Tips to improve please :P (Pearl Jam - Black)

Support, support, support...

He talks classical singing, but don't worry, the technique (appoggio) works generally.

He also talks about "single placement" -- which you can ignore, unless you want a classical timbre (chiaroscuro) that he mentions. chiaroscuro translates to "light-dark", and when used in singing refers to higher head tones (squillo) superimposed on lower timbral tones. It gives a classical sound, but a little of it can be used in contemporary singing. You may want to explore chiaroscuro a bit, anyway, because some of your voice seems to be leaning in that direction.

Support, support, support...

He talks classical singing, but don't worry, the technique (appoggio) works generally.

He also talks about "single placement" -- which you can ignore, unless you want a classical timbre (chiaroscuro) that he mentions. chiaroscuro translates to "light-dark", and when used in singing refers to higher head tones (squillo) superimposed on lower timbral tones. It gives a classical sound, but a little of it can be used in contemporary singing. You may want to explore chiaroscuro a bit, anyway, because some of your voice seems to be leaning in that direction.

thank you!

Vocaroo | Voice message

Is it better in this one?

Or this one?

Vocaroo | Voice message

If by "it" you mean breath support, I have to say, "no". However, the clip in the OP sounds way too deliberate imo, to the point of being artificial.

Improvement is all about experimentation, so here is one experiment I can suggest.

The amount of breath support required for the songs you have chosen to sing is deceptive. So, here is a song that will leave you in little doubt.

Good thing is that it is simple (no distortion or special effects needed), but probably not your style and will take you outside of your comfort zone. Sometimes you have to venture afield a little, just for practice, and not only sing songs you like.

This song won't give you any time to be deliberate or artificial. If you can't sing it, you can ask yourself why not! Then you can research and figure out what is stopping you. Once you can sing it, you will know something about "breath support" and you can drop the song and everything else you don't like about it. It will have served its purpose.

The male part is just chorus. Simple. But make sure you sing all the words fully and get the stresses correct.

Notice how little breath he seems to be using.

Breathy styles are more deceptive, because they hide the amount of breath support needed. You can easily be tricked into doing the wrong thing, and your voice will not project. If you can sing the song I gave you (or any like it), you can apply support to a more breathy style, and your tone will project much better.

Really good tone you've got going -

I agree with above statements that more "support" is needed. You can find quotes of Eddie Vedder himself talking about that, somewhere. The intonation will improve with better support.

So while you continue to work on that concept, which is elusive for all of us, my practical advice is to feel it more. This is a tortured song, and although a "ballad", you'll notice that Vedder's energy level is still very high.

For instance , those crooning crescendos he does going into "and all I taught her was...." , that is an energy level very near to that of Even Flow and other PJ classics. Even the falsetto outro maintains a higher energy, as compared to, say, Brian Wilson's falsetto on a Beach Boys arrangement.

Sounds to me like you're sitting down singing? If so, get up. No sitting-down vocals for this genre. The support has to come from below. It's useful to think all the way down the feet even, into the ground, and you're wringing every last bit of energy out of yourself. This is very physical singing.

If you start straining and breaking in the mid-high range, ease up and let that support come up from below. It's harder to see in Eddie Vedder, because he's so physical, but the support is solid and you rarely hear him break or go hoarse unless he intended to .

Really good tone you've got going -

I agree with above statements that more "support" is needed. You can find quotes of Eddie Vedder himself talking about that, somewhere. The intonation will improve with better support.

So while you continue to work on that concept, which is elusive for all of us, my practical advice is to feel it more. This is a tortured song, and although a "ballad", you'll notice that Vedder's energy level is still very high.

For instance , those crooning crescendos he does going into "and all I taught her was...." , that is an energy level very near to that of Even Flow and other PJ classics. Even the falsetto outro maintains a higher energy, as compared to, say, Brian Wilson's falsetto on a Beach Boys arrangement.

Sounds to me like you're sitting down singing? If so, get up. No sitting-down vocals for this genre. The support has to come from below. It's useful to think all the way down the feet even, into the ground, and you're wringing every last bit of energy out of yourself. This is very physical singing.

If you start straining and breaking in the mid-high range, ease up and let that support come up from below. It's harder to see in Eddie Vedder, because he's so physical, but the support is solid and you rarely hear him break or go hoarse unless he intended to .

Yes I was sitting down ahah, thanks for the feedback!

Back