Advice from Ralph Murphy-VP of ASCAP

Rimshot

Greetings,
I m a regular poster on this BBS, but this is the first time 've ever posted on this forum. I'm not a songwriter, but I regularly get e-mail from my AFM Local, ASCAP and from TAXI. I usually delete these things, but this one might be interesting to people here so I thought I'd post it. Sorry about the length. I cannot provide a link because I received it in the body of a much larger email. I cut and pasted it below.

-Rimshot

_._._._._._._
YOUR BEST BET FOR A #1 SONG
By Ralph Murphy Vice President, ASCAP
Many of our members already know ASCAP Vice President Ralph Murphy because he's a fixture at our annual convention, The Road Rally. Above all else, Ralph is the living embodiment of every songwriter's soul. If Albert Einstein and Jed Clampett were to mate and bear fruit, Ralph would be their progeny--part genius, part country gentleman, all heart.
At last year's Road Rally, Ralph did a presentation based on his study that was done in conjunction with Belmont University. What follows is the written version of Ralph's presentation. I hope you find it as enlightening as we have. Enjoy. --Michael
For a small business owner such as a songwriter/publisher, knowing the market is vital. Budgeting for success means looking at income (when it decides to come in!) and making informed decisions about how to spend it most effectively. Up near the top of the list of expenditures (almost right next to eating) are demo costs. The financial outlay for demonstration recordings has risen to $750 - $1,000 per song. So, if you write 30 songs a year and only have $10,000 in your demo budget, you're going to have to make some hard choices.
Let's say you've written this song about a Chicken. You love it! Your mom loves it! The special person in your life loves it! However . . . Radio is only playing Dog songs. Fortunately, you've also written four Dog songs, which everybody loves. Your dilemma? You only have enough money to produce a three-song demo, but you have five songs (four Dog songs and one Chicken song). What do you do? Now, unfortunately, I have suitcases full of demoed Chicken songs, so I know what the songwriter side of me says; however, I noticed early on in life that food is a good thing and that eating makes me happy. So, while grumbling and complaining about how radio should be playing more Chicken songs, I demo three of my four Dog songs so I can continue to support my nasty food habit! In the frustrating war between art and commerce, commerce wins.
Let's be honest. Though it shouldn't, radio drives the "commercial" aspect of the songwriting process. (Did I already mention that I like to eat?) It affects just about every decision we make creatively. In March, 1999, country radio did something seismic in nature, which impacted songwriters and publishers dramatically. As an experiment to maintain listenership, Country radio decided to slow the progress of records going up and down the charts in hopes of breeding the kind of familiarity that keeps listeners coming back for more--commercials, that is. As a result, I became curious and decided to try an experiment of my own. I started by researching the Billboard Country chart for 1999 and found that a total of 18 songs reached #1. Taking a closer look, I began to wonder: what type of song is reaching the top in this brave new world of radio? A world in which, through yet another ripple effect of deregulation, big radio chains have been allowed to buy up and homogenize most of the "mo
m and pop" country stations resulting in:
- Country songs being slotted between jingles and musical links that sound like they're written and performed by Metallica;
- on-air personalities who, with rare exceptions, really don't know (or care) about country music, and
- an increase in the amount of commercial time that effectively gets rid of two or three records per hour.
But, I digress! What we began to see on the chart before March is that records did indeed start taking longer to climb and began to linger longer, that is, taking longer to fall off completely. Before March, the total average time a song spent on the chart was 26.5 weeks. After the March changeover, that time increased to 32 weeks -- adding more than a month to the life of a song! (In fact, Lonestar's "Amazed" was on the chart for more than a year.) What kinds of songs enjoyed success? Let's look at a few dynamics . . .
Anything in common?
