Magazines

dsealer

I'm interested in subscribing to some recording magazines but I'm not sure which ones might be worth it. Anyone here have recommendations?

Thanks,
Don....

I can't do recording magazines any longer. They cycle through the same topics on a regular basis. And product reviews are always glowing with praise with the one token exception where the reviewer has one negative comment about the product just to prove to the readership that the magazine isn't biased by advertising dollars.

But if you were to subscribe: Recording Magazine is mainstream, TapeOp is free.

When magazines were more technical than advertising, I used to subscribe to REP, db, and more. I donated my collection to these people. A wealth of info free for all.
RECORDING ENGINEER PRODUCER - Studio and Audio magazine - 1970 to 1992

That American Radio History site also has quite a few copies of Studio Sound which was my introduction to proper professional recording magazines.

It is also worth looking at Sound On Sound (they have a US version as well as a UK version) and also taking a look at the Muzines website

mu:zines - Music Magazine Archive

which does something similar to the American Radio History site for Music Technology mags.

That American Radio History site also has quite a few copies of Studio Sound which was my introduction to proper professional recording magazines.

It is also worth looking at Sound On Sound (they have a US version as well as a UK version) and also taking a look at the Muzines website

mu:zines - Music Magazine Archive

which does something similar to the American Radio History site for Music Technology mags.

If anyone wants to collect them for free I have about 40kg of Sound on Sounds and if they don't go to a good home soon they will have to go to recycling.

(2005 to 2010 'ish)

Dave.

If anyone wants to collect them for free I have about 40kg of Sound on Sounds and if they don't go to a good home soon they will have to go to recycling.

(2005 to 2010 'ish)

Dave.

You should do what I did and donate them to the above link. They will send you a shipping label and all you have to do is box them up and send. It's a way to give back to the audio community.

You should do what I did and donate them to the above link. They will send you a shipping label and all you have to do is box them up and send. It's a way to give back to the audio community.

I don't think the Sound On Sound publishers would be too keen on that as they still have the old magazines from that era available on their website. Muzines are only publishing the old SOS issues that don't already exist electronically.

I don't think the Sound On Sound publishