"Boxey" sounding vocals

Ante74

Hi folks,

I've just finished a song and although the vocals sound good in headphones (KRK Systems KNS-8400), it sounds really boxy in my car - the music is fine, its just the vocal. What might I be doing wrong? Too much reverb, and/or do I need to cut certain EQ frequencies? If so what might be the starting point to try?

TIA

Can you post a sound clip? I know it won't be what you're hearing in your car, but it may give us a clue.

There's Always a "boxy" sound in my vocals and Always centered somewhere around 1Khz. When I EQ the vocal track I'll set one of the EQ points at 1K , and jack it WAY up. Use the "Q" setting to make it look pretty narrow and sweep it left and right while listening to the track. Try and find the "worse" sounding boxy freq. you can. This is where you "cut" that freq. Way down. There may be other issues but this is where I always start. mark

There's Always a "boxy" sound in my vocals and Always centered somewhere around 1Khz. When I EQ the vocal track I'll set one of the EQ points at 1K , and jack it WAY up. Use the "Q" setting to make it look pretty narrow and sweep it left and right while listening to the track. Try and find the "worse" sounding boxy freq. you can. This is where you "cut" that freq. Way down. There may be other issues but this is where I always start. mark

Ahhh the dreaded boxy vocal sound :eek: This ^ is the way to check it. I check every vocal track. The boxy freq in a hi harm might be 750hz it might be 450 in the lead vocal. The boxy tone can just sometimes be the capture too, and we don't want our vocals to sound boxy. If the Lead vocal sounds to boxy I sing it again, try singing further or closer to the mic, whatever works. A boxy vocal is a do over. (assuming it can't be fixed in the mix)

Thanks guys, apologies for the late reply.

I will take your comments on board when I mix out the vocals next.
[MENTION=149]Mark[/MENTION] I think you've nailed it, definitely try your idea. [MENTION=106751]PDP[/MENTION] I'll also check the frequencies you mention. [MENTION=174503]spantini[/MENTION], unfortunately I don't feel confident enough to post a vocal right now.

Many thanks!

I know by experience that "Boxey" lies around ~ 350 Hz with regards to drums, but I'm not 100% sure about vocals. Could it be slightly higher than 350 Hz?

Back