Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sorry, another how can I improve thread.

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by witm8 View Post
    I just thought that I would pop back on here, just to say thanks for the few nuggets of feed-back that I received after my origional post.

The 'get your breathing right' was probably the best advise that I've ever received - apart from my Dad when I was about 16 who said to me one night: "You can always judge a girl by their shoes Son, that's why you can never find a nice girl in a club" Still not entirely sure what he meant by that, but hey-ho.

Ever since that, I've been concentrating on getting my breathing right, and initially I found it a complete nightmare, but now I'm starting to get the hang of it and it's becoming more natural. I still find myself correcting myself mid-song occasionally.

I had last week off work - school holidays here in the UK, so I needed to look after my little lad, so was messing around with my guitar, and whacked out another tune.

I know that it's a bit 'breathy' during some points, but I'm not fussed it's only a mess around. It's also only recorded on my iPad microphone - acoustic guitar and vocal. Garageband for the old joanna (all sounds a bit better when listening through headphones or such)

thanks all.
    Cool dude I can definitely hear an improvement! Keep working on it. You have a very pleasant sounding voice, and it definitely sounds like you are supporting/breathing better because it seems to be more strong-sounding now.

Thanks
    I like it, you can sing. is the guitar a hollow body? kinda has the Buddy Holly sound. Thanks

Thanks
    Sounding good dood!
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    25 years ago, my vocal coach gave me this (along with several other) breathing exercises to do: While you walk, breathe in sharply for 1 step, breathe out, as evenly as you can, for seven. Keep repeating this as long as you walk. You will find that breathing with the diaphragm comes naturally after a very short time. Continue the exercise and you'll build power, lung cap, breath timing, and a lot of other beneficials. Are you recording your practices? This is very key, if you want to sound really good. Use your guitar (or piano or anything that you can make a note hold with). Then sing the note you hear. Do this several times with several notes at random. Work on major and minor scales holding each note for 3-4 seconds. Start by breathing between notes, but as you get stronger, breathe only between every other, then every third, etc. Listen to the recordings of your practices immediately. Identify problems that you have (sliding into notes, running out of air, etc.) Don't spend more than 15 minutes at a time on these to begin with. Build your voice like a bodybuilder builds delts and pects (there's muscles in there that need work).
    Above all, Happy Singing! Hope some of this helps...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atkron205 View Post
    I like it, you can sing. is the guitar a hollow body? kinda has the Buddy Holly sound. Thanks
    I'm currently using 2 main guitars:

For most things I'm using an Ibanez Hollowbody AF75.

Ibanez.com | Hollow Body Guitars | AF75

It's been my guitar of choice for the past 10 years or so, for a multitude of reasons. I use this, with my Apogee Jam into Garageband on my iPad.

My acoustic is a Epiphone EJ-200

EJ-200

I've only had this for about 3 or 4 years. I needed a new acoustic. I use this directly into my iPad using the standard iPad mic and garageband

I've got a few other ones that I occasionally use, but not all that often, if even at all

My 'recording set up' isn't the best, it's probably very typical of most budget home recording set ups, this was taken the other day whilst I was messing around.

Next on my list is a Gibson J45 - I'm about 3/4 of the way saving for it at the moment. I've wanted one of these ever since I started playing, and I am planning on treating myself.

1 more photo - The picture of my guitars, there's the acoustic on the left of the picture, propper battered old beast it is. Well my Mum found a photo of me playing it and written on the back is March 1984 when I was 9 - that's 30 YEARS AGO - OMG !!! And it's still going strong.

Ha Ha, and I've still not got any better. Anyone would have expected to be pretty bloody good after playing for 30 years - not me lol

Thanks
    I tried another one yesterday:

I think that I'm slowly starting moving in the right direction and the breathing is starting to become more 'natural'

I'm still using my iPad built in mic on Garageband. Think that if I actually if I invest in a actual mic that may improve things a tad more.

Thanks
    Yes, A really good mic is the first thing your voice hits ,don't get good mic or a decent mic ,get a great mic

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slug View Post
    Yes, A really good mic is the first thing your voice hits ,don't get good mic or a decent mic ,get a great mic
    I did do just that, bought myself an Apogee Mic (I already have an Apogee Jam for my electric guitar) - I doubt that it's in the 'great' catagory, but it was the best that my budget (ie the Mrs) would allow me to spend, and even then I didn't tell her the actual price.

Still getting used to it, but I'm pretty amazed whith the difference that I'm hearing already. Knocked myself up a de-esser thing out of a wire coat hanger and a pair of my Mrs tights - seems to do the job, looks bleedin awfull though !!

I've been messing around with using my new mic to record on my acoustic guitar as previously I was only using my iPad mic - blimey that makes a massive difference as well !!

This is the first try at a song using my new mic for Vocals and Guitar. I'm still getting used to things, but it was better than I expected.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slug View Post
    Me again - so I bought myself a mic - a Shure SM58, seems to be one of the most widely used, so I went with the masses.

Without all the fancy sound boards etc, I found that my usual timid quiet singing (to make sure that no-one actually hears me outside of the 4 walls) didn't really do it. So, I made sure the neighbours were out, and went into the Garage to have a blast.

Came back out with this:

1. Acoustic Guitar - did the chords / rhythm
    2. Added some vocals
    3. Overlayed the - ding/ding/ding/ding bit on my electric.

T'was actually quite enjoyable actually being 'free' to sing louder than a whisper. I admit that this was my 2nd take as the first one I went a bit over the top and come the end I needed to stop as I was going rather light-headed and needed to sit down

Ohhhhhhhh, did I say that I bought myself a new acoustic guitar:

This little beuaty of a Gibson J-45

https://soundcloud.com/tim-summers

Thanks
    Hey witm8.........not bad..especially for an early try. And congrats on the J45...........nice! So........you seem to have the same problem many people have who first try to record and mix their voice have. They make the vocal too low. Bring it up a bit. It may need some additional EQ at that point but it's too hard to tell with it so low in volume. The guitar sounds nice but covers your vocal mids for sure. In any case.........nicely done and keep at it. Just my 2 cents.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thread Information