Can't focus on songwriting

Paganinio

I doubt if I am writing songs at the normal speed or just snail speed. I write my songs about 4--6 hours a day, since I'll submit them to a recent contest. Every hour I can write about only 1--2 small pages; if you copy these pages it only takes 20 minutes to write down all the things I write in one day, just to show you how SLOWLY I write.
While I write my songs it's like something blocking my head, preventing my brain from working. Maybe that's why I write so slowly but there's nothing I can do. I guess the only way of stopping this is to NOT write any songs any more, but I would never give up songwriting.
And this happens everywhere, every time I try to write something(so it has been really difficult for me to finish my finished songs). If I write songs in a noisy place, the noise attracts me seriously. If I write songs in a quiet place, well, there's like noise from inside my brain. I can hear that noise yelling: "Just focus on this songwriting!" But that makes it worse.
But when I write a novel, a review, an essay, make a webpage, or draw a picture(creative works), it never happens.
Any suggestions?

i have the same problem, i cant seem to find a consistent environment for asong writing, everything i write seems to be the product of a spur of the moment event... maybe im just not trying hard enough :D

I don't know of a fix, but I'm right there with you. I spent about 2 hours the other day writing one verse and one chorus, and about half of each are placeholder lines until I can think of something better.

Paganinio said:
I doubt if I am writing songs at the normal speed or just snail speed. I write my songs about 4--6 hours a day, since I'll submit them to a recent contest. Every hour I can write about only 1--2 small pages; if you copy these pages it only takes 20 minutes to write down all the things I write in one day, just to show you how SLOWLY I write.
While I write my songs it's like something blocking my head, preventing my brain from working. Maybe that's why I write so slowly but there's nothing I can do. I guess the only way of stopping this is to NOT write any songs any more, but I would never give up songwriting.
And this happens everywhere, every time I try to write something(so it has been really difficult for me to finish my finished songs). If I write songs in a noisy place, the noise attracts me seriously. If I write songs in a quiet place, well, there's like noise from inside my brain. I can hear that noise yelling: "Just focus on this songwriting!" But that makes it worse.
But when I write a novel, a review, an essay, make a webpage, or draw a picture(creative works), it never happens.
Any suggestions?

4-6 hours a day!!!

Sounds like you are trying too hard... go take a break and do something relaxing... maybe you will find something to write about...

Good luck!

Try practicing stuff that encourages creative writing (doesn't have to be lyrics). I read this from a songwriting book a little while back, maybe it will help you: Every day, set aside 20 minutes and write something...anything that comes to your mind. Try to describe sights, colors, sounds, etc. and be descriptive. Try to get your thought finished, but if you can't do it in 20 minutes, just stop. The key is to STOP. This lets you practice getting thoughts to come faster (So I'm told) among other things, and maybe you'll be able to write complete excerpts within a few weeks.

Also, try to find a consistent place to write lyrics. For instance, I do a lot of writing while I'm in bed before I go to sleep. It helps you get settled (spatial locality stuff...whatever, I'm a dork :eek: ) and is a familiar place that will encourage what you're doing. It doesn't matter where you pick, just pick any place and make it your "song writing area".

Hope some or any of this helps.

I think you are definitely trying a bit too hard. Relax. Don't give yourself the old 'performance anxiety'. There are lots of different factors that need to be right when starting to write.

maybe you just don't have anything to say at the moment. There's nothing wrong with that. If you force songs out you might find that they lack spark and this will only reinforce your frustration.

Just don't put too much pressure on yourself. Remember, not every song that you write has to be brilliant. It's ok to write a few mediocre songs every now and then. They help the juices flow and might lead on to something better.

cheers,

Steven

It's could be key that you figure out what mindset most inspires you to write. Do you write most fluently when tired, hyper? Happy, angry, sad, or frustrated? See if equilibrium is best or if you write better when you're off balance somehow.

If you're writing for 6 hours a day it might be worthwhile to log how you're feeling as you write each portion that you do complete. Then try to write mostly at times when you feel like that.

Or this could all be nonsense that I just came up with of the top of my head. I'm really not sure.

Well I definitely know the methods you mentioned, and it seems to me that I'm already writing faster than most writers. Com'on, how many songs do a SIGNED songwriter write in a month? Maybe I write more.
I realized that every songwriter has my problem. Usually you spend 2 hours and only 12 minutes are used to write that brilliant part. That's quite enough. If you don't spend that 2 hours in the first place, well, you won't ever get that part either.

ax2x3m said:
... maybe im just not trying hard enough :D

This is just my opinion, but may be trying too hard. I find when i grip a pen and a pad and sit down and think... nothing, its a waste of time and the only thing you get out of it is a headache.

I found this true in my case, so whenever I feel the need to create lyrics for a song i've already written, or a song i haven't written yet (instrumentally), i tell myself this days in advance, and when words flow, they flow (and fast).

If i write a couple lines while im eating breakfast and i get stuck on where to go from there, i put it down. I find it that night and something snaps into place.

hope this helps,
Conrad

Guess you can try these ideas

Personally, I like the "special place" for songwriting method. I don't have one place in particular, but I personally like small coffee shops, starbucks, any sort of lounge really. Being in college, I frequent the school student union (Which incidentally also houses a coffeeshop).

I like to go to places like this because I have nothing else to do while I'm there. This way I can't put the writing down and do something else for a little while. For some people this might be a downside, but I like it.

I also like to read. Sometimes, reading a book or short story can really inspire you. You might wanna give that a shot.

Back