Hearing pitch

kickingtone

Sometimes, I listen to a recording of myself, and the pitch sounds off. But, if I listen again immediately afterwards, it sounds OK. It will sound fine until I leave it for a while, and come back to it. When I return to it, it may or may not sound OK.

It can also happen if I switch to some other tune, and then switch back. It can take two listens to make the clip sound OK!

It only happens on some clips, and I am not sure why.

Does this sometimes happen to you?

Could it be that the expected pitch of the sound in my head has "drifted", and it takes one listen to readjust? :confused:

Or is it something to do with pitch ambiguity? :confused:

Or maybe I am a genius at fooling myself that the pitch is OK?

Here is one clip I am having the problem with. Yesterday, it was quite pitchy. Today it is fine! LOL!

I did not use any backing track, so only the relative pitch matters.

What I would like to know is, what you think the PITCHIEST part of the clip is. If it matches with what I think it is, then I can perhaps figure out what is real and what isn't.

(Please don't tell me that the pitchiest part is ALL of it. That would be no help at all, lol. Remember, I am not an advanced singer. Thanks in advance.)

It's like anything, if you listen to it a lot you'll become used to it. Your reference point gets lost.

A lot of old albums have out of tune instruments for the same reason.

I think you need to have background instrumentals ( like a piano or guitar) to keep in line with the pitch, especially when you sing high. Atleast to start off with. Or you have to be very good.

Having investigated this a bit, I wonder if it has something to do with relative pitch vs absolute pitch.

While I don't have complete "absolute" or "perfect" pitch, my ear may have a bias towards perfect pitch.

So, maybe I just need to make sure I start on the perfect pitch, rather than go only for relative pitch.

Back