Common characteristics for the 18 #1s were that all of them were contemporary pop/country; 4/4 in tempo; romantic, primarily humorous, sad, and heartfelt. Half were stories; half were conversations. The average intro was 13.2 seconds.
Tempo
Let's examine the producer/A&R, mantra--"We are looking for mid to up-tempo positive love songs." Yes, you can say it in your sleep! Surprisingly, though, ballads accounted for 50% of 1999's chart toppers, followed by up-tempos at 33% and mid-tempos at 17%. Now, before you crown ballads king, let's look at the amount of time spent at #1. Even though more ballads made it to #1, they tended to fall off quicker. In fact, up-tempos spent 49% of the year at #1, followed by ballads at 31% and mid-tempos at 20%. So, even though mid- and up-tempos combined accounted for only half of the #1s, they spent a combined 69% of the year in the top spot. Strangely enough, you had a slightly better chance of having a #1 with a ballad, but spent significantly less time at #1 and on the chart.
Melody
75% of up-tempos went from a linear melody in the verse to a soaring melody in the chorus. Which means, basically, the listener got a story [linear--very little motion, few chord changes] and something to hum at the supermarket [soaring - significant motion and chord changes] in the same song and apparently liked that a lot! It is almost impossible to tell a story over a soaring melody because the human animal can only hear one moving part at a time and, given choice, will always defer to melody. So, wherever the writer wants to tell a story, the melody is kept to a minimum. As for ballads, five of the nine went from linear to soaring.
Form
Since you were born, radio has given you songs in any one of six variations. As the writer leads listeners through a song, he or she creates an expectation in the audience's mind that they are being led through the story to a hook (conclusion) in a way that they are familiar with. The writer can alter the format slightly only as long as the listeners feel informed, included and satisfied (once delivered to the hook/conclusion). If that effect is not achieved, the listeners simply reach for the dial and tune out. The writer has failed structurally. That being said, the 18 #1 records in 1999 used only three of the six forms:
2nd Form: Verse-(Verse Opt.)-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Instrument-Chorus-Etc.
3rd Form: Verse-(Verse
Opt.)-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Instrument-Chorus-Out
4th Form: Verse-Lift-Chorus-Verse-Lift-Chorus-Instrumental-(Lift Opt.)-Chorus
Five of the six up-tempos and 50% of all #1s were written in 3rd form. The exception to this in up-tempo was Terri Clark's "You're Easy On The Eyes," which was in 2nd form. This is significant because 3rd form is known as the most forgiving form because you can have a weak line or two in a verse but still have a huge chorus to save you. Plus, there's a bridge to add information or show the listener the other side of the coin. With mid-tempos, all the forms were equally represented. As far as ballads go, we find that four of the nine ballads were 3rd Form, followed by three in 2nd Form and two in 4th Form.
Person & tense
100% of up-tempos were written in first person (I/Me/My). Additionally, 72% included the second person (You/Your) and 39% used the third person, generally as a device for conflict. As far as tense goes, 83% of up-tempos were set in the present, with 27% in the past and only 15% in the future. As for ballads, 89% used the first person, 89% included the 2nd, and 33% added the third person.
The artist
Let's add one more dynamic to this mix. Six of the 18 #1s were written or co-written by the artist, with five of the six being ballads. So the old A&R belief that ballads are artist-driven gains some credence given this information.
Your best shot
So. you have Dog songs and you have Chicken songs. Where do you spend your demo dollar? Your best shot for getting a #1 record is to write:
- mid- to up-tempo
- romantic/humorous or sad/heartfelt theme
- 4/4 time
- contemporary pop/country style
- story or conversation
- 1st person or 2nd person
- 3rd form
- linear melody with a story to a soaring chorus
- 13 second intro
So much for Chicken songs!
I would like to acknowledge the invaluable assistance of Phil Goldberg and Chad Green indulging my "need to know" in helping research the above information. Most importantly thank you Mark Ford for massaging and editing my lunatic fringe ramblings into a coherent form.

