Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: After a bottle of wine...

Thanks

After a bottle of wine...

Sign in to disable this ad
    1st off - This is an awesome site bc ppl are honest and they tell you the good bad and ugly.
    So I was told I didn't sing loud enough, was too shy, and should open up.
    Here's me after a bottle of wine 😁
    No worrying about the neighbors during this recording.

BTW - any singing I do in front of ppl is either in front of real songwriters or ladies under the stars lol so ya
    Don't wanna sound like an idiot hahahaha

Any feedback that can contribute to improvement - thank you
    If I just totally suck - ya tell me - seriously...-
    tell me. Promise will not be butt hurt over it
    Thx guys

Will get to reviewing others posts soon to contribute to the cause

Did I mention this sites great?
    Thx
    ☮️

Mh

Vocaroo | Voice message
    Last edited by Mhcapa1; 07-31-2018 at 02:25. Reason: Typo

Thanks
    I'd put it under the common scenario of "just needs work". Clearly, you understand pitch, but your technique needs work, especially at the start of words. But the tone is there and you try to reach the correct notes. If you keep practicing, you'll be alright.

What song is that?
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    Yes, your pitch intention seems fine to me, but there seems to be instability in execution, especially with your onsets.

Have you learned and practiced "breath support"? Some of the onset issues I am hearing are typical of lack of breath support, as if you are not retaining enough air pressure in your lungs as you sing, and you find yourself having to subconsciously build the pressure quickly at the last moment, which is far too late. Then you may hear a fraction of a second break before your voice actually comes through, and the onset will sound "pushed", destabilizing some of the following notes.

I don't know if it is a deliberate style, but the sort of thing I am referring to is...

"I'll be leaving" -----> "er-I'll be leaving" (it sounds as if the "I'll" got stuck and suddenly released. It doesn't sound controlled to me.)
    "Go to sleep" -----> "G--o to sleep"
    "Candle light" -----> "ker-andle light"

I appreciate that it is similar to a particular kind of style (a deliberate throw of the voice on onset), but you need breath support to stop it from collapsing and then getting pushed through. If you are going for that style, I think you will find that it is still legato (no break).

Thanks
    Just needs work...
    Huh
    Ok
    At Start of words..
    Ok
    Huh...
    Ok focus on that and hitting right tone and notes I guess?
    Huh
    Sounds like a lot
    Hahahah
    Man maybe oughta just focus on writing then hahaha

Thanks
    Seriously tho - I appreciate ur feedback.
    Will see what I can do to improve with your advice.

Thanks
    Kingtone - man this site is awesome
    Y'all sound like pros

"Have you learned and practiced "breath support"?"

What is that?
    How do I learn?

I do feel like ... IDK how to explain it... Just at certain points being like 'o no.. I need to gasp 4 air so I can sing' hahaha
    Maybe that's what u mean?

"Then you may hear a fraction of a second break before your voice actually comes through, and the onset will sound "pushed", destabilizing some of the following notes.

I don't know if it is a deliberate style, but the sort of thing I am referring to is...

"I'll be leaving" -----> "er-I'll be leaving" (it sounds as if the "I'll" got stuck and suddenly released. It doesn't sound controlled to me.)
    "Go to sleep" -----> "G--o to sleep"
    "Candle light" -----> "ker-andle light" "

That's pretty deliberate... It just comes out easier like that and doesn't seem to sound as lame I guess.
    With some practice could prob sing without doing that if u think it sounds dumb like that

"If you are going for that style, I think you will find that it is still legato (no break)."

Ok.. honestly you lost me the 2nd half of that sentence.
    What does "you will find that it is still legato (no break)." mean?

Apologize for my ignorance...
    Appreciate yalls advice.

Thanks
    Ok sounds like I should practice and spend a few weeks getting better..

So ... Ok
    Gotta qstn -
    If I sing exactly like this tmrw night to a girl... I mean... Is that a bad idea?
    😁😁😁

What do y'all think?

