Windows 10 "myths"

If the fan's noisy and it wasn't always then it's either faulty or your temperatures are higher than they used to be.
Both are plausible.

Inspect all fans for dust (in/out/cpu/psu/gpu). If you see any, give them a dust with a soft brush and a vac.
Check between the fins of any heatsinks, too.
If it all looks pretty clean, bog standard fan replacement is probably in order.

Usually they're removable without removing the heatsink but a model number or pics would be good to know for sure.
Some are unique to the heatsink; Some have custom mounts for generic fans.

Also

"Bog S" Of modest to poor standard.
"Jollop" (sometimes "jallop") Any grease, messy material In this context, thermal paste....Others that may crop up!__

"Mk 1 lug" Ear. (and by association Mk 1 mince. Eye. ) Then, theatrical. "OP mince" eye the other side of the stage to the prompt. "Blighty" England.

How long have you got?

Dave.

I just installed Win10 on an SSD. Bootup is around 30 seconds.

Previous OS was Linux Mint on a hard drive, which was also fairly fast, around one minute.

Best bang for $ storage value is a Raptor speed hard drive these days. But the other advantage of the SSD is they are silent, and they put off no real heat. Hard drives get quite warm. I guess that's only a factor if you're a PC tweaker.

But man, the Win10 install was hilariously stupid. It's probably the last money I'll give to Bill Gates, and he essentially sent me back to the DOS days to install the damn thing. The key I purchased came up as "already in use". Did I get scammed? No. But what followed was a long, tedious phonecall to India, the resultant communication difficulties with a non-native-English speaker, and reading off reams of numbers, only to have the call drop. Then I went with the seller's chat rep, had to take several screenshots, go to command line (DOS, essentially), delete the product key, re-install the product key, and finally the Win10 install activated.

Very funny, Bill. 2018 my ass. More like 1988 all over again!

(But Win10 is a nice OS)

I just installed Win10 on an SSD. Bootup is around 30 seconds.

Previous OS was Linux Mint on a hard drive, which was also fairly fast, around one minute.

Best bang for $ storage value is a Raptor speed hard drive these days. But the other advantage of the SSD is they are silent, and they put off no real heat. Hard drives get quite warm. I guess that's only a factor if you're a PC tweaker.

But man, the Win10 install was hilariously stupid. It's probably the last money I'll give to Bill Gates, and he essentially sent me back to the DOS days to install the damn thing. The key I purchased came up as "already in use". Did I get scammed? No. But what followed was a long, tedious phonecall to India, the resultant communication difficulties with a non-native-English speaker, and reading off reams of numbers, only to have the call drop. Then I went with the seller's chat rep, had to take several screenshots, go to command line (DOS, essentially), delete the product key, re-install the product key, and finally the Win10 install activated.

Very funny, Bill. 2018 my ass. More like 1988 all over again!

(But Win10 is a nice OS)

Ha! Now, since you are come to HR I assume you have a recording setup, hardware and a DAW? Next job then is to make an image of the drive with everything working because the next tranche of updates is bound to bugger it!

Dave.

Now that this oldie has been dredged up, I'll just add that heat matters a lot in notebooks because of the close quarters, and even in a desktop if the fans are thermostat controlled (as they always are in notebooks for battery life), an SSD can reduce overall noise considerably. I never hear the fans run in my old MacBook Pro (2010) or Mac Mini (2012) since updating.

As for Windows 10, well, good luck. The one tech email I still subscribe to says it's winning over converts in the enterprise, but those folks are buying new hardware, and I suspect it's fine there. It's the older platforms, and sometimes s/w apps, that seem to get the short end of the test/validation stick at MS these days.

Win 10 is what forced me to convert my one old HP notebook to Linux. One much older notebook (used solely to host a friend's iTunes library - long story) and my wife's AiO desktop are still humming along on Win7 and will be until they croak. I've, perhaps obviously, converted to Mac OSX.

I don't think Bill Gates has a lot to do with the running MS anymore. He's on the board, of course, but is more involved in his and his wife's philantropies. A rarity among billionaires anymore, it seems.

As commonly know, Apple will just tell you, we don't support backwards, buy new and go forward. In some ways I think MS not doing something similar has hurt the reputation of the OS. Plus, many of the motherboard and peripheral vendors were not always top notch, therefore making the OS even more flaky.