you have got to be fucking kidding me.................

jesus christ almighty...........
It's who you know...........and how you get along.......................it has been for a while...

doesn't seem to matter how good the song is.....even if it is "current" with the dog/chicken analogy.........

fuck...............

P.S.
Welcome to the Songwriting Forum man......no digs towards you...just the mentality of the industry...
Joe

So, What do you think, Rimshot? If we shortened the intro on "Reunion" to 13.2 seconds, it would meet *every one* of his stinking criteria. Well that's my dog song. As you know, I've also got a chicken song, a cat song, a turtle song, and a cockroach song. Mr ASCAP, I'm here to say a hearty FUCK YOU TOO! I'll just record the best songs I can and ignore yuppy zipperheads like you.-Richie

:)

I knew I'd get this kind of response to this, but I just wanted you all to get a taste of what I hear everyday. I have had conversations with A&R people and they make that scumbag on "American Idol" seem like a friggin' social worker'

This is the kind of formula that they actually apply to making decisions about artists to sign.
Is it any wonder that the music
industry is in the state that it's in? Anything daring, innovative or new is immediately dismissed. Anything creative that doesn't fit into the mold is dismissed.

The TAXI convention that was alluded to is happening this fall in LA. I may be there just to play for a performance behind my lady friend who is a singer/songwriter. The musicians that show up are a good lot. The producers,agents and A&R folks that are there are as above. Those that are interested should check it out. It will be an education. :D

Richie, don't you dare change "Reunion" or put a chicken in it.
Those assholes won't like it anyway. For them to be interested,you'd have to look like Justin Timberlake and be wearing "kneepads". :D
The term they use is "the package". That's when the music is okay, the performance is okay, and the artist's appearrance is stylishly young and attractive and photographs well. The emphasis is on appearrance.

That's why this overweight balding 50+ y/o drummer only pays small clubs and bars and occassionally sits in on sessions. That's the business.
The only groupies I'll ever get have blue hair and wear "Depends". ;)
I just like playing and making music. Ah, well.

Welcome to my world. I could wallpaper my office with rejection letters which state the same things as criticisms of songs I pitch to publishers and producers. This is the current state of songwriting as a business and is the result of MBAs and CPAs making artistic judgements and serving up radio-friendy background noise

Formulas do work.Whats the big deal?Radio has always been about certain tried and true formulas of songwriting.

:rolleyes: Good job nobody told McCartney about the "Linear melody". Just imagine "Yesterday" written in the style of the dirgey "By The Time I Get To Phoenix". Obviously nobody knows the words to Yesterday because we're too stupid to follow a melody and words at the same time.

Anyway, at least it answers the age old question:

- Why did the chicken cross the road?
- To get into the dog song.

I am not a pro songwriter, so take my comments with that in mind.

I read that article on another songwriting board. I found it very informative. I'm kind of just getting into songwriting in a serious fashion. The more I "hang out" with songwriters, especially the ones that, like me, have never had a cut, the more I hear the complaining about the industry. Usually, I don't hear the writers that have had some level of commercial success complaining as much.

While I certainly share some of the opinions on some of the music of all genres I also realize that this is my personal taste. Obviously there is a market for stuff that may not be my favorite because millions of people are buying it.

I write mostly country music, although I do stray from that at times. There are rules to the game. Radio stations need to sell commercial time to make money to pay the licensing fees that pay the songwriter. If the radio stations don't make money, they go out of business and the songwriter makes substantially less money. The record labels need to make money to make staying in business worth while. I know that a hit record makes a lot of $ for the label, but what people often don't consider is the money it takes to get it there including the black hole of acts that the label forks out $ for that end up doing squat. I guess what I'm saying is that it is a business from all angles and I truly do respect the writers that have "made it". It takes, for the most part, a lot of talent and hard work to get there. If it were easy, we'd all have hit records ;)

What can a songwriter/musician do about it? Here's my view:

1. Write for your own pleasure. If you really enjoy doing it and don't care about commercial success, just write away and have a blast. Nothing wrong with that.

2. If you would like to make a living at songwriting, learn the rules of the game. It's like any other business. I'm a CPA. I had to learn certain things, follow certain rules and at time act a certain way to get to the level I was at in my old company. (Incidentally, I took a lesser job with little chance of major advancement to move down to Nashville to pursue writing) I had to learn the rules of accounting. I had to pass the exam (one of the hardest to pass BTW). I had to dress a certain way. I had to present myself a certain way to get hired and later to impress clients. I did it quite well and was well on my way to being a partner in the firm before I decided I needed to do this writing thing. Songwriting for money is no different. There are rules that need to be followed (to an extent). You have to know how to write a song that is commercially viable. You do need to present yourself well to potential clients (publishers, artists, producers, potential co-writers). You do have to network. See it's not that different from being a partner in a CPA firm. Just more fun work IMHO :D.

