My First, My Favourite and An Experiment​!

The first one is nice, though recording is a bit off at times. Reminds me of Simon and Garfunkel. The other one I wish I had never heard. No one knows, maybe it is also the style, but listen to it! I don't know if it is a spin off of somebody else's style but that's painful.

Thanks for taking the time to listen ?

Your thoughts on "no one knows" were the same as my wife's but a lot more polite hahahaha! Experiments don't always work lol

Hey folks,

I know this song like a Hugh Grant film but worry not it's just 3 tracks I'd like to put forward for people to listen too. It may be how they were recorded (with Audacity using a usb mic) but they seem to sound better through headphones, I'll put them in the order set out above, thanks for your time ?

Damian Allen A Kind Of Hush - YouTube

Tears In Heaven Damian Allen - YouTube

Damian Allen No One Knows - YouTube

Hope you don't find them too offensive ?

Damian

Hi Damian,
You have a nice voice and personally on the first two tracks I hear some Beatles influences but maybe that is just my ears :) The first track sounds nice and tight, relatively minimal pitch issues and shows that the vocal range has a lot of potential. You have a nice gift and great talent :) That being said, the second track shows a bit more pitch related issues IMO. I am bias because I love that song and probably automatically compare against Eric Claptop in my head, its a beautiful song and relatively easy to sing but has a melody and timing that has to be met to get the emotions and feel across. I have to imagine singing that song and projecting the incredible feelings Eric had when writing it are sadly why its so beautiful. You can hear the pain, the sadness and fall instantly in touch with that song when those feelings come across in his vocals etc. Does that make sense? I have heard some beautiful renditions of that song and like I said previously, I am probably bias to the original just for those reasons. So when singing that song, close your eyes and maybe feel or understand your words. The breathing, the pauses etc., dont worry about hitting every note perfectly, understand the feeling you want to portray etc. You are essentially providing a cover of a phenominal song, you obviously have your own style so think about how you want to project your voice while getting those incredible feelings and words across.

The third track goes in a different direction to a style that IMO doesnt suit your voice and overall vocal range. I hate to use this as an example but American Idol (as annoying as it was) made some very talented people very popular by coaching and providing mentoring etc. One thing the judges hit on that many didnt understand was that some people have vocal ranges that are made for a specific style of music. IMO, your voice isn't suited for rock. I hear Beatle influences with your vocal range, that voice is suited for pop or similar, not so much rock etc. Its hard to tell with that specific track as you have a harmony track that doesnt do the song justice.

Again, this is just my opinion and ultimately it means nothing because its only my opinion. It takes guts to post your material and you want honest opinions on your tracks so these are just my honest opinions, please dont think anything remotely bad about my comments as you do have a really great talent and good luck!

Thank you for the comments, they are all well made and I will take them on board for sure. This is exactly the reason I joined this forum, it's nice to get objective views. I'm quite new to the recording at home lark still so all tips and advice is very welcome ?

I've been playing around with echo and double vocals lately and will post some tracks soon. Thanks again for taking the time to listen and comment,respect too ya my friend ?

You have removed your "experiment" cover. Don't be put off by negative comments. The helpful comments will come in time. Whether your voice is suited to rock or not, what you learn from experiments and entering new ground will enhance your singing across the board (cross-fertilization).

Which usb mic are you using? And what post-processing do you do in Audacity?

You have removed your "experiment" cover. Don't be put off by negative comments. The helpful comments will come in time. Whether your voice is suited to rock or not, what you learn from experiments and entering new ground will enhance your singing across the board (cross-fertilization).

Which usb mic are you using? And what post-processing do you do in Audacity?

Hi mate,

I deleted it from youtube by mistake while drunk hahaha! Not got around to putting it back up is all ?

For these tracks I used the Samson Go Mic, a very nice bit of kit for it's size and cost, £35 on Amazon, I've recently got the Blue Ice one which I'm currently getting used to.

As for post processing I sometimes do nothing at all and sometimes use some compression as I read somewhere it helps, it certainly seems to make the vocal clearer, I usually set the attack setting to between 1.50 and 2.50 depending on the track.

I've started writing my own stuff now too and will post some later today, as I don't play instruments at all I use collaborations with other people

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, all the best mate ?

The first piece sounds great. Love the vibe, vocals are nice. The second, not so much. Vocals don't tie in with the backing track. The third posted down a ways. WAY WAY WAY too much effects.

The first piece sounds great. Love the vibe, vocals are nice. The second, not so much. Vocals don't tie in with the backing track. The third posted down a ways. WAY WAY WAY too much effects.

Thanks for taking time to listen and comment, I appreciate your honesty Sloop, I will be putting a link on to my soundcloud page which has some original songs on, I would be grateful for any thoughts you might have on these too guys, peace out peeps ?

Sheltered | Free Listening on SoundCloud if you have time to listen and comment that would be great, I've only been writing for 5 weeks and have been collaberating with other musicians on some of the tracks, some are a little different from what is about I reckon such as The Dream which is very unique I think, hope you like any of the songs you listen too, thanks again for taking the time to indulge me hahaha ;)

Back