Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Child loves singing, what can you recommend?

Thanks

Child loves singing, what can you recommend?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello, my daughter loves singing. She is 6 years old now and once we noticed that she loves to sing and has good memory for the texts, we bought small home recording pack and started do records. I have chosen few songs for her to sing that were suitable as I think.
    English is not her native language (as well as Chinese). She is going for a vocal lessons but it's not in English and they teach her different songs, songs in English I learn with her, but I am not a singer at all What do you think, should we continue this way or it's better to be done with professional vocal teachers? Can someone recommend songs in English or may be in Spanish or in Chinese that would be suitable for a 6 years old child? Most of the songs that I know are about love and relationship and it's difficult for a toddler to get the sense of the song properly
    Sorry, if I post it to a wrong thread I also wanted to share links to the songs that we already recorded and get some recommendations, but can't do it until have few other posts.

Thanks
    here are the links to those songs that we have so far looking forward to hear feedback and recommendations

I have a dream (ABBA)

chinese (Dahai)

Imagine (John Lennon)

Thanks
    Hi! Welcome to the forums.

If she loves it and shows an interest then feeding it in any way possible is more than half the battle. What you're doing is great! ^

In terms of recommending songs, or even languages, music is music..I'd ask her what she likes, or wants to sing.
    If she wants to sing disney, sing disney. If she's digging the beatles...do the beatles.
    It's all experience and practice so you may as well let her call the shots and 'own it'.

"should we continue this way or it's better to be done with professional vocal teachers"

I don't think it's a 'one or the other' scenario.
    Keep doing what you're doing but, certainly, but bringing a vocal coach on board is always a good thing, particularly at such a young age.

Having the opportunity to learn breathing and phrasing techniques so young is so much easier than trying to learn them after all the bad habits are ground in.
    You don't need to spend a fortune and you don't necessarily need to send her for weekly lessons for the next 10 years,
    but semi-regular input from an experienced or professional singer will go a long way, in the long term.

She's got tune and she looks like she's enjoying it. Nice to see!
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Steenamaroo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Hi! Welcome to the forums.
    If she loves it and shows an interest then feeding it in any way possible is more than half the battle. What you're doing is great!
    Thank you! and thanks for your response and recommendations.

In terms of recommending songs, or even languages, music is music..I'd ask her what she likes, or wants to sing.
    for example, she tries to sing Whitney Houston I will always love you, doing it pretty good for her age, but I have doubs about such songs for 6 year old kid, it's about love, about feelings...I jsut told that it's too early for her to sing such songs. She was upset I try to show her different music. Now we are learning with her Wonderfull World by Louse Armstrong, this song is easy to understand. Sometime ago she wanted to sing No Roots by Alice Merton and we spent quite some time discussing about who are the gypsies She is quite interested and she likes all the music that I give her and hopefully she will not lose this interest. If anyone can recommend some beautiful songs with good, understandable sence that could suit for her to sing and understand that would be great.

You don't need to spend a fortune and you don't necessarily need to send her for weekly lessons for the next 10 years,
    Why not for next 10 years? She sings in a chorus now with other kids. But the songs they sing is different, not modern. however I think it's good to go there and practise with others and take lessons.

What about vocal lessons by skype? does it work?

Thanks

(doesn't seem to be easy to find well-known age appropriate music for a 6-year-old [ she's not a toddler, lol!])

I'd say that the most important thing right now is developing her ear for music. It could be a great time for her to learn a musical instrument, too, especially if she is motivated through the singing. Danger is that children can switch off if you don't let them find their own pace.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kickingtone View Post
    (doesn't seem to be easy to find well-known age appropriate music for a 6-year-old [ she's not a toddler, lol!])
    Thank you for your recommendations! yes, it's not easy to find
    and yes, she is definitely not a toddler, thanks for mentioning this, now I know the exact meaning of this word

Thanks
    If you’d like for her to develop her vocal talent, please get her a good vocal coach. She’ll learn proper techniques,that’ll giver her better tone, accuracy, and prevent her from hurting her voice. The voice is an instrument, and like other instruments, a good teacher is the best approach.

Thanks
    Thanks for your feedback. Yes, she is taking vocal lessons with a good coach and sings in a chorus. However, at the class they sing different songs, those songs that they sing in a chorus, may be it's good for practice and development of vocal skills, but not making her very interested. Unfortunately we don't have a big choice of vocal coaches in the place where we live. That's why I am looking for some interesting songs for her to listen and try to sing and we are trying to make the whole process interesting for her: learning texts, understanding, singing, recording and making video as a final result. She now understands that nothing is that easy as it seems in the beginning

I was thinking about getting a vocal coach for her to have on-line lessons by Skype, but i think she is too small for this now, may be later, after 2-3 years.

Thanks
    I take it, the vocal coach she has now doesn’t give private lessons? Just tossing songs out, without knowing her voice, and ability, could potentially harm her voice, and mental attitude towards singing. Maybe play songs on the radio she likes, encourage her to sing along, then get her Karaoke versions, and a system. Although I still stand by the, if you’re really serious about getting her voice/ singing developed, look for a quality vocal teacher, used to working with young children, even if it’s online.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Toastedgoat For This Useful Post:

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiAn View Post
    Thank you for your recommendations! yes, it's not easy to find
    and yes, she is definitely not a toddler, thanks for mentioning this, now I know the exact meaning of this word
    Well yes but "Imagine" is pretty reactionary! I bet Trump hates it! Yes, get her a coach, as much for her vocal health as singing development.

Getting her onto an insrtument is IMHO vital and the best is a keyboard I would say. The last thing you want to do is make this a chore but if she can be gently introduced to musical structure and theory it will give her massive confidence later in life if she continues a musical career. A good singer/piano player will never starve!

Dave.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information