Which way sounds better?

The standard tuning one sounds better as the half step down one sounds like you're really struggling.
But both don't sound like they're being sung with any freedom, relaxation or confidence. You need to relax and let go with your voice. You have no real problem staying in tune. But the vocal is so tense.

i agree the standard

...lets you hit the higher/emphasis lines.

i always liked those neil hits, so simple, and yet somehow it worked? his vocal almost shaky, but it worked.

i always liked those neil hits, so simple, and yet somehow it worked? his vocal almost shaky, but it worked.
That shaky voice I often found to be really pushing it. Boney M do a lovely version of "Heart of gold" while Prelude do a gorgeous version of "After the goldrush" although I will say, Neil's vocal on the latter gets away with it and works well. But I had been spoiled by Prelude for 20 years before I heard it.

I appreciate that feedback man.
I was always more into writing but singing could be more fun if I could figure out how to do it right.

I think part of the issue is confidence like you say.
I never really have felt "free" singing... Felt more like working to try to sound enjoyable to others.

Im not sure if Ive ever really "let go" with my voice. Felt itd sound worse.
Maybe those are why it comes across as tense like you say.
Trying too hard?

So.. Focus on relaxing.. freedom...
Maybe breathing exercises, and not trying so hard will be a step in right direction.

Appreciate the feedback. Helps me know what to work on.

Peace ☺️

Back