3 songs - 3 song structures

pbouchard

This is a dual-purpose post: 1) examples of different song structures, 2) hoping to get a bit of feedback on the songs

The songs (all instrumentals) are:

Long Gone
Slow Pulse
Lost in the Attic

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3445&alid=-1

"Long Gone" has a very conventional, straight-ahead structure. This structure, combined with the singable melody and comfortable chord sequence, makes it the most mainstream of the 3 songs. Overall the structure is verse/chorus, verse/chorus, bridge, verse-chorus. This song has no clear break between the verse and chorus, so the verse/chorus melody line goes for 40 measures (1:15). Analyzed as 8-measure phrases, the structure of the verse/chorus is ABBCC.

"Slow Pulse" is more of an ambient piece, and rather than featuring singable melodies, it presents 3 distinct 8-measure (0:27) themes. The song opens and ends with the principal theme, but in the first half it alternates with theme B, and in the second half it alternates with theme C. The overall structure of the song is ABAB-CCACA. The song is certainly less mainstream than "Long Gone", but the structure seems to work for a "new age" piece.

"Lost in the Attic" has the most experimental structure of the 3 songs. The song opens with a quick 2-measure (0:04) presentation of 6 rhythmic chords on the piano. The entire remainder of the song is a series of layers intended to compatible with this repeating chord sequence. Various instruments (piano, bass, trumpet, drums, synth keyboard, flute, nylon guitar, and synth vox) each enter and exit the mix, playing their own lines or variations on them. The constantly changing mix of these lines is what drives the song forward. Although I like the song, it doesn't really fit well into any popular genre, and will therefore have a harder time finding an audience.

I welcome your comments on song structures or your feedback on these particular songs. If you happen to listen to all 3 songs, perhaps you could answer these 3 questions:

1) Which song did you like best, and why?
2) Which song did you like least, and why?
3) In the song you liked best, what aspects of the song prevented you from liking it better?

Studioviols -- I'm not currently developing lyrics for these 3 songs. Two of them ("Slow Pulse" and "Lost in the Attic") I wrote as instrumentals. The other one ("Long Gone") I may someday finish the lyrics, but it works for me as an instrumental piece too.

I do have several finished songs with finished lyrics that I'll upload to Nowhereradio radio someday -- when I finally record the vocal tracks.

I try not to do structures at all.
Part A, then Part B, then part C, then part D..... untill part X where it finishes.
I'm not of the kind of working in a part and copy/paste it all over the song.
Sure, it takes a lot more time to get into the song if changes constantly, but it also takes a looooooooot more time to get bored of it :P
Also I play symphonic black metal, so not fitting into a mainstream genre isn't a really a problem :)

Back