Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Tube rectifiers VS solid state, ???

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    As I said, my top/favorite amps are all ss rectified, and I haven't noticed anything missing.
    I think if I ever get another amp that uses a tube recto over a SSR I will yank the tube and plug in an SSR instead.

The exception being if it was some kind of designated one trick pony clean amp.
    My home studio ---> www.nerolstudio.com

Thanks
    I suspect there's a good degree of snake oil poured here. The ramp up of heater voltage IS beneficial, and ever since we started using vacuum tube for higher power purposes, it was normal to use a thermistor - a very simple temperature control resistor, to do exactly this. A solid state rectifier feeding the heaters via a thermistor is a bog standard part of the design going back VERY long time. It was almost standard in things like RF amps and higher power audio amps because it did exactly what was needed. Let's not reinforce the attitude that solid state means bad and vacuum tube rectification is good. Selective use of facts really annoys me. Temperature stress is fact. Gradual warm up is sensible for longer life. The actual power source just needs to supply smoothed power - solid state or tube based is irrelevant.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Snake oil for sure Rob but thermistors in heater circuits? Can't say I have seen that except in series wired "AC/DC" TVs?

The "burning" resistance of an EL34 is 4.2 Ohms, likely at least two and some triodes. It would be a fat thermistor that surge protected that lot and they were THE most unreliable of components (in tellys at least) mainly I suppose because they ran bloody hot!

In fact the heater is about the most rugged part of a valve! In the aforementioned TVs, despite the surge limiter, they lit up like a Christmas tree and then dimmed but an O/C heater was a very rare event. I have never had one fail in an amp. I did have an ECC83 fail in a pedal, just one half! One in a million mnfctring fault.

"We" actually run power valve heaters in series so they "surge limit" each other. At 12 or 24 volts transformer regulation is better. Pre amp valves are DC heated. Socking great cap slows volts build up a bit but regulation is perfect, no mains V wobble.

As for Silicon V vacuum? Like you I don't think anyone could tell the difference between a valve rect and sstate plus the equivalent resistance. But then nobody with the resources will ever do the test except the amp makers and it suits their adpuff "machine" to keep things mysterious.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitargodgt View Post
    I think if I ever get another amp that uses a tube recto over a SSR I will yank the tube and plug in an SSR instead.

The exception being if it was some kind of designated one trick pony clean amp.
    At this point...having gone through my share of amps, and finally settling the keepers and my favorite few top-shelf amps...I've accepted the designs of these amps at face-value. Meaning...this crop of amps I now have are keepers for good reason, and I don't ever question or think about the choice of tube vs. SS rectifier or which tubes are used in the preamp or power sections, and any other aspect of the builds.
    IOW, the builders knew what they were doing...and I'm good with it.

I've got three "American" flavored 6V6 amps, all are tube rectified...and I've got three + a fourth build coming, that are "English" flavored amps, and all are SS rectified.

I have experimented with a couple of the tube rectified amps, by trying out different rectifier types, because their designs allow it...but TBH, I might fall in love with something different for a short bit, but eventually I put back the original tube spec, and always find that the amp sounds best with it...so again, I'm confident that the builders knew what they were doing.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    "IOW, the builders knew what they were doing...and I'm good with it." Well said Miroslav. I have spent some time watching and listening to the MD and technical director "sweating" over the voicing of an amp design...Play, listen, solder, tea,play,listen,***k! MORE soldering,tea, until the sound is as the MD and a couple of other critical "ears" (never mine!) were satisied. Then comes the intricate task of testing the response and gains of the resultant rat's nest so that production specification can be kept within a +or- 2dB window.

I remember well the MD calling the staff together to annonce that a new, radical design would NOT hit its release date because the sound was not, IHO "quite there yet" He said it was 90% there but he wanted to be dead bang sure.

Very often I read such bollocks about amp tone and the snake oil surrounding it. The masses of unsupported "night and day" claims and the impression is given that amps are "thrown in a box" and then the marketing dept' pushes them out to the gullible public? Not MY experience.

Dave.

Thread Information