Please rate my singing

Tinto

Hi folks!

I wonder if you could rate me singing. I sing in a congregation in a local church (never sang in a choir). I enjoy singing and tend to sing most days. My voice tends to stand out as it's a bit louder, and some people have expressed a positive reaction.

I recorded myself singing a song "Deep River" and after hearing myself (I haven't heard myself before), I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

I wonder if you could please take a listen and let me know what you think.

Thanks folks in advance :)

Last edited:
Ok....I had a listen on my headphones. Your voice has some good tone to it........and perhaps enough range to be pretty good. However........there's no question that your pitch wanders often..........not terribly out of control.....but noticeable enough to be distracting. I'm not sure if you were listening to the tune on headphones as you recorded.....or if you just did it acapella. If you're in a choir or some other kind of group it can be easier to stay on pitch as you get many ques from the music and the others in the group. So....how did you record this? In any case........there's no reason to think you can't correct your issues and be a pretty good singer.

Ok....I had a listen on my headphones. Your voice has some good tone to it........and perhaps enough range to be pretty good. However........there's no question that your pitch wanders often..........not terribly out of control.....but noticeable enough to be distracting. I'm not sure if you were listening to the tune on headphones as you recorded.....or if you just did it acapella. If you're in a choir or some other kind of group it can be easier to stay on pitch as you get many ques from the music and the others in the group. So....how did you record this? In any case........there's no reason to think you can't correct your issues and be a pretty good singer.
Hi Mickster.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and provide feedback.

What you are saying is pretty much what I think also.

I recorded it a capella, a fairly cheep mike and a basic recording program - audiopro ...(something at the end of this) is what it's called.

I think I was lingering too long on certain parts. I enjoy singing and i'm hoping to improve. I think some basics are there.

It's great to get some external feedback, rather than just 'the guy you know' who says its OK :)

I play the uke a little - I maybe's upload me doing a song on that - something simple like ghost riders in sky (simple chord wise) ... without boring people lol.

It's good that you're open to suggestions. That's an important key for vocalists (and others) who are trying to improve. Lingering on a note or word is not a bad thing......if it fits the song.....so don't make an effort avoid that. Just realize that as you do that.........you'll need to focus more on pitch. Practice makes perfect......or at least.......better. Keep at it.......be honest as you listen back to your results........and you'll get there. And remember........your friends and family have no interest in telling you about your singing faults. They may not even hear them.

Hey Mickster,

In case you are interested, I uploaded a rather poor quality of myself playing uke on my mobile phone - If I don't have (good) equipment, or just equipment, so why try to make it sound great, work with what one has is my opinion on many things.

Anyways, it's me singing ghost riders in the sky with my uke, it's only one verse and chorus, so something like 1 min 15s, but I think it's true what you said, just be mindful of my tone and then just enjoy myself. Seemed to eliminate not all, but most, something like 99% in my opinion, of tone wavering, so it's all good and i'll improve I think.

I think it sounds good - not the best singer in the world but an OK singer. I've got my own style in my opinion, which to me counts more than being really polished, but sort of samey to most others.

Thanks again for your feedback on this thread! Hope you're having a good one.

Well Tinto......I can't agree that your performance eliminated 99% of the issues we both think you have with your singing. Let's say.......80%. If you want to enjoy singing....no matter what.....then just enjoy it by singing any way you want to. As long as YOU enjoy it.......NOTHING I SAY OR ANYONE SAYS should matter too much. Have fun with it!!! That's not to say that suggestions you get for improvement should be discarded or are not valid. What your friends and family say about your singing.....well......might be biased towards making you feel good about yourself....so you need to realize that. What others like those of us here in this forum say might be more valuable to you ONLY if you really want to find out what you can do to IMPROVE your singing. We're not going to be unkind and discourage you from singing.........but we're also not likely to say things just to make you feel good either.

So.....all that said......you do have a good sense of timing / tempo. That's good and that's important for any singer. Not everyone has that. You also have what could be described as a good voice tone for singing. Not everyone has that either. What you need to work on......in my opinion only......is your pitch control. It wanders a little too much. If you can hear when that happens as you listen to your recordings........great. You can begin to fix it. If you cannot hear that as you listen to your recordings........that could be a problem. Some people can't. There seems to be 2 reasons for that. First.......they don't want have flaws in their performance.....so they are in denial before they start to hear the playback. Secondly........the problem with their natural perception of pitch.....which might have caused their issue during singing.......also causes the same issue upon hearing the playback. I have no idea how to fix that.

We don't know what your long term overall goal with singing is. If you're happy with it now........and are not looking to make a living at it.......GREAT.......go for it. If you do want more and do aspire to be a singer that can make it to another level........then keep at it....and keep an open mind.......and don't let anyone stop you.

Back