3. You can change the rules. This is not easily done and I would say that you would generally need to put a substantial amount of time into number 2 above before you can even think about this.

4. You can make your own way financially. Many talented folks make reasonable livings performing their own stuff regionally and locally and create a large enough fan base where they can do this. This ain't easy I'll wager (I've never done this).

Any of the above choices are valid and honorable choices.

There is no reason in my mind why number 1 & 2 above can't coexist either. First, I think that if the pleasure and release of artistic energy is not accomplished (number 1), number 2 doesn't have a great shot of happening anyway. At least not for an extended period. But heck...why not write songs to satisfy yourself as well as give a crack at commercial songs? I think probably the best songs are a combo of both anyway.

My plan is that I want to get to be a good songwriter. Whether it's a commercial song or a highly personal song, I want it to be a good, well crafted song. I would love to be able to say someday that I do it for a living. I think it would be really neat to get up every day and have writing a song as my major task for the day. I would love to co-write with very good songwriters and find something special in the collaboration (actually I've gotten to do this twice now with the same person and it is an exhilerating (sp?) experience). When I feel that I have enough strong material, I will go and pitch my wares. But, I know at the end of the day, even if I never get a cut, that I will have written a catelogue of good songs. Who knows, maybe my daughter can record some of them some day ;) :D.

Oh well....I rambled again. All of this is just MVHO. YMMV

I couldn't agree w/ you more, Jagular. Just to embellish a little on numbers 3 and 4:

3: Sting is a perfect example of someone that played the game long enough to put himself in a position to change the rules. Now he writes whatever he wants to.

4: This is where most pro musicians live their lives. They cobble together a living by being diverese and flexable, and by making the most of whatever opportunities come their way. The make a little teaching, and maybe a little writing, and a little performing, and a little more here and there, and fill in the gaps working a the local music store. My favorite option in #4, because while that big essay assumes that the only way to be happy and make it as a "real musician" is with a big hit, there are thousands of musician proving him wrong everyday by doing it this way.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

Jagular, please remember you are *not* too old to play and record. Because you sweat and feed your kids and go to work, you can actually save enough money to record your best songs for the love of them. If that's your dream, who says you can't save and borrow and pay, the American Way, and plunk down the price of a new Lexus to own a kickass project studio, and bring in some kickass players to dress up the songs? Dreams don't happen to you, you have to make them happen, or find another dream that you can make happen. Good luck-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
Jagular, please remember you are *not* too old to play and record. Because you sweat and feed your kids and go to work, you can actually save enough money to record your best songs for the love of them. If that's your dream, who says you can't save and borrow and pay, the American Way, and plunk down the price of a new Lexus to own a kickass project studio, and bring in some kickass players to dress up the songs? Dreams don't happen to you, you have to make them happen, or find another dream that you can make happen. Good luck-Richie

Richie - Absolutely correct. I may have some of that up my sleeve down the line somewhere. Once my daughter gets school age, that frees up $20,000/yr in nanny costs less whatever expenses we have for her schooling (should be a hell of a lot less than 20k). A year or so to recover from some of the debt we have accumulated already (I friggin hate it) and I'm right with ya. There are fabulous pickers here in Nashville littering the streets. :D. I will put out a CD of my stuff one day. [evil laugh].

Thanks for the lift. Much appreciated. :)

Jag--very well said. My sentiments exactly. Nobody is forcing anyone to write a particular way. Its all up to where you want to go and what your motivations are. People do break the rules in every musical category and sometimes those people are the groundbreakers and pioneers. BUT---

Let me tell you a funny story. A friend of mine wrote a beautiful song for March of Dimes called "Love the Children". It started out:

Puppy dogs, kitty cats
Baby dollies, balls and bats
(can't remember this line, oh well)
Love the children

Well, my friend actually gets into Motown with his demo. I think he played his stuff for Berry Gordy, but I'm not sure. Anyway, the cassette starts playing and gets as far as this first verse. The man stops the tape and says:

"Puppy dogs? Kitty cats?! This is MOTOWN RECORDS, man!"

For those of us who are trying to get a foot in the door, you have to know the rules and the lay of the land.

If commercial success is of no concern, I say write whatever you feel like. If it IS, I say still write what you believe--just find out what the parameters of your market are.

