Thread: help needed. How can I get my singing better?

Thanks

help needed. How can I get my singing better?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi!

I am trying to get my some kind of singing to work for square dance singing calls. I am trying to make it sound ok, but think it is hard. What should I do to make it sound ok? I know it is not good and all comments would be appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptlcr3li4o...ning2.m4a?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjuyy41all...lning.m4a?dl=0

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tallyho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello,

I am a vocalist and my first advice would be to sing as much as you can. Sing along with your favorite songs, sing in the car, sing in the shower.
    Then additionally to that you can practice things like scales, harmonies and intervals.

Depending on how much effort and time you want to spend you can take it as far as you want. If you have the time get into a band and sing there.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqzSFEMToCHdbsYgDjeHzpg

Thanks
    Add to what Simon said...ooh, that was fun...breathing exercises and head/chest voice exercises (both can be found in abundance on YouTube.).
    You have problems all over the board. You have no power, you have no presence, your pitch is mostly off, your voice is not altogether appealing, your diction and enunciation are not great...
    Having said that, a few lessons with a vocal coach can go a long way. Sticking with one (and a good one will let you know when you've capped) can make you soar.
    Soundcloud Page
    I don't care about my ego, I care about my mixes--Just say what you mean.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BroKen_H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Are you asking about the recorded sound? If it is, then it can be a lot different based on your room acoustics, the type of mic, the mic placement and and such.

Thanks
    I would find a local teacher who has experience working with beginning voice students. Having a supportive teacher in this phase of your journey is imperative.

Some bits of advice I could start you with: experiment with singing more fully all the way to the end of phrases--it seems in both tracks that you are singing somewhat the way that you would speak the lines in conversation. Singing should have more through-line, with breath moving on every note of every phrase.

There's more that I could suggest, but I would recommend visiting with a voice teacher or choir director in your town who can help you develop what you have--if you run into anyone who suggests that you shouldn't try, keep looking for the right teacher match-up.
    I'm only competing with the person I was yesterday.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to skwee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skwee View Post
    I would find a local teacher who has experience working with beginning voice students. Having a supportive teacher in this phase of your journey is imperative.

Some bits of advice I could start you with: experiment with singing more fully all the way to the end of phrases--it seems in both tracks that you are singing somewhat the way that you would speak the lines in conversation. Singing should have more through-line, with breath moving on every note of every phrase.

There's more that I could suggest, but I would recommend visiting with a voice teacher or choir director in your town who can help you develop what you have--if you run into anyone who suggests that you shouldn't try, keep looking for the right teacher match-up.
    Really thanks for your thoughts. I am going to a voice teacher and I think it may gets better, even if it not good.
    What do you mean with
    "Singing should have more through-line, with breath moving on every note of every phrase" is more talking when singing?

Thanks
    As I listen to the clip, the end of phrases drop off (for example, the word 'polka' could be extended slightly longer with breath)
    I'm only competing with the person I was yesterday.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to skwee For This Useful Post:

Thread Information