Well no need of explanation, constructive criticism on my voice please!

Ok....well.......you seem to have a very good sense of meter and tempo and you do seem to know how to control your voice nicely when recording. The sound of your voice is fine and certainly workable and does well in the song you posted.

I would say that you could work on holding your pitch...especially in the slower / held parts of the vocal. Your pitch wobbles now and then on held notes and occasionally on an approach to a note. It's most certainly not a major problem and can be overcome with a little practice and learning how to "hear" your results and "listen" to yourself.

It seems that some singers have an issue with being able to "accurately" hear themselves back on a recording. I think the mind can play tricks on us. I think we hear what we want or need to hear. This may be more common on popular songs. Our mind has heard them over and over and as we listen to our own singing we sort of mingle the two versions (ours and the original) in our minds.......sometimes covering up flaws and other issues. I have no idea if you fit that description.....but if you do.....fix that as best you can.

So.......listen......you're doing fine. You need some polishing work......and you'll be there. Try out your full range........try difficult vocals.....sing softly.....sing loudly.....and listen back.....with an unbiased ear.

Best of luck to you!!

[MENTION=53343]miks[/MENTION]ter thanks for feedback, I really need it as I am not a trained singer. I too felt that I'm not able to sustain the pitch especially when it's high and have to hold it. And I find it a little bit difficult to approach a note which is nearer to current note(hence wobbling and flat notes). As you said I have improved my vocals by listening to my recordings, it's still in progress though. Sorry I forgot to mention I used a mild bit of realtime pitch correction. It has very slow attack and 70% mixed. I wanted the vocals to be as real as possible.

I usually search online for good techniques, but if you know of any particular technique that will help me fix my problems please share it.

Thanks.

People often say that as long as a vocalist conveys emotion, it doesn't matter so much if they don't hit the notes. I've never subscribed to that, I want to know how the song goes ! And so for me, the most important thing a singer can do is actually sing the song. Now I don't mind if the odd note here and there is not 100% there, but that of course, depends on where that slightly not quite there note falls. I don't care if the lyric is heard or the words are clear.
In the clip you posted, you satisfy the base requirement which is to convey the tune. Everything follows from there. I'm not the definitive judge of emotion so for all I know, you might be giving it all the emotion you can muster. Or you might just be musically reading words on the sheet.
It appears that you can sing and that you can hold a tune fairly well. I say "it appears" because this part gives me pause;
I forgot to mention I used a mild bit of realtime pitch correction. It has very slow attack and 70% mixed. I wanted the vocals to be as real as possible.
I've never used any kind of pitch correction {and have always gotten on my high horse about it !} so I have no way of knowing to what extent it may account for your sound. It would be so much clearer if you could post your voice without it. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it is what makes your voice sound in tune; I'm not saying that because I don't know that. I can't know that unless I hear you on the same song without any correction. If you want the vocals as real as possible, then let's hear them without correction.

I usually search online for good techniques, but if you know of any particular technique that will help me fix my problems please share it.
Two things occur to me; one is to sing as many different kinds of songs as possible. Fast ones, slow ones, ones with great leaps, those that don't move much but demand concentration, chants, high notes, low notes, different genres. Even Christian popular music has been around for over half a century and many different genres can be found there.
The other thing is, if at all possible, to practice with a keyboard or guitar. You don't even have to be able to play an instrument. Start on the lowest note the instrument has {or as low as you can go} and sing that note until you are comfortable with it. Then move to the next one. And so on until you are as high as you can comfortably get. Sometimes as you go up, suddenly change and go down the notes.
You could also try a good breathing exercise; breathe in through your nose for 8 seconds and collect as much air in your stomach as you can {you should feel your belly expand as the air goes in} and hold the breath for 8 seconds. Then force it out in a controlled manner through your teeth, kind of hissing. The object is to get every breath out within 8 seconds. Don't leave any breath there, it's all got to go. When you can do that, then extend the breathing out to 12 seconds, then 16 then 20 then 24. That'll help you with breathing control which will then help you with holding notes.
That's something to start with !

Thanks grimtraveller, I really need to work on controlling my breath. I'll be posting my plain vocals without any correction for my next song(recorded directly with correction). I hope next time I'll improve than this one.

Back