I'm a Cat Song man in a Dog Song world:( . lol.. I've been trying to hook up into ASCAP for a little while now. The only problem I'm having is the "airplay" of songs part in the submission. I've gotten minor airplay (and I mean minor.. like once or twice on stations that I had an "in" with, done for shits and giggles), and the submittal wants to know EXACTLY when the song was aired (which I haven't a clue.. it's not like I marked it on a calender or anything, and it was yars ago). Oh well, I know my short term memory is shot... maybe when this information crosses over to what would be considered long term memory, I'll remember:D

Howdy,

I'd like to put my 5 cents in (we no longer have 2 cents in OZ).

I have read that article before... maybe 1-2 years ago. I consider myself as a budding songwriter. I've written some songs in the last 5 years I've been writing. I've got lots of verses and not very many complete songs. I plan on changing this.

The industry in Australia has changed quite a bit. There are I think 3-4 major recording labels. One of them used to have about 160 artists on the books, now there are 30, if that. The main reason, recording companies don't want to invest the money into recording an artist, promoting them, making a video when they have to see something like 30 000 + units until they break even.

What I've seen in the last couple of years are the number of independant record labels starting up. I know this first bit hasn't related to the article, but you can see from the industry in Australia how much harder it seems to get into the industry.. plus then there is the 'package' that people are looking for.. No offence to anyone, however you could probably count on one hand the number of 'middle-age' artists on the Top 40 on one hand, and those artists have probable been around for a while.

It is a shame that record companies are no longer interested in the song.. it's more everything else other than the song. Have a look at the artists who did do something different in the last couple of years. One that instantly comes to mind is Jewel. Have you heard her new song... to me I call it a 'sell out', ie leave what you were about to move more into mainstream. She was also probably told by the label, change your style or change labels (I know which one I would have chosen, even if I had to start my own label like the Dixie Chicks!).

As for formula for a song, I always come back to this article I read once where an artist was taken aside by a Radio DJ (Ron E Sparks) saying, why don't your write a hit song using the 'radio airplay parameters for a hit sing'. Here is the formula:

"....songs should be three and a half minutes long; start with a fifteen second intro; reach the first chorus by thirty second mark; have two initial verses; and be broken up by a "different bit" in the middle. This latter used to be known as "the middle eight" but often made the song too long to fit between commercials so is now mainly that "bit" which breaks the beat up and adds "Interesting sonic textures" before sliding into the interminable choruses which complete the package."

I don't know how long ago this was written, however the more I think about it, the more the forumla fits in to most music on the radio.

On a personal note, I'm reading "Tunesmith" by Jimmy Webb. This book has inspired me! This morning on the bus to work I was reading the chapter on 'Getting to first base'. It basically comes down to:

a) being confident
b) look as though you are already a seasoned professional
c) having good material
d) who you know in the industry

Not listed in any particular order.

I write country music, and I want to get some of my material recorded. I also plan on 'producing' my cousing who sang a solo at the 'Sydney Opera House' last week. I think she has the go to make something of it.

I'm going to set myself a goal.. it's a long term goal. In the next two years I want to have one of my songs played on radio. Wether it be played by myself or an artist... just to get airplay. And in saying that, I probably won't hear it myself, because there isn't a 'country' channel in Sydney, however I always hope because Country is becoming more popular in Australia, or should I say 'Australian Country'.

I know I've just blabbed on a little, however this is what the article and your responses got me thinking.

I'd better get back to work.. I'm not giving up my day job just yet ;)

Porter

Fmmahoganyrush said:
I'm a Cat Song man in a Dog Song world:( . lol.. I've been trying to hook up into ASCAP for a little while now. The only problem I'm having is the "airplay" of songs part in the submission. I've gotten minor airplay (and I mean minor.. like once or twice on stations that I had an "in" with, done for shits and giggles), and the submittal wants to know EXACTLY when the song was aired (which I haven't a clue.. it's not like I marked it on a calender or anything, and it was yars ago). Oh well, I know my short term memory is shot... maybe when this information crosses over to what would be considered long term memory, I'll remember:D

I say just go to ASCAP and tell them you are a songwriter who is pitching material to various places and that you wish to be a member. If they say no, just say "thanks, I'll head over to BMI now." You'll get in. Trust me.

