Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry, another how can I improve thread.

Thanks

Sorry, another how can I improve thread.

Sign in to disable this ad
    Afternoon all,

I just stumbled across this forum, firstly very informative. Cracking site

Well basically I have absolutely no intention on giving up the day job, and have no desire to become a 'singer' - but to distance myself from the stress of the day job, I do love to pick up my guitar and sing a song or two - so I'm not coming on here thinking that I'm the next Michael Buble

This is only done by myself, and never to an audience. Recently I bought Garageband for my iPad, and an apogee jam for my electric guitar. I did try using my acoustic and the iPad mic, but needless to say that wasn't the best.

Anyway, I thought that I would upload some anonymously to a soundcloud account, for my own personal reason, not trying to become something.

Some of the results are (fairly) good, and some slightly less. Some recorded using my iPad mic and acoustic guitar. Others recorded using my apogee jam and again my iPad mic.

How can I up the vocal quality a bit more - I know that getting a mic would help considerably, but y'know, just make my voice sound that touch better? Some little tip that I can take home with me, and see what happens.

My soundcloud is soundcloud.com/tim-summers

and I've pulled a few of my less bad songs into a playlist at the top:

soundcloud.com/tim-summers/sets/random-tangents-best

FYI:

• I’d pick you every time: Acoustic Guitar & iPad mic. (personally I think that this song is a little too high for my ‘range’ (garageband)
    • 99 Balloons from down under: Electric guitar, apogee jam, iPad mic (garageband)
    • Sally Cinnamon: Electric guitar, apogee jam, iPad mic (garageband)
    • Idlers dream: Acoustic Guitar & iPad mic (garageband)
    • Walk on the wild side: Electric guitar, apogee jam, iPad mic (garageband)
    • Two Fingers: Acoustic Guitar & iPad mic
    • Summer Cats: Acoustic Guitar, iPhone (Reaper)
    • Lightning Bolt: Electric guitar, apogee jam, iPad mic (garageband)
    • Albion: Acoustic Guitar & iPad mic (garageband)

As you don't know me, and I don't know you, then be as critical as you want. It's only face-to-face that I'd get upset
    Last edited by witm8; 02-24-2014 at 08:56. Reason: standard obvious spelling mistakes

Thanks
    It's not the "How Can I Improve?" threads that get old...it's the "Uhhh can I sing?" threads. I found your voice pleasant enough to listen to. I think your style of music fits you well.

If I had to pick stuff for you to work on, it'd be learning the "technique" of breathing right while singing. You have a good voice, but it sounds kinda thin because I don't think you have a very strong foundation for it. That'd be my #1 recommendation.

Thanks
    post ten posts then come post a link.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ido1957 View Post
    post ten posts then come post a link.
    Dude it's literally right there. Just copy and paste...lol

Up The Rongai Route - An Album by Random Tangent by Random-Tangent on SoundCloud - Hear the world

Thanks
    Wow I think you're sounding fine. Good pitch, nice vocal and acoustic tones (I like the small body guitar tones and style. Seems fitting, simple, direct.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by guitaristic View Post
    If I had to pick stuff for you to work on, it'd be learning the "technique" of breathing right while singing. You have a good voice, but it sounds kinda thin because I don't think you have a very strong foundation for it. That'd be my #1 recommendation.
    Thanks for the tip, that is indeed something that I thought of myself (but as usual didn't really take any further than that). I think that at lunch today I'll have a browse around the web and have a look for some breathing whilst singing information

It's all too common for me, that I forget to breath (at the correct points during the song), then by the time it comes to the end of the verse I nearly pass out as I'm singing with a tinyest bit of breath right from the bottom of my lungs. Usually, this is in the final verse, and everything previous has gone 'ok', so I can't really be bothered to record the whole vocals/song again so I leave it as it is (with the last few words of the verse sounding like a 90year old woman who's been smoking 40-a-day)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mixsit View Post
    Wow I think you're sounding fine. Good pitch, nice vocal and acoustic tones (I like the small body guitar tones and style. Seems fitting, simple, direct.
    Many thanks, it's good to have some feed-back, as like I said in my origional post, I don't play to any of my family/friends. Well, saying that I did the other weekend after we'd been out on the beers and came back to mine, but my guitar playing was just as rubbish as my mates singing - even though at the time we though that we sounded like Oasis doing a gig in my front room at 3:00 in the morning.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by guitaristic View Post
    It's not the "How Can I Improve?" threads that get old...it's the "Uhhh can I sing?" threads. I found your voice pleasant enough to listen to. I think your style of music fits you well.

Yep, what he said.
    Learn to breathe properly. Use your diaphragm. Singing is all about support. Look around on the Internet and search for those techniques. They will help you immensely.

Thanks
    Well I tried to breath differently, I honestly didn't know how difficult it was going to be. Basically I had to think about every breath that that I was taking, using the diaphragm and also when to breath etc. I thought that breathing was just breathing - I couldn't have been more wrong lol

Anyway, I did another song, using this new technique.

I'm not sure how different it sounds, but I do know that I wasn't nearly passing out at the end, so it must have been better for me (maybe not on the ears though)

I'm in the middle of doing another, it's going to take a bit of learning, but thanks for the tips.

Thanks
    I just thought that I would pop back on here, just to say thanks for the few nuggets of feed-back that I received after my origional post.

The 'get your breathing right' was probably the best advise that I've ever received - apart from my Dad when I was about 16 who said to me one night: "You can always judge a girl by their shoes Son, that's why you can never find a nice girl in a club" Still not entirely sure what he meant by that, but hey-ho.

Ever since that, I've been concentrating on getting my breathing right, and initially I found it a complete nightmare, but now I'm starting to get the hang of it and it's becoming more natural. I still find myself correcting myself mid-song occasionally.

I had last week off work - school holidays here in the UK, so I needed to look after my little lad, so was messing around with my guitar, and whacked out another tune.

I know that it's a bit 'breathy' during some points, but I'm not fussed it's only a mess around. It's also only recorded on my iPad microphone - acoustic guitar and vocal. Garageband for the old joanna (all sounds a bit better when listening through headphones or such)

thanks all.
    Last edited by witm8; 04-17-2014 at 05:58. Reason: .

Thread Information