Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Breathing. I don't think I can breathe.

Thanks

Breathing. I don't think I can breathe.

Sign in to disable this ad
    When I sing I seem to get winded whenever I try to sustain something or...
    Ah I won't bore you all with the back-round story, here's the main point of this thread- I need to learn some sort of breath control technique or something.
    Can anyone help me out? Tips, videos, articles, lungs, perhaps your vocal cords? Throw it my way if it's not too much of a problem. I promise I'll check it out.

// Thanks for reading.

dintymoore Guest
    I was like that for a long time. It's pretty uncomfortable.

There was a post that we talked about breathing a few weeks ago: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=307450

Seth Riggs has some great books and videos, there's some on YouTube. I like his concept of speech level singing.

Thanks
    A friend of mine showed me a technique that she'd learned as part of a drama year.

Breathe in through your nose for 8 seconds. Be sure that you let the air into your belly - you'll know you are because if you place a hand on it, you should feel it expand and also you should feel a little strain - but nothing approaching pain.

Hold the breath for 8 seconds.

Release the air through clenched teeth and tightly pursed lips so you make a kind of hissing sound. Do this within 8 seconds and gradually increase by 4 second intervals until you get to 24 seconds. The goal is to make sure that there is absolutely no breath left in your belly by the end of the alloted timespan. You'll find that you have to learn to really control the breaths. For example, it's not as easy to get rid of it in 8 seconds as it seems, but I found it easier at 20 seconds. Oh, and at no point can you open your mouth.

You can play about also with the time you hold the breath but it's important to take 8 seconds breathing in.

Apparently this trains you in being able to take in and control breaths.
    I found it was interesting but I'm so full of air anyway ! Seriously though, I'd been working on my breathing some years before that. But try it, it may be useless for you or it may be the start of a promising road, who can tell........but you ?

New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grimtraveller View Post
    A friend of mine showed me a technique that she'd learned as part of a drama year.

Breathe in through your nose for 8 seconds. Be sure that you let the air into your belly - you'll know you are because if you place a hand on it, you should feel it expand and also you should feel a little strain - but nothing approaching pain.

Hold the breath for 8 seconds.

Release the air through clenched teeth and tightly pursed lips so you make a kind of hissing sound. Do this within 8 seconds and gradually increase by 4 second intervals until you get to 24 seconds. The goal is to make sure that there is absolutely no breath left in your belly by the end of the alloted timespan. You'll find that you have to learn to really control the breaths. For example, it's not as easy to get rid of it in 8 seconds as it seems, but I found it easier at 20 seconds. Oh, and at no point can you open your mouth.

You can play about also with the time you hold the breath but it's important to take 8 seconds breathing in.

Apparently this trains you in being able to take in and control breaths.
    I found it was interesting but I'm so full of air anyway ! Seriously though, I'd been working on my breathing some years before that. But try it, it may be useless for you or it may be the start of a promising road, who can tell........but you ?
    This is oh so true Grim ....I do a lot of sound in theater and this is exactly what all of the performer do in pre-show warm up along with stretches.
    It always seems a bit funny to witness (10 to 20 people at a time) but it does have a great value to the performers and their performance.

♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

dintymoore Guest
    RE: Breathing. I don't think I can breathe.

kidkage if you truly can't breath... well it was 11 hours ago when you started the thread... I hope you're ok.

Is anyone else concerned or is it just me?
    Last edited by dintymoore; 08-03-2010 at 10:00.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dintymoore View Post

kidkage if you truly can't breath... well it was 11 hours ago when you started the thread... I hope you're ok.

Nah.....He hasn't turned purple yet has he?

♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

dintymoore Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by moresound View Post
    Nah.....He hasn't turned purple yet has he?
    You're right, as long as we don't smell anything he's probably ok.

Thanks
    You're right, as long as we don't smell anything he's probably ok.
    Yeah he's ok. Even if he was a little discolored he would be fakein' it just for the attention of the girls.
    Maybe a little mouth to mouth.

Thanks

I was rescued by paramedics only a few hours after the thread was started. It was traumatizing though, kind of like watching Denise Richards in "The World is Not Enough"

Thanks
    On a serious note, thanks for the help.
    I'll try out that technique, I've already looked at the thread, and I'll check out youtube. Like I said I'll look into all the suggestions.

Thread Information