Any body using Reason to write songs?

Layla Nahar

I'm trying to & it sounds like shit. I'm wondering if anybody here is using reason, how they're using it? what kind of results they are getting...

Layla

well I like to think I use reason, along with common sense and creativity to write songs. :)

sorry, I couldn't resist.......

if your writing dance based tunes then i think reason is perfect. having said that though im writing acoustic guitar, piano, etc. type stuff and am getting good results by hooking it up to cubase sx. i have a mate who plays drums so i throw his samples in the dr rex and it sounds just like hes in the room, if you dont have this option you could buy some sample cds. i also use it to fatten out songs, adding bits of malstrom here and there, some nn-xt piano etc. i must admit though that at first it did sound rubbish, but im afraid that there arent any shortcuts, personally id rather be stuck behind a piano than a pc but this is the only way i can do what i want to do. good luck.

Hey Layla...

How you been?
Long time no type... :cool:

A guitar usually works for me...at least for writing purposes...
I have no clue on what Reason even is...just wanted to say Hi.......

so.........

Hi :D

Take it easy,
Joe

joro said:
Hey Layla...

How you been?
Long time no type... :cool:

I went
back to skewl

I'm still a lousy musician, .... but I'm so much more CONFIDENT

;)

seriously, I'm in music school, its been a big help, but exhausting. Too much work, really. I really hope to do a lot of song writing over the summer. My big goal is to go beyond the very simple very pretty stuff usually write ... that's how I want to grow as a writer this summer.

You have to jack with the latency settings to get the right sound for your pc....I use reason for the NN-XT advanced sampler mainly, its awsome for adding strings and other real instrument sounds to analog music. A little reverb, play it right and it sounds pretty real.

prodigy's new album was written using reason on a laptop, so with the right experimenting anything is possible...

I've toyed with using Reason to compose and arrange. I usually find myself rewiring it into my DAW for serious work because I work more quickly with a guitar. Still, getting the structure of the song down with a few patterns in Redrum, maybe adding a bass line or some pads, can help in trying out different feelings in a song.

I haven't gotten very efficient with it, yet. Reason is very well suited to electronic music creation, but I'm doing guitar 'n' bass stuff...

For the few video soundtracks I've worked on, though, Reason came in really handy. Again rewired into my DAW, I had loops, orchestral sounds, synths- just like they say- a whole rack of cool stuff in your computer. :)

Its a pretty complex program. Its easy to use at some levels, but it allows for some *serious* creativity if you give yourself the time to experiment.

Back