Books on songwriting

About a year ago I bought "10 steps to songwriting success -Writing and marketing hit songs" from Jason Blume.
it contains good stories and helpful quotes and tips. it doesn't turn you into a hitwriter, but it really helped me improve my songwriting regarding structure and lyrics.

some examples:
KISS: keep it simple and singable
incorporation of "magic moments"
repetition, etc...

what I found out is that it's not bad writing "commercial" songs, as commercial means just that more people will like your songs...

but anyway: I'd also like to have some suggestions concerning songwriting-books!

smirky

I second the "The Craft and Business of Songwriting" by John Braheny recommendation. Another good one: "88 Songwriting Wrongs and how to Right Them," by Pat and Pete Luboff.

Yup, "The Craft and Business of Songwriting" by John Braheny is good..and it does the business end justice nicely...tells exactly where yer money comes from, royalty information, mechanical royalties, performing royalities, etc.......and don't think for a moment that yer "artistic integrety" is challenged by reading such a book.....writing music IS a craft as well as an artistic gift....if you are a furniture maker, you wanna make the best, using skills that are inclusive to your ideas...music same thing....my copy is a 1987/88 version published by Writer's Digest Books.....gibs

Written in My Soul!!!
Can't remember the author's name, but he was the editor of Musician magazine in the late 80's. It's a collection of well informed and in depth interviews about the songwriting process with about 30 artists like Neil Young, Springsteen, Elvis Costello, P McCartney, Tom Waits, and John Prine.

Best book I've ever read on the topic.
Jeff

Back