About my vocals.

Notebook.

well, I dunno'. there's something in my voice that I don't like and I can't pinpoint it. at first, I thought it sounded kind of dull and not so bright. but, then, I noticed that my headphones might actually be taking away from that. but, I'm not sure if that's just it.
I'm into heavy music,
and it influences my music a lot. I do a lot of screaming, a little bit of rapping, and I started singing months back. and I'm still improving since I'm 15 and have a lot of time. haven't recorded much singing yet, but just a little bit. I've been making music since about 7 years old, but I still want some thoughts and opinions and advice.
www.myspace.com/catanotebook

leave an opinions or advice.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate that.
Did you actually listen and see what I needed to work on?

Yeah. Personally I actually like your voice. From what I heard over 4 songs (or it may have been 3) your voice has character. You may not like it - I bet many others will. While I'm not always a great fan of screaming or rapping, I think you've got a good balance between the two and where appropriate, rapping and screaming come over great. I particularly liked the song "Don't treat me like that".
I must admit, your actual voice sounds alot older than 15 years old.
In your original post, you said you only started singing a few months ago. In the songs posted on the link you gave, there wasn't any melodic singing, mainly rap (though it was good, if a little 'angry and sweary' - mind you, that's not always a bad thing in context). So it's hard to say exactly what you should work on. You say you like 'heavy' music, and you list metal as one of your influences. You could perhaps try listening to some of heavy metal's early bands and their vocalists, bands like Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster cult, Aerosmith, Nazareth, Ted Nugent, for example. Reason I mention the older bands is coz back in the day, those bands' singers were singers who developed the art of screaming and expression, but they were first and foremost singers who knew that it was a good vocal that sold a song. And they knew how to sing. So they are as good a place as any to start.
Also, I don't know how you feel about other forms of music, but I'd say listen to as many different types of music as possible and take note of how the different singers approach what they do and how they interract with the music. And most imoprtantly, keep singing along and work on hitting hard to reach notes. You've already got the raw material there and you have a positive advantage in that you've been at this for 8 years.
Keep working and steaming, mate.

Thanks a lot, dude. I really appreciate it.
I just always thought my voice sounded like, TOO much older. Like, to the point it sounded old man-ish, lol. I guess it's just mature sounding, right?

Thanks a lot, dude. I really appreciate it.
I just always thought my voice sounded like, TOO much older. Like, to the point it sounded old man-ish, lol. I guess it's just mature sounding, right?

Yeah, mature. Always work it to your advantage. It's a good voice.

Notebook - I know your only 15 and its hard to get a reference on yourself - but you have got it going on.

Your voice for the genre you are working in is fantastic - I love 'While you stand there' it is so evocative, perhaps with out the primal screaming it could easily be a chill out session. Do you do your own arrangements?

Stick with you have got a great voice and real talent.

Burt

Thanks a lottt. :] I appreciate that.
and yeah, I do my own arrangements and stuff, write all of my lyrics, etc.

today, I finished up most of a song called "In The House Of Maggots."
It's pretty much all singing and screaming,
let me know what I could improve with the singing. It's the first time I ever sung a whole song, hah.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/76403597ddc4b750/

Back