music. Do you mean Mozart and Haydn? Do you also mean 20th century and contemporary composers of art music? Renaissance lute music? Impressionism? Chant? The entire tradition of Western European art music? "Classical music" is a very ill-defined stereotype.

Tim
what would you call mozart, bach, and haydn?
i think in this case more mozart, haydn. pardon for my lack of knowledge. :D in my case im a hiphop producer that is trying to learn different scales and chords and progression. all self taught, never had any training. i've been producing for several years and feel like know is the time for "me" to try to find more ways to produce. the kind of stuff i like is for ex: alicia keys and kanye, what types of scales and chords do they use most. not that im trying to sound like anybody but i just like having a good foundation. , i like to be able to pick out the chords and scales from a song. ok, now im rambling on ! sorry.... thanks for the feedback guys!!!! you guys rule!!!

Last edited:
OK, then I'd say the major, natural minor, harmonic minor and melodic minor (as already suggested) would be a good start. Also it'd be good to get to know the triads built on each scale degree... singing/playing them in arpeggiated form is an excellent way.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
OK, then I'd say the major, natural minor, harmonic minor and melodic minor (as already suggested) would be a good start. Also it'd be good to get to know the triads built on each scale degree... singing/playing them in arpeggiated form is an excellent way.

Tim

thanks tim you been a big help, i starting reading up on triads, but i've been overloading myself with new stuff! :eek: lol

If your learning about triads then stick with major and natural minor scales for now. They are relatively the same thing and the best for harmonizing triads.

Do you already know about intervals?

Back