PROTECT YOUR EARS !!!!!! You Only have 2 of Them!

I have tinnitus. I'm one of the lucky ones that it doesn't really bother me.
Some people are driven half nuts by it.

I've thought of trying some of the various meds for it.
But they sound a bit like snake oil.
I may give one a rip.

Amazon.com: Tinnifree Maximum Strength Tinnitus Formula with Clinically Studied Ingredients. ENT Recommended. Powerful Effective Formula to Improve Inner Ear Circulation & Help Stop Ringing in the Ears 60 ct.: Health & Personal Care
Amazon.com: NaturalCare Ringstop Ear Drops, 0.5-Ounce: Health & Personal Care

I only clicked on the last one .. but, bad sign. -Command go :from Yellow to RED alert :

..homeopathic drop formula [Yellow' LOL] is an additional tool for those who suffer from ringing in the ears, and other noises such as hissing, clicking, buzzing, roaring, whistling, or chirping. The volume can range from a ring to a roar.
Ringspot ear drops deliver this safe homeopathic formula directly to the affected area,
What!? The inner ear cilia,..you say?
Please tell me.. the other one is not this ..full of.. (temper Wayne..) 'out-o-whack.

OP here ....... I went to an audiologist yesterday and my hearing was 100% perfect. Eardrum function was also perfect. She doesn't suspect my tinnitus is from loud music but from some other cause. Nevertheless, I'm still going to turn down my headphones.

OP here ....... I went to an audiologist yesterday and my hearing was 100% perfect. Eardrum function was also perfect. She doesn't suspect my tinnitus is from loud music but from some other cause. Nevertheless, I'm still going to turn down my headphones.

Good news.. on the ear' end likely
'Other causes (though? Blood pressure, sodium,.. I'm trying to remember what they are..
Mine (the ringing level) seems to vary somewhat.

Since I committed to 'cutting the cord', I have accumulated a tablet and a smartphone. I also have an old mini MP3 player I rarely use since I got my phone. Up until I acquired these gadgets (last year), I only used earbuds when a friend had me listen to their stuff - rarely.

These days when I'm streaming stuff, I frequently use my earbuds and I'm always cranking the volume past the device's warning level, which usually kicks in around 12 or 13. The trouble is, all the earbuds I've used don't perform well as inserted. Nearly all the low end is lost. Sometimes, especially with music, I'll put a fingertip under my ears at the back of the jaw on either ear and push straight up. This compresses the ear cavity around the earbud and the low end springs to life. It's like turning the bass track in a mix up from -50 to -18. The pressing is uncomfortable after a few seconds, but wow.. sure sounds great, and the volume isn't uncomfortable - I actually turn it down when I kick the bass in like this.

As an infant, I had problems with one ear which resulted in one of the openings being smaller than the other. I have to use two different sized foam buds to accommodate this, otherwise one would keep falling out. So, I do most of my music listening with over the ear headphones and have been running those at about 2/3 the volume I have in the past. Sometimes I still have to crank it, though - just for one song :listeningmusic:

I didn't know this. Figured/went by 'dB ratings, but mostly -how was I after shooting and taking them out or off.

Hi mixsit,
Just saw this.

I think that alot of one's sensitivities to sound also depend on one's DNA.

I seem to have a very sensitive body - the tinnitus is getting worse, and after a few weeks of intense guitar practice recently, which I really, really enjoyed, I seem to have worsened some Repetive Strain Injuries, and to have permanently created others. This is really frustrating.

:( Sorry to hear that...Thank you for the reminder. I heard in-ear monitors by 64Audio apparently protect against this because there's lesser air pressure or no air pressure I believe but I can't be sure.

After reading the posts here immediately remember Beethoven after the deaf has continued to write music. Yes, I agree, trouble with hearing among musicians is very relevant. Saw on the Internet article that the drummer of "Metallica" Lars Ulrich begins to stoop and that's why the fans notice that he sometimes does not hit the beat. Personally, I have poor eyesight. And my grandmother told me that when one sense organ weakens, then others become aggravated. It seems to me that in comparison with children (and then I saw well) my hearing erupted and now I hear very small details. But now I began to notice that sometimes after the headphones and working with instruments I feel a slight stunning ... and then for a few more hours there is deafness.

I read somewhere that hearing damage is the most common injury in the service. It never occurred to me but it makes sense. Unrelated (I didn’t serve), my left ear is a bit muffled compared to my right. I chalk it up to years of driving on the highway with the window down. But it could just be biology.

My dad has tinnitus but he worked in factories for decades, so I’m not too worried. But I am on the lookout. I ask him from time to time how his health is holding up. A little out of actual concern, but also a little because I know I’m likely to have similar problems when I reach his age. :P

Hmm. I know about the 'windows open' very low freq danger. (No.. it doesn't sound loud to us people..
:RTFM: :rolleyes:
I figured it applied to the whole car. My left rings much worse than the right. Is that related?

I recall in my teen's band times looking down to find this girl with here ear up against my Supper four tens cab. Stopped her. And she said "Oo it makes my ear 'tingle " As if some new fun she'd found.
I still wonder how screwed she might be now.

Holy crap that’s insane. I’m not good with loud noises, as odd as that is with this hobby. A couple days ago the fire alarm went off in a coffee shop I was in and I jerked so bad I spilled my drink everywhere.

Definitely buying some plugs. It really doesn't take much to cause damage.

I've got a few different types...though TBH, while they can certainly cut out the SPLs...most of them instantly suck AFA the tone goes.
I think you have to get into the IEMs that go for several hundred dollars and more...the custom molded and all that...before you can get decent SPL protection while retaining good sound quality.
I mean...if you're just wanting to take some SPLs out for like a concert...that's not a big deal, since the tone quality won't be as critical.
Even if you're doing gigs that are fairly loud, you could probably get use to the shit tone you get with most ear plugs...but if you want natural sound with SPL protection...dig deep $$$.

