Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Staying objective

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 888 Posts
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercreep View Post
    What a cool thread. I'll throw a +1 out there too. Sometimes you're working on a track for a client and it must be finished. But for my own purposes, there isn't a deadline - ever. Sometimes I'll have a song that kind of works, but I don't have the puzzle piece I need to make it really click. So I just put it aside for later. I can't count how many times I've solved a current puzzle with a piece that I put aside years ago from a different one.
    Did you get another studio up and running?
    I recall awhile back you had to break down your studio...kinda move on from it...?

Thanks
    It's a much simpler affair now. Using Superior Drummer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 888 Posts
    It's a much simpler affair now. Using Superior Drummer.
    Great stuff.
    I've been using SD for a long time now...that said, I'm still keeping the drum kit (actually two of them now) in the new studio space since I'll have the room now...but realistically, I'll end up doing more SD drum tracks than live ones unless I hook up with another good drummer...though the way everyone is distancing these days, it might not be for awhile yet.

Thanks
    Using Superior Drummer
    You are a superior drummer. Do you no longer have a drum kit ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    Mix quickly
    I think this should be the aim. In the early days of recording they mixed quickly. In fact, very often the mix was done before the artists went home at the end of the session and they'd be given an acetate of what they'd recorded to listen to at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    Try not to spend more than ~1 hour at a time mixing.
    That may be dependent on the length of the piece and the instruments and arrangement and the way everything meshes together at various points in the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by maxman65 View Post
    How do You get back into objectivity and the belief you can make a difference
    Keep in the forefront of your mind that "finished is better than perfect." Equally, by "finishing" you may sometimes see where you need to make a slight adjustment. I never know beforehand what a mix will sound like but some people have it in mind and aim for it. We're all different. As I'm mixing, I find that the mix begins to emerge and the song starts to make sense as a coherent piece, despite the fact that all songs are different and have different emphases. I try to keep everything as simple as possible. I've had 20, 35, 19 minute pieces that were quite easy to mix and 2 or 3 minute songs that felt like a complex nightmare. But however difficult, I know there is a mix there somewhere. I just want to find it, tease it out and get it out of the way so I can actually spend the rest of life being able to listen to and enjoy it {hopefully} rather than always be in some state of planning {writing, arranging, tracking, mixing, mastering} it's upbringing.

Thanks
    I have a drum kit, but no studio to set up mics and record. If I did set it up, the quality would be subpar. SD is an acceptable alternative, if I want to record rock music.

Thread Information