Porter said:

I'd like to put my 5 cents in (we no longer have 2 cents in OZ).

Hmmmm…I’m thinking this was more like a $.25 ;) :D

Porter said:
One that instantly comes to mind is Jewel. Have you heard her new song... to me I call it a 'sell out', ie leave what you were about to move more into mainstream. She was also probably told by the label, change your style or change labels (I know which one I would have chosen, even if I had to start my own label like the Dixie Chicks!).

Yes I have. I have heard it was supposed to be a satire. But no matter…the video was…ummm..yeah… yummy ;) :D

Although I agree…I’d like to see some more middle aged artists that just plain kick the shit out of some music. Maybe I should start a label. There’s got to be a niche market out there for that somewhere :D

Porter said:
I'm going to set myself a goal.. it's a long term goal. In the next two years I want to have one of my songs played on radio. Wether it be played by myself or an artist... just to get airplay. And in saying that, I probably won't hear it myself, because there isn't a 'country' channel in Sydney, however I always hope because Country is becoming more popular in Australia, or should I say 'Australian Country'.

Keep at it Daniel. Just don’t limit yourself to two years. If you truly love doing it, keep doing it, at least to a certain degree. I gave up on it many many years ago and I sort of regret it now. I can’t play worth a crap anymore and my youthful creativity needs a lot of water and sunshine to make a comeback. Use it or lose it in other words. Two years is not a very long time in the music business. You hear of overnight successes all the time. The press likes to sensationalize that. What you don’t usually hear is that those overnight successes were busting their asses for 5 – 10 years before their instant success ;). So, just keep at it man :)

crawdad said:
I say just go to ASCAP and tell them you are a songwriter who is pitching material to various places and that you wish to be a member. If they say no, just say "thanks, I'll head over to BMI now." You'll get in. Trust me.

LOL

i have read this.....

before . i read a book about songwriting about a year ago and i swear i think i remember the guy using this same analogy about the dog and cat ...pardon me for not reading it all but i just saw th part about dog and cat and it felt real familiar ....without going into a big book report the guy basically told how he got where he is and gave a good basis for what to expect from the business side of songwriting i found it informative ......but i say also screw what is mainstream write for yourself if it makes money spend it ...peace out

he failed to mention what it takes to get a song covered to start with. the greatest dog song ever written won't do shit if you can't get it covered by an artist.

The best way to get a song covered (assuming its a good song to start with) Is to know someone that is involved with the artist you want to get the song to....

i.e. if your best friend is producing alan jacksons new album, you would probably have a chance of your song actually getting a listen.

if you don't have an inside connection you would probably need to be located in nashville to start with....or at least have a connection in nashville that would handle your mail or what ever. I doubt if people in the nashville music scene would take anything seriously with a "jerkwater U.S.A." address on it.

keep writing and pitching songs to major publishers...one day you may get lucky...probably not, but maybe

you could also do it Kris Kristofersons way: rent a helicopter and land it in the the country stars back yard and give him the tape of the song and say "please listen to this, it will be a #1 hit for you"
(you have to act quick before the cops get there)
That would almost guarranty a listen!

only one thing.....the song has to be good.
when kris kristoferson landed that helocopter in johnny cash's back yard the tape he handed johnny cash was "sunday mornin' comin' down"....it indeed went to #1 and even crossed over to the pop charts if im not mistaken.

the point im trying to make is this....don't go to great lenths to pitch a song thats not the right song.

you may only get one shot.....so make sure its an armour piercing bullet and not a blank.

Ralph Murphey is really pointing out the difference in the bullet and the blank....its up to you to move to nashville and meet as many people in the music business that you can and create the situation of being in the right place at the right time.... with the right connection in the music business.

I actually have an inside connection in the music biz....but i have never presented a song to them because i haven't written the right song yet.....when i get the right bullet im gonna take my shot.

These posts are too Fu$king long ! :D

------------

Seriously though, isn't this what we are ALL out here ... to change. I know I am, and if you have to ask ... 'well how you gonna change it' then you need to spend a couple of years as the Chief Technical Coordinator for the Director of Ecommerce for a large wireless telephone company ;-)

Last edited:
Back