Best album in terms of lyrics or allround musically.

Krystof01

There are many great albums out there, which one do you acclaima nd why interms of its credibility. I will name mine after others so I can get an overview first.

Krystof,
That's really a tough one. Now I have to decide which of the first 5 or 6 DAN FOGELBERG albums to choose. Hell, I can't. "Netherlnds" or "Captured Angel". Fogelberg doesn't waste a single lyric. His musicianship is equally extraordinary. I place him above Lennon/McCartney- and I like them a lot. That's the way I see it...

Van Morrison's "Hymns To The Silence" CD
Elvis Costello: Any CD
Bob Dylan's "Blonde On Blone" & "Desire" CDs
Heck, Dylan helped free an innocent man from jail from the strength of his "Hurricane" lyrics...Amazing.

Pink Floyd - "The Wall"
Maybe a bit depressing but I think that lyrically and musically its a master piece.
So is U2's Rattle and Hum and Joshua Tree.

I did some thinking, and the Album with the best combination of Lyrics/Songwriting is without any doubt:
"Hatful of Hollow" by The Smiths.
Nothing else comes near.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tdukex:
Except "Octupus's Garden"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Throw out Maxwell's Silver Hammer while you're at it. Pretty good LP otherwise.

Sgt. Pepper - Beatles
Abbey Road - "
Electric Ladyland - Hendrix
Rumors - Fleetwood Mac
Songs from the big pink - The Band

I think dark side of the moon had some excellant lyrics on it. I think that may be one of the reasons it stayed so popular for so long, anyone could relate to them. As for
the music, well. Before Dark Side, Floyd was
pretty experimental and avant garde, After
dark side I think all they did was copy it
over and over.

The Doors: LA Woman
The Doors: The Doors
The Beatles: Abbey Road (I kinda like Octopus's garden:-))
Tom Waits: Swordfishtrombones

Other than the stuff I hear potential albums out of from some of the people here, there's nobody new I like very much album wise...Mr. Bungle's efforts are the exception...so here's a partial list of an old guy's faves:

Sgt.Pepper...Abbey Road ('cept for Hammer and Octopus, as mentioned earlier)

School's out..Alice Cooper
You Never Know Who Your Friends Are-Al Kooper
Deja Vu...CSNY
Led Zep..first one titled Led Zep
Tommy...The Who
Excitable Boy...Warren Zevon
Phases and Stages...Willie Nelson
Jar of Flies..Alice in Chains
This Time...Dwight Yoakum
Graceland..Paul Simon
Bridges to Babylon...Stones (ok, this one's only a couple years old)....gibs

Human Radio put out thier one and only CD in 1990, self-titled "Human Radio". Ross Rice is the main writer. They seem to be from Nashville, and I sincerely wish they would have had some commercial success. This would get my #1 vote.

Here are a few of my favourites (this is by no means a definitive and all inclusive list!!):

Master Of Puppets - Metallica
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Superunknown - Soundgarden
Portished - Portishead

There are bound to be more I haven't mentioned but I can't list 'em all!

Beatles - Revolver (cause of the timeless Tomorrow Never Knows, and the album has many different music styles)
Beatles - Abbey Rd.
Beatles - Pepper (of course)
Carole King - Tapestry
Rumors - Fleetwood Mac
CSN+Y - Deja Vu (cause I love 3 part harmonies)

I know Im an old fart and this alblums music
wasnt my usual fare but has anyone listened to Loves alblum, Forever Changes. Thats a great underated alblum.

Back