If so I'll hold off and focus on recommendations u guys r putting forth first.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhcapa1 View Post
    I do feel like ... IDK how to explain it... Just at certain points being like 'o no.. I need to gasp 4 air so I can sing' hahaha
    Maybe that's what u mean?
    Yes, breath support is a technique that ensures you always have enough air pressure in your lungs to make the sound that you want. It is a central topic in singing. You only have to google or youtube "breath support" or "diaphragmatic breathing" to learn about it.

There is so much on the topic, that the problem is finding out whom to listen to and whom to ignore. Not all the advice is good, and even good explanations work differently for different people. That is where you are all on your own, and nobody can help you. The choice is yours.

(Videos by Franco Tenelli, a classical tenor, were the first that made sense to me. They may not be easy to follow. He talks of "dynamic opposition of the diaphragm" in his appoggio breathing technique. For whatever reason, it all made sense to me, and a lot of things felt natural and fell into place. I don't use his techniques exactly -- he is a purist, and he sings classical -- but I borrowed and consolidated)

That's pretty deliberate... It just comes out easier like that and doesn't seem to sound as lame I guess.
    With some practice could prob sing without doing that if u think it sounds dumb like that
    If it is a style, my personal advice in general is, "stick with it". Better to take advice from folk who really "get it". Folk who don't "get it" will try to "fix it" the wrong way. So, hopefully, you'll get more people commenting, to maybe get a better idea of whether you are pulling it off. I think it is definitely a good idea to be able to sing it plain, as well. That way, the style is fully under your control, and you are not being forced into it.

"If you are going for that style, I think you will find that it is still legato (no break)."

Ok.. honestly you lost me the 2nd half of that sentence.
    What does "you will find that it is still legato (no break)." mean?
    Legato just means that the notes are sung smoothly without a break in the sound. The total opposite would be staccato.

A good example of a "throw" at the onset of words is in the The Bangles - "Manic Monday". The song totally revolves around those two words, and that throw or inflection at the beginning of the word is crucial. Whatever effect it gives -- accusation, complaint, petulance -- the song wouldn't work without it. I know of some sound engineers who wouldn't get it, and would have removed the effect, flattened the note and killed the song (imo). Note that the throw or inflection has no break -- it is sung legato.

There are any number of onset styles, so, whichever you prefer, go for it!

Thanks
    1st off - kickingtone, thank you for taking the time to write this.

Wow.

Ok
    So

Sounds technical
    Also sounds like you know what you're talking about
    Google and YouTube
    Be careful about learning the wrong ways
    Have a look at Franco Tenelli for ex
    Got it

"The song totally revolves around those two words, and that throw or inflection at the beginning of the word is crucial. Whatever effect it gives -- accusation, complaint, petulance -- the song wouldn't work without it."

Maaan, you just opened my eyes to an artistic way of adding to songs beyond just clever wording, rhythm, music, and instruments by using voice "throws" and similar stuff...
    Might seem obvious to others but I didn't really think of thinking through that as an added detail to songs.

I remember taking a class on the music history, and there was this period and a particular composer who basically made a piece of music that used instruments etc to illustrate what it was like to travel down a river...
    Was so awesome. It's like if I closed my eyes I could "see" the music, or the river and surroundings, or... IDK how to explain it. It's amazing imo though.
    Will see if I can find the guy and the piece. Class was years ago.

But ya.. this stuff about tone of voice or throwing... I guess it's like using it like an instrument to convey more than just the words... Like that guy did with his music... IDK... But this is interesting

Thank you again for taking the time to give that info!

☮️

Thanks
    BTW

Hahaha

Man... I just listened to my recording again... Sober.

Ya.
    I hear what you're talking about with the voice breaking in and out etc
    No... I don't always sing like this at all - man... This is what a bottle of wine does?

Dunno if I like it! 🤣
    Sound super drunk lol
    Ugh and this a.m. ya... Drinking like that is not the smartest thing to do
    For singing or for multiple other reasons
    Ugh

Thread Information