Bernie Taupin wanna be can't make himself Elton

Ivan314

I consider myself primarily a lyricists/vocalist who has tried over the years different approaches to making original music. Both collaborating with musicians and learning guitar (as an adult)with mixed results. Recently I decided to try and go it on my own with the music end, and start taking lessons again. But I'm frustrated with my lack of ability. I have been playing with some of the compositon type sofware (Jammer) and think this may be an alternative for me. I will keep plugging away at the guitar, but I must acknowledge my own limitations.

My question for the group is: does anyone know where I can find some more info about software that will compose for you? (I have Cakewalk Guitar Studio 2 already, and would love to find something that is compatable)

Knowing what you want is half the battle -

Jammer software does a nice job of arranging your pieces - if you have a fundemental understanding of basic music composition. As with anything start slow and build - K.I.S.S. Don't be in a hurry, we all have a different pace - find yours. Get a little bit more into theory. Look at sheet music of songs you like - become familiar with the measures and changes as they relate to the passage of time. Maybe even take a music course at the local community college. Also listen to music you like and try to figure out what they are doing, get a feel for it.

I'm no software . . . but . . .

From your analogy, I see that we share the same musical tastes. I would be honored if you allowed me to attempt some compositions to your lyrics. My most dominant musical influence is Elton John.

If you are interested, send some lyrics to TaxMan88@Mailcity.com

P.S. I am a songwriter and know how copyright works and I know how it feels to put your stuff out there. If it means anything to you, I give you my solemn word not to steal your lyrics.

Looking forward to hearing you. :D
--Tax

BTW . . .

If you couldn't tell, my main instrument is piano. I also play bass, guitar, and a bit of drums.

--Tax

As previously stated, Jammer is a decent software program however, I think Band In A Box is much more user friendly. Jammer allows much more control over the individual "musicians" but does require more in depth understanding of theory (or at least my older version does), whereas BIAB simply requires choosing a musical style and entering measures of chords. However BIAB does allow you to alter styles (change drum beats, ec.)

I play several instruments and work with songwriters helping them arrange and record demos, I use boh programs. After recommending both Jammer and BIAB to various people and getting feed back from them - I get the clear impression most people seem to prefer BIAB. Now they prepare the MIDI arrangement at home, bring me a disk, I beef it up, add guitar/vocals, etc. and they're on their way. Most people feel the software paid for itself after one song, since I don't have to lay down the rhythm tracks.

Also, the Sonic Foundry ACID software receives rave reviews if you want the ability to cut,paste and loop grooves. However I have no hands on with ACID, and can not offer an opinion.

Naturally there is nothing that beats collaborating and playing with real people (or even unreal people).

Back