Ok....Don't Laugh....Dumb Question

I played bass on that in my once-a-year Beatles tribute band. Only had to sing the 'oohs' during the chorus. Song was a bitch to play, let alone attempting to sing it at the same time. Same thing for the lead guitarist part- triple picking.

Ooo! Ooo! Tempted to start a thread entitled "B****d hard songs to play on guitar" ! No, because I HATE "listing" threads. (the Boxer?)

I am going back 50yrs but it seemed most of the piano sheets (all you could get) were in e flat or some other awkward for guitar key? Being the only one in the band with even a smear of musical knowledge I had to transpose all the songs into chords we could play and key the singer could manage.

Dave.

Ooo! Ooo! Tempted to start a thread entitled "B****d hard songs to play on guitar" ! No, because I HATE "listing" threads. (the Boxer?)

I am going back 50yrs but it seemed most of the piano sheets (all you could get) were in e flat or some other awkward for guitar key? Being the only one in the band with even a smear of musical knowledge I had to transpose all the songs into chords we could play and key the singer could manage.

Dave.

I think the song was slightly sped up (by tape) - usual George Martin trick. We did a 'slow down' on the original to be able to practice (on our own) with it.

I think I’ve seen tape of them playing that live. Not sure. I’ve tried it in the past and can only mostly fake it.

Anyway......tonight’s the night for my debut as the stand-in with “Easy Street”..........the name of the band. Panic must be a great motivator because in practice yesterday I remembered most of the chords and.......as some of you mentioned.......dropped out a few as I blanked out. As some have said.......I doubt anyone in the audience will notice much of that.

I'm a bit mystified by the All my loving problems - the bass part is quite straightforward really - very common runs bolted to gather with a nice little simple chorus - there's a good video on youtube for the bass part. and there are some truly terrible so called piano tutorials. Apart from the augmented chord which people might need to learn, the guitar chords are pretty simple as well.

Key signatures are always a fight - guitarists liking E and A, while they could choose F, Eb and Bb if they wanted to be nice to the sax players, and in any song where you have keys, brass and guitars, somebody has to lose. Eb and Ab are pretty common in big band arrangements, so everyone needs to just be a decent musician. With this song, it's clearly a guitar song, so if you want to play it on the piano, you just have to get used to F sharp and B.

Cluck me Robert! I was about 17 an nothing like that good!

Any way, I palyed something like that but, and I am no musical technician, the bass part seems to run counter-time to the vocals?

Like I said, playing AND signing was what beat me! BTW sorry for typos from now on today, just come back from the hosp, blurry frm drops and got to have an injection next Wednesday.

DVae.

I'm a bit mystified by the All my loving problems - the bass part is quite straightforward really - very common runs bolted to gather with a nice little simple chorus - there's a good video on youtube for the bass part..

A good demo for why scales are a good thing to know.

This is a nice song and the audience always got a big kick out of it when we played this at outdoor festivals and concerts. I was on bass and backup vocals using my '65 Hofner, similar to the one in the video. We used the key of E... I began up the neck and walked my way down - it looked better. I used a Boss Compressor/Sustain pedal to help fill out the sound. We usually closed with I Saw Her Standing There.

Well [MENTION=160917]Mickster[/MENTION], good to hear you're getting it down. When you hit the stage, just set the autopilot and have fun.

Well [MENTION=160917]Mickster[/MENTION], good to hear you're getting it down. When you hit the stage, just set the autopilot and have fun.

Thanks spantini.......

Man....I'm excited to play live again. It's been a while. After the last practice I realized I was only going to have problems remembering parts of about 10 songs out of the 50 on the list. So I made some small chord cheat sheets for those. We might not even play those. I was also able to sing some harmony on many of them.......so........here goes!! Got my Strat and my 76 LP ready......although I'm thinking just the Strat will do and if I ever had my LP ripped off I'd hate myself. Yup....just the Strat I think.

Hi. I've when unsure about playing something new or something I've forgotten, used a piece of Gaffa/duct tape on my guitar, and scribbled the chords there.
Noone will notice.
All the best.

Last edited:
I looked at the bass part today, and discovered something - it's actually (assuming you can play) rather easy. Solid crotchets all the way - just a few rests, and nothing out of the normal finger span. It even works smoothly on double bass. I thought I'd have a go at the whole thing. So did electric and double bass. The George Harrison solo I found too tricky for a one shot, so recorded the solo twice to get the harmony. Probably could have worked out the fingering to do it live, but twice was not too tricky. Believe not or not - I made more mistakes in the John Lennon rhythm guitar part as it's a killer, and doesn't really let up at all. Paul's bass part is also not too difficult to sing with - the steadiness of the bass and the well formed lines mean you can sing it and your hands sort of go into autopilot. Four sharps isn't the easiest to read normally, but because the part is essential up and down runs for the bits that look hard, they actually fall under your fingers. Good for sight reading practice as there are no tricky rhythms - just the notes.

EDIT

If you listen to the original on Spotify - have a listen around 1:18 - I think Paul McCartney actually makes a mistake - certainly not the same as he played earlier, and sounds a little odd? It's easy to listen to as the stereo remastered version has vocals ONLY on one channel. Drums, bass and guitar only on the other.

Last edited:
Hi. I've when unsure about playing something new or something I've forgotten, used a piece of Gaffa/duct tape on my guitar, and scribbled the chords there.
Noone will notice.
All the best.

That's a good one. I've seen many guitarists glancing at the back of their guitars just before a song.

Back