So I've tried a few of the real basic foam/silicone "plugs". I always wear them when doing yard work and running the lawnmower or chainsaw. That's about all they're good for. They totally suck for music.

I've also tried the Alpine MusicSafe Pro plugs, which come with three different SPL attenuation filter. They were just OK, but even with the lightest filter, when simply playing my guitar in my studio and wanting to knock down some SPLs...they noticeably mess with the tone, but the lightest one was bearable if you're willing to accept the tone loss.

I also have a pair of the Earasers, which offer lighter and more balanced attenuation, so they don't roll off the tone hard...it's still pretty balanced, just quieter...but certainly not like the natural sound in a studio setting. They also, IMO fit real comfortably, unlike the typical plug types. They are shaped like the ear canal, and you just have to decide on the size, since they come in 3-4 sizes. You can use your pinky to get an approximate size measurement.
I think for a moderate live gig, these would be pretty good at shaving off the SPLs a bit, and with the louder gig levels, the sound would still be pretty acceptable.

If/when I get to a more regular live gig situation...I think I would probably look toward a custom set of either just passive ones for attenuation, or actual IEMs, but then you need to tie them into your gig monitoring system and all that, so it's more involved, but the best approach for both attenuation and good sound.
That said...I know that some people who use IEM for loud gigs can just as easily get ear damage from them if they jack up the monitoring level of the IEMs to overcome the loud stage levels...so it's not an guaranteed solution.
In the studio...I have no need to IEMs or attenuation when mixing, since I keep things in the 80-85 dB SPL range. For tracking though, when recording guitars, I'm using headphones...or just for some loud jamming, I would go with the Earasers.

Amid all the talk of $$$$s for palliative measures? IF your livelihood is in peril get a proper audiogram done.

People piss about with online hearing checks and iPhone bollocks but I have had two hearing tests (on NHS so paaarp! to those that don't have it!) and they are complex, protracted experiences conducted by very highly skilled staff using what I guess to be very expensive gear. Boots and Specsavers I would not trust. I do recall I got a "Bode plot"!!

For those with commercial studios, surely such a test once a year would be tax deductible?

Dave.

I've got a few different types...though TBH, while they can certainly cut out the SPLs...most of them instantly suck AFA the tone goes.
I think you have to get into the IEMs that go for several hundred dollars and more...the custom molded and all that...before you can get decent SPL protection while retaining good sound quality.
I mean...if you're just wanting to take some SPLs out for like a concert...that's not a big deal, since the tone quality won't be as critical.
Even if you're doing gigs that are fairly loud, you could probably get use to the shit tone you get with most ear plugs...but if you want natural sound with SPL protection...dig deep $$$.

So I've tried a few of the real basic foam/silicone "plugs". I always wear them when doing yard work and running the lawnmower or chainsaw. That's about all they're good for. They totally suck for music.

I've also tried the Alpine MusicSafe Pro plugs, which come with three different SPL attenuation filter. They were just OK, but even with the lightest filter, when simply playing my guitar in my studio and wanting to knock down some SPLs...they noticeably mess with the tone, but the lightest one was bearable if you're willing to accept the tone loss.

I also have a pair of the Earasers, which offer lighter and more balanced attenuation, so they don't roll off the tone hard...it's still pretty balanced, just quieter...but certainly not like the natural sound in a studio setting. They also, IMO fit real comfortably, unlike the typical plug types. They are shaped like the ear canal, and you just have to decide on the size, since they come in 3-4 sizes. You can use your pinky to get an approximate size measurement.
I think for a moderate live gig, these would be pretty good at shaving off the SPLs a bit, and with the louder gig levels, the sound would still be pretty acceptable.

If/when I get to a more regular live gig situation...I think I would probably look toward a custom set of either just passive ones for attenuation, or actual IEMs, but then you need to tie them into your gig monitoring system and all that, so it's more involved, but the best approach for both attenuation and good sound.
That said...I know that some people who use IEM for loud gigs can just as easily get ear damage from them if they jack up the monitoring level of the IEMs to overcome the loud stage levels...so it's not an guaranteed solution.
In the studio...I have no need to IEMs or attenuation when mixing, since I keep things in the 80-85 dB SPL range. For tracking though, when recording guitars, I'm using headphones...or just for some loud jamming, I would go with the Earasers.

Hey good stuff. I don't know a lot about this, so I'll have to re-read this post again and do some follow up research. My bandmate has a pair of these Amazon.com: Etymotic Research ER20 High-Fidelity Earplugs, Frost with Clear Stem, 1 Pair Standard Fit, Clamshell Packaging: Health & Personal Care

He said they're good and lower the volume yet retain the frequencies. They're cheap enough that I ordered a set to try. If those don't work I'll see if insurance will cover a custom set. I've been using foam ones, and they block too much...during our sessions I lost the kick and started playing out of time because I couldn't hear it.

Hey good stuff. I don't know a lot about this, so I'll have to re-read this post again and do some follow up research. My bandmate has a pair of these...

Hey...for under $15...try them out, they're a similar shape/type to the Alpine MusicSafe Pro I mentioned but TBH, they're probably not as good...and I wasn't that crazy about the Alpine.
I mean...they work OK, and they came with the three filters plus a spare third plug...but I wasn't crazy about their effect on the tone when I was playing guitar in my studio.
For gig use, they might work better with the louder volumes where you might not be as critical about their effect on the tone.
I definitely like the Earasers more...better fit, better tone, but I don't think they would provide enough attenuation if your like playing in a real loud band.

You just have to try a few different types and see what works from the inexpensive choices...but if you're wanting quality audio and good attenuation...it's going to cost.

Back