Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: PROTECT YOUR EARS !!!!!! You Only have 2 of Them!

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    especially closed back headphones. ...they seem the worse.
    i know listening to white noise, the waterfall, rain type sound things works for me.
    luckily mine comes and goes or I forget about it.

i cnat imagine the loud Marshall Amp tinnitus like Pete Townsend, its much louder I would imagine.

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    Even though I have played guitar since I was approximately 12 years old, I have always been extremely careful about not listening to and playing music at high volumes.

I am currently 55, and had my ears tested almost 20 years ago by an audiologist in order to have some musicians' ear plugs made.

My understanding from talking to professionals and reading about ear protection for musicians is that one has to have something specifically made, rather than being able to use generic Solutions such as earplugs or Industrial ear protection because we all are vulnerable to different frequencies at different volumes.

Despite the care that I have taken over the years, a few years ago I began to experience tinnitus, and now it is a chronic condition. I have been tested for Meniere's disease and vertigo, partly due to other symptoms, but have found that the tinnitus developed at the same time as the other symptoms.

The reason that I posted here is twofold. First, I wanted to let people know that, regardless of taking care of one's ears, it is possible to develop something like tinnitus. Of course, one can develop tinnitus as a result of listening at volumes which are too loud.

And, second, I wanted to highlight, from my understanding, the importance of seeking specific preventative solutions to hearing damage, rather than using the generic solutions by described above.

Thanks
    I have a severe tinitus since my 15th, when I built my own canon with my own designed canon powder..............

Luckely I (being 56) do not suffer under the tinitus, although my right ear lost 50%. I have no imbalance in my hearing (???), I still listen to my MG15's with great pleasure. In the recording studio I have to be very carefull, but it works still. No really great problems.

I test my hearing every few months and I know that my hearing on the right side is deteriorating, but for the moment I have no real problems.

have a nice 2018,
    Jan

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mixsit View Post
    I'm identifying with Jimmy now. Except add in GUNS. Lots and lots of them actually.
    Almost always had protection (sometimes plugs under 'phones). But not while playing.
    But early on.. ten years old and before we knew better Dad bought me 200 rnds of 22 short to get me off his back. Took his pistol to the range, I don't remember trouble' with that at the time.. But I was 'coveting the guy with a 1911 45 a few spaces down.. I still vividly remember on my first shot. Instant LOUD ringing.
    Considering... at 67, I feel lucky to 'only' have moderate amounts of hearing damage.

Did I mention?
    "No Wayne you didn't. "
    The 'Twin over 4 - JBL D130's guitar rig.
    Ha! Some years ago our air rifle club had a day out at a range shooting pistol (.22LR up to 44mag) . When we came back from lunch we found two guys 'patterning' a shotgun in one of our bays, sans muffs. We had enough room so, suitably protected we opened up with .357 mag and a 9mm Star...They soon buggered off!

The nannies have of course banned all pistols in UK now.

Dave.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    "I test my hearing every few months "

How Jan? I have had 2 NHS audiograms and it is a very precise and skilled process. Your test MUST be exactly repeatable each time, levels, frequencies and very, very preferably done by a third party.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
    And, second, I wanted to highlight, from my understanding, the importance of seeking specific preventative solutions to hearing damage, rather than using the generic solutions by described above.
    I didn't know this. Figured/went by 'dB ratings, but mostly -how was I after shooting and taking them out or off.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    I remember when I played in a band in the 70's coming home with a sucking sensation in my head and a dull ringing. We had horns and every opportunity we played bigger venues. We got loud sometime but most jobs were not ear shattering. About 30 years (and hearing protection with regular hearing tests in industrial work) later my hearing hasn't suffered much. I was resently testing some old speakers with mismatched woofers and I could hear the difference. I pay a lot of attention to the hi's just to see if I'm slipping. My in laws are only 20 yrs older and both are almost deaf. If age is an indicator the dances at the nursing home will be a bummer.

Thanks
    It must be rough as musicians to have tinnitus. I really feel for all of you who want to enjoy music, but can't without boosting the volume. Hopefully, there is some sort of permanent treatment in the coming years that could fix this.
    Alec Weesner | Video-Game Composer
    www.alecweesner.com | alec.weesner@gmail.com

Thanks
    For me, I don't boost the volume because I can't hear at low volumes. I just like to feel as if I'm immersed in it. Guess that comes from years of band practice in small spaces.. and small clubs with bass players & pre-amps.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    I have tinnitus. I'm one of the lucky ones that it doesn't really bother me.
    Some people are driven half nuts by it.

I've thought of trying some of the various meds for it.
    But they sound a bit like snake oil.
    I may give one a rip.

Amazon.com: Tinnifree Maximum Strength Tinnitus Formula with Clinically Studied Ingredients. ENT Recommended. Powerful Effective Formula to Improve Inner Ear Circulation & Help Stop Ringing in the Ears 60 ct.: Health & Personal Care
    Amazon.com: NaturalCare Ringstop Ear Drops, 0.5-Ounce: Health & Personal Care

Thread Information