I would say Apple controlling the hardware and not supporting legacy hardware for the most part has really helped them keep the OS pretty stable.

But to date, I guess maybe 4-5 years, I have had rare issues on Win10 and maybe two blues screens and I can trace those two times to hardware failing (mainly older HD). Overall I still am pretty pleased with its performance and stability.

As commonly know, Apple will just tell you, we don't support backwards, buy new and go forward. In some ways I think MS not doing something similar has hurt the reputation of the OS. Plus, many of the motherboard and peripheral vendors were not always top notch, therefore making the OS even more flaky.

I would say Apple controlling the hardware and not supporting legacy hardware for the most part has really helped them keep the OS pretty stable.

But to date, I guess maybe 4-5 years, I have had rare issues on Win10 and maybe two blues screens and I can trace those two times to hardware failing (mainly older HD). Overall I still am pretty pleased with its performance and stability.
Not quite sure what you mean about "not supporting legacy hardware," since I'm running their latest OS X on my 2010 MacBook and it still happily, though technically unsupported I believe, runs my old FireWire interface when asked.

Windows 10 did report that my HP Envy notebook's internal optical (and an external USB one) were faulty and unusable. Surprisingly, they both worked fine when a different OS was used.

I'm not going to start (or finish) this ongoing battle. I worked on MS OS's for much of my career and closely with MS on releases of Vista, 7 and 8. (10 being released in July 2015, so a couple months after I retired, and pardon my disbelief that you've been using it 4-5 years.)

SSDs are really old technology. At least 50 years. They were just expensive until now. What I don't like about any flash based storage is you can only write to them x numbers of times before eventually the cells wear out. I guess you can argue spinning hard drives fail, too, but data recovery is easier. I find fast spinning (7.2k or above) traditional drives the best in terms of both speed and reliability, but SSDs will continue to improve and eventually be the better option. I just don't think they are there yet. Especially the cheaper ones, which are usually single cell (SLC). If you got to multiple cell (MLC) or triple cell (TLC) you get more life in terms of how many times you can write to them before failure.

source: I have a computer science degree, but that was like 20 years ago and I only follow this stuff cursory now, so I could be wrong, but that's my opinion!

PS. Can't stand Windows 8 or 10. I'm sticking with W7 as long as possible. It's their best OS by far.

SSDs are really old technology. At least 50 years. They were just expensive until now. What I don't like about any flash based storage is you can only write to them x numbers of times before eventually the cells wear out...

Is this due to heat? I just read an article about miniature circuits using their own heat to power their own cooling system, which would extend their lifetimes dramatically. Sort of like an auto's exhaust driven turbo.. sorta..

Not quite sure what you mean about "not supporting legacy hardware," since I'm running their latest OS X on my 2010 MacBook and it still happily, though technically unsupported I believe, runs my old FireWire interface when asked.

Windows 10 did report that my HP Envy notebook's internal optical (and an external USB one) were faulty and unusable. Surprisingly, they both worked fine when a different OS was used.

I'm not going to start (or finish) this ongoing battle. I worked on MS OS's for much of my career and closely with MS on releases of Vista, 7 and 8. (10 being released in July 2015, so a couple months after I retired, and pardon my disbelief that you've been using it 4-5 years.)

OK, so I can't remember exactly. Seems like a long time ago what can I say. So your disbelief is pardoned.

Not getting into the OS wars as I really don't have a "dog in the fight", but Windows up until 10 tried support all the way back to DOS days. My only point is, Apple would simply move on from their old hardware. That is a fact. MS didn't start doing that until 10. They tried to keep compatibility for way too long, which compromised the OS for many years. Apple controlled it much better and therefore was a more stable OS in many ways.

Wasn't knocking anything only stating the facts as I know them.

Is this due to heat? I just read an article about miniature circuits using their own heat to power their own cooling system, which would extend their lifetimes dramatically. Sort of like an auto's exhaust driven turbo.. sorta..

I wasn't positive as to why, so I did a quick search, and this came up.

NAND flash stores the information by controlling the amount of electrons in a region called a “floating gate”. These electrons change the conductive properties of the memory cell (the gate voltage needed to turn the cell on and off), which in turn is used to store one or more bits of data in the cell. This is why the ability of the floating gate to hold a charge is critical to the cell’s ability to reliably store data.

