Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Performance Simulator

Thanks

Performance Simulator

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey all.

This looks silly, but also like it would be helpful to prepare for stage, but I don't think it's downloadable. I was wondering if anyone knows of something similar.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 890 Posts
    That simulator would work well with this performance simulation.
    You could play air guitar in front of a fake audience.

Thanks
    There is no substitute for playing in front of people, certainly not a video projection.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Just set up a camera and simply record yourself doing a set then watch it, non-stop, from start to end, preferably with a friend. You probably won't have the "stage fright" experience, but unless you're already polished, it will expose all the rough edges, fumbling and other things that become amplified live.

And, unless you're working up an Ozzy tribute, really pay attention to your expression. If it looks like you're sitting in the dentist's waiting room, practice walking around with a smile on your face for a solid hour at a time. The most entertaining performers look like they're having a great time, so the audience thinks they're having one too. That's usually practiced. (Though, some may just have better drugs, but probably not so much these days ).
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

5. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    There is no substitute for playing in front of people, certainly not a video projection.
    Well, that wasn't the question, though.
    So they answer is "no" you don't know of anything similar to download?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 890 Posts
    I think the best way...and something that's just happened sorta naturally for most musicians...is to simply work your way up, by first "performing" for Mom and Dad and Sis...then maybe in front of the whole family and friends during a BBQ...then at your local high-school garage band competition or dance or recital...and from there maybe to a real "gig" of sorts, or if you are doing classical music, you often enter a variety of competitions...and eventually to some serious audience gigs.

I think it's hard to fool yourself that you are performing in front of a live audience with any kind projection system. I mean...really...it's just not the same, and if that's all someone uses as prep, they will probably be somewhat shocked and frozen even, when their standing in front a larger live audience.

Back when I was taking classical piano lessons...I went to a few recitals. It was all kids' stuff, but serious playing and in front a full auditorium.
    Boy...there was more than one case of stage fright I witnessed... ...because it was a first for some kids in front of a live (unknown) audience.
    It's not just kids...there are adults who choke up. Go to some open mic nights, and watch some of the first-timers.

Thanks
    Thanks, miroslav. That's helpful. I have performed before to moderate audiences. Just not in a long time. So I wanted to work back into it slowly. To me the projector is silly for sure but also a good way to start really slowly. I'm not even ready to play for mom and dad right now since it's been forever. Maybe the dogs...lol.

I realize the simulator looks silly on the surface, but if something helps then it helps, and for me personally it would. If it wouldn't for someone else, cool, then they don't have to use it. I just can't find one to download and put on the big screen and was wondering if anyone knew of one.

Thanks
    With great respect to the Royal College of Music, this is laughable. I cannot see that it reflects in any way apart from physical staging, a real performance - and the students of the RCM have all been performing in public for years, and continue to do throughout their time there. A pseudo audience doesn't scare you like a real one can do sometimes. Practice with lights in your eyes can get you used to it, but adrenaline is very difficult to source from a video, and no possibility of real disaster.

The best thing that happened to me was being booed off early in my career. Two shows, one night - ten miles between on a New Years eve. First for a rowdy dinner suited audience who'd had food and lots of drink. It went down amazingly well, by the time we started at the next venue, they just wanted to party, and we were not right for the venue at all - they started to boo and yell - off off off and worse. The manager stopped us, paid us off and we went home. Wrong band, wrong audience, wrong time of the night. I can still remember the hostility - a bit like the scene in the Blues Brothers. NOTHING has been as bad ever since then. Since then, I have been on stage as a performer, on stage as a compere, and on one night, on stage in front of fifteen hundred people telling them the show was over at the interval as a water leak had killed all the equipment in the interval - and they were really hostile. Now nothing phases me and the only thing that stresses me is when things are going wrong, before we start. Once I'm on, I actually enjoy it - especially when things go wrong and we have to improvise.

If you want to tighten up your physical performance, between songs, perhaps - then I don't have much faith in this thing - I'd suggest just doing out and exposure - if you are terrified of performing in front of an audience, find one that will be kinder? Depends on if you are solo or a group - but I would work with real folk, not simulations.

Thanks
    I reckon the original question has been addressed well enough, so if you don't mind I'll throw in another war story..

For me, it was the old 'sink or swim'. First time on a big stage, I couldn't face the audience - I was the bass player, so I had to face the drummer . I had my full back to the audience, even though I couldn't see a soul due to the stage lighting. Only when we got lots of applause after the first song did I begin to slowly face the audience. After that, I just played as if we were practicing in a very large basement. I even looked up and out into the blinding lights directly at the audience - it became a fun thing to do.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    interesting bass live gig...just watched the Eagles story where the bass player walked out for the encore that was scheduled for him to sing his big hit....after doing it a million times, he froze and walked off...weird.

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thread Information