What are your top 10 most influential albums?

Anyone find Rage against the Machine (self titled) influential? What an amazing record that is.

Though I don't really follow much commercial bro rock, a band I played in a few years ago did record a 17 minute noise epic called Rage Against the Vahjeen, so I guess in a roundabout way, yes?

Though I don't really follow much commercial bro rock, a band I played in a few years ago did record a 17 minute noise epic called Rage Against the Vahjeen, so I guess in a roundabout way, yes?
LOL! haha, even by your standards, fat-fleet, this is abnormally hipster comment! :thumbs up:

Top 10 most influential.....right:

1 - Hendrix - Smash Hits
2 - Cream - Wheels of Fire
3 - Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
4 - Floyd - DSOTM
5 - Yes - Close to the Edge
6 - Genesis - Foxtrot
7 - Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
8 - Zappa - Joe's Garage
9 - SteveVai - Passion and Warfare
10 - Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings

Had to be all the great ones when I was a teen, my first concert at 13 was Ted Nugent

Rush 2112
Ted Nugent Free for All
Ozzy Bizzard of Oz
Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell
Scorpions Black Out
Michael Schenker Group MSG
AC DC Highway to Hell
Rainbow Catch the Rainbow
Judas Priest British Steel
Kiss Rock and roll Over

In no particular order:
1. Mott the Hoople - Live
2. Kiss - Alive
3. Lou Reed - Rock n Roll Animal
4. Slade - Live
5. Alice Cooper - School's Out
6. Ian Hunter - Welcome to the Club, All American Alien Boy
7. Altar Boys - When You're a Rebel
8. Mylon Lefevre - Live
9. Johnny Cash - American Recordings (Rick Rubin)
10. Rez Band - Heaven and Hell(?)
11. T.Rex-Electric Warrior

A few I couldn't remember the names of the actual albums. Would have to get up and go look which obviously I'm not doing.

Last edited:
In no particular order:

1. Fugazi - In on the Kill Taker
2. Ramones - Mondo Bizarro
3. AC/DC - Back in Black
4. Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
5. Metallica - Master of Puppets
6. Jeff Beck - Wired
7. Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
8. Bob Marley - Rastaman Vibration
9. Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
10. The Mermen - Krill Slippin
11. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits

A lot of good records so far. The only ones that make no sense to me are the Kiss fans. lol

Kiss is interesting and influential for the well produced, live performance (which explains the live album showing up a bit) and also the live feel of several of their albums, but then there was a rawness to the first few albums that transcends the simplicity that were the songs therein...it's wasn't hard to like them in the 70s,

A lot of good records so far. The only ones that make no sense to me are the Kiss fans. lol
If you polled the age of all the kiss fans, you would find a theme. You will find most are between 45 and 55, and they saw Kiss right about the time when they were 12.

The visual thing was very powerful as well. Look at live footage of Zeppelin, deep purple, etc... from the same period. Barely a light show, no pyro, 4-5 guys standing around in street clothes staring at their shoes (or things that weren't actually there)

Ok, I'll play. No particuar order.

Deep Purple Made in Japan
Tom Petty Wildflowers
Jeff Beck Blow by Blow
Allman Bros Live at the Filmore East
Humble Pie Live at the Filmore East
Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland.
AC/DC Dirty Deeds
Chicago, Chicago Transit Authority (1st album)
James Gang (1st album)
Aerosmith (1st album)

Plenty more, but those are some good ones for me.

This list is a compilation of both early and later influences. For early influences, meaning those that actually got me fired up about doing music, well that list would be a little different.

Last edited:
If you polled the age of all the kiss fans, you would find a theme. You will find most are between 45 and 55, and they saw Kiss right about the time when they were 12.

The visual thing was very powerful as well. Look at live footage of Zeppelin, deep purple, etc... from the same period. Barely a light show, no pyro, 4-5 guys standing around in street clothes staring at their shoes (or things that weren't actually there)

I was 8 when I saw a KISS live show in an arena for the first time. Guilty of joining the fan club as a child. Not so much now, but that is where it started. Actually I couldn't care less now..

For an 8 year old kid looking for idols or someone to look up to? Why anyone even question why that was not stamped in my head forever? That was the best show ever back then.

I was 8 when I saw a KISS live show in an arena for the first time. Guilty of joining the fan club as a child. Not so much now, but that is where it started. Actually I couldn't care less now..

For an 8 year old kid looking for idols or someone to look up to? Why anyone even question why that was not stamped in my head forever? That was the best show ever back then.

Seeing kiss on the Paul Lynde Halloween Special in 1976 is the reason I picked up a guitar.

Pretty broad spectrum there IBB. Have you seen Running Down A Dream?

I haven't seen it. I'll check it out.

Yeah, my spectrum is wide.

I didn't even include the great classical recordings that I love. That's a whole other list:

1. Paul Galbraith: Bach Sonatas and Partitas
2. Artur Rubenstein and the Guarneri Quartet: Brahms and Dvorak Piano quartets and quintet
3. Antal Dorati: 1950s recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture
4. Nicholas Harnencourt: Beethoven's 9th Symphony
5. John Williams: The Guitarist
6. Los Angeles Guitar Quartet: For thy Pleasure (Bach)
7. Ton Koopman/Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra: Haydn Symphonies 44, 45, and 49.
8. Rachmaninof Plays Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto #2
9. David Zinman: Tonhalle Orchestra: beethoven's 3rd Symphony
10. Andres Segovia: My Favorite Works

Last edited:
That movie they did was pretty oscar-worthy too. :D

It was cool when you were 12 and only got to see it the once that it was on TV. If you are dumb enough to go buy it now, you will be shocked at how easily amused you were.

Back