Write and Erase Processes Cause Wear

When written to and erased during the normal course of use, the oxide layer separating the floating gate from the substrate degrades, reducing its ability to hold a charge for an extended period of time. Each solid-state storage device can sustain a finite amount of degradation before it becomes unreliable, meaning it may still function but not consistently. The number of writes and erasures (P/E cycles) a NAND device can sustain while still maintaining a consistent, predictable output, defines its endurance.

When I was in school this SSDs weren't big, and I did programming. So for me the technical stuff is outside my scope and I just know a bit from still following computers as a hobby. I got a second degree and changed fields long ago.

SSDs are really old technology. At least 50 years. They were just expensive until now. What I don't like about any flash based storage is you can only write to them x numbers of times before eventually the cells wear out. I guess you can argue spinning hard drives fail, too, but data recovery is easier. I find fast spinning (7.2k or above) traditional drives the best in terms of both speed and reliability, but SSDs will continue to improve and eventually be the better option. I just don't think they are there yet. Especially the cheaper ones, which are usually single cell (SLC). If you got to multiple cell (MLC) or triple cell (TLC) you get more life in terms of how many times you can write to them before failure.

source: I have a computer science degree, but that was like 20 years ago and I only follow this stuff cursory now, so I could be wrong, but that's my opinion!

PS. Can't stand Windows 8 or 10. I'm sticking with W7 as long as possible. It's their best OS by far.

The one nice advantage of SSDs is that they can retrieve the data directly instead of having to move the read head to the spot (plus fragmentation issues on magnetic). If you remember from your days at school, IO was always the weakest link in the computer chain and still is. The SSDs reduced that to near RAM speed (OK, maybe not that much, but pretty darn good) so that storage IO time is reduced a lot.

I love SSDs, they helped me breath new life in a couple of old computers, I just have to say they are pretty close to miracle HW. ;)

I use SSD for programs only. HDD for writing. And I have 6 of them. Backup, backup, backup...

Lost a year of work and over 40 songs when two drives failed. The main and the backup at pretty much the same time. Full platter failure.

3 of my backup drives are external so they don't spin constantly.

And yeah, staying on W7 as long as I can.

The one nice advantage of SSDs is that they can retrieve the data directly instead of having to move the read head to the spot (plus fragmentation issues on magnetic). If you remember from your days at school, IO was always the weakest link in the computer chain and still is. The SSDs reduced that to near RAM speed (OK, maybe not that much, but pretty darn good) so that storage IO time is reduced a lot.

I love SSDs, they helped me breath new life in a couple of old computers, I just have to say they are pretty close to miracle HW. ;)

Oh yeah, speed is the advantage, but storage space and eventual wear are the cons, so it's a trade off. That's why I mentioned a high speed standard HD as being the best of both worlds. Many people are running 5.4k hard drives and wonder why their computer is slow. Those are too slow in the modern age. Even 7.2k is kinda slow. When I was a system admin we ran 10k+ on severs, and now they make them over 15k+. I'm not sure if drives with those speeds these are available to consumers or just for server application.

Oh yeah, speed is the advantage, but storage space and eventual wear are the cons, so it's a trade off. That's why I mentioned a high speed standard HD as being the best of both worlds. Many people are running 5.4k hard drives and wonder why their computer is slow. Those are too slow in the modern age. Even 7.2k is kinda slow. When I was a system admin we ran 10k+ on severs, and now they make them over 15k+. I'm not sure if drives with those speeds these are available to consumers or just for server application.

For audio these days, I agree 7.2's work fine, maybe even get a 10K, but long term storage, no doubt magnetic is the way to go. I would even go so far as to say, purpose older HDs, take an older computer laying around and rebuild it using this: FreeNAS Storage Operating System | Open Source - FreeNAS - Open Source Storage Operating System

I am going to (one of these days) take one of my computers, add a couple of 5xK 1TB HDs (here you don't have a need for speed and slower runs cooler) and my own back up server. (Did I say, one of these days?)

... I am going to (one of these days) take one of my computers, add a couple of 5xK 1TB HDs (here you don't have a need for speed and slower runs cooler) and my own back up server. (Did I say, one of these days?)

Right about that time consumer grade quantum computers will be flooding the market..

Back