Approaching a new song...

kmar

Question-

When you sit down at the piano, or guitar, or whatever you play, do you find yourself hitting the same opening chord or note? Do you mentally force yourself to "mix it up" with different ideas? PEACE- kmar

I usually pick it up, and "hear" a riff, melody or chord in my head, and pick them out. I'll play it repeatedly until I can imagine how it will be accompanied and where it will go. I know alot of people just use trial and error, and it will work for them. Because I make my living as a guitar teacher, my hands will fall into routines. The best way to break them is to envision it first, then play it.
Jeff

what I found out is that it's easier to get new song ideas when playing on non-familiar instruments, and be it just a different guitar. I often use also a piano for this purpose, because it doesn't force me into routines (as I'm no piano player).
but usually the ideas are first (sometimes the whole song in my head), and then I try it out on my guitar.
smirky

songwriting

The most important part of songwriting is to tell your own story....any of us could sit down and snag all the cliches' that are worn out,but doesn't it grab you when someone is totally honest and open about what is going on in their existance.....and not trying to be vulgar or rebellious simply because vulgarity and rebellion sells lotsa music?
Musically,I like to be challenged from time to time,but I find myself drawn to being more simple and in the pocket...simple stuff is easier to make stronger.

Usually, I'll be in between mixdowns or something and pick up my axe or whatever and start noodling. If I find a riff or something I like, I'll try to stick with that theme and develop it. Once you get an (A) section chord structure with a chorus, you are in pretty good shape. By this time, ideas for melodies are flowing and I just try to let it flow.

Now, I am off in this other tangent and have forgotton all about what I was mixing. If a new idea gets me to this point I will try to lay somethin' down asap.

JVASEY- I hear you. MOST times I will hear a melody in my head, usually when I'm driving with no music, or in church. I try to keep my handheld recorder in the car.

SMIRKY- That's right! When I pick up a "Foreign" guitar, it captures some kind of energy in my noggin.

TWEEDVILLE- Absolutely- tell your own story! I think that comes acrosss "on tape."

BBALL- I LOVE IT when that happens. Can't finish one song, because another one pops up!!

PEACE- kmar

Back