Bad Sound

Sampson

I am a bad musician with a lousy voice. I have no training in music or writing. I have never played in a band and I have no desire to be a performer. I picked up the guitar as way to release and create and found that I do have a gift for writing lyrics and melody. I am recording songs in my basement on an a 4-track.
My question is this, is there a place for good songs that are poorly performed and recorded. I have a great passion for music as an art form but, realistically, I could never make the cut as a singer/songwriter/musician. I just would like to see if there is any interest in what I create or an outlet for someone to rework things that I have started.
I have to admit though, in creating for my own appreciation, I'm free of judgement, or need, other than my own simple pleasure. I'm afraid that inviting people into what I do may alter my approach and have a negative affect on my art. Maybe I will start to feel boundaries. Maybe I will develop a need for approval that overrides my need for expression. Maybe I will slowly lose the joy that comes from music. Maybe I will grow to resent my being gifted. Maybe I will die alone and naked in a motel room in Vegas. Maybe I'll just stop ranting and head to my basement. SEEYA!

Publish them
or sell them or something

and have someone else perform them

or get together with a band or someone who can really sing/play
and have them perform/record/whatever your songs

First of all, if you can write good songs, than the fact that you're a "bad musician" doesn't matter worth shit. I think punk rock and folk have taught us that. Sometimes being able to keep things simple is a really great quality. I think most heavy metal bands taught us that (by not keeping it simple, and sucking because of it).
Secondly, having a "lousy" voice might not matter. Do you think you have a lousy voice because you don't sound like what's on the radio? If that's it, then don't worry about it. And even though I think I might get my ass kicked on this board for saying it, I still will: even if you have a truly lousy voice, it might not even matter if you have good songs. Obviously, what makes a good vocalist is different to everybody. But there are people I can think of whose voice I can't stand but I can recognize that they write great songs.
I guess that letting other people hear your songs and performing can alter your songwriting (which can be a good or bad thing), but I also think that everyone has what the Clash call a "bullshit detector" that helps us realize when we're doing something musically just to please someone else and not because we want to. Sometimes I think it takes some work to learn to trust it, but I do think it's always there. Sorry that sounds kind of new agey.
Finally, I think if you like what you're creating, than chances are someone else will too. So keep doing it. Yeah. I want to hear your stuff, but I don't have MP3s or anything, at least not right now. If you want to send me a tape, send me an email and I'll give you my address.

Sampson, Pirateking, you guys f__king rock! I gotta tell you, Sampson, I'm not the greatest vocalist in the world, but I believe in what I'm creating. I used to play in a band with a guy(lead singer, by the way) that had a terrible voice... When he started. He and I have worked really hard to develop ourselves and even had the courage to perform. It was fun and it really pushed us to learn how to sing better. We knew and know we aren't the best, but I guess you can chalk it up to character. Our voices have character. In time, I believe, we(you, me, and my friend) will learn how to use our voices to make our songs work for them. I'm not telling you to go out and perform to get better, but just keep doing it and do it often! I appreciate that you guys(Sampson and Pirateking) acknowledge your souls because it seems like a lot of people don't. The both of you keep rockin', alright?

Your Friend,
Micah

Sampson, you sound like a Jerry Lynn Williams type to me. He's written songs for Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, and others, but never put out his own record. So called "house" songwriters are rarer these days than, say, forty years ago, but there is still a place and market for them.

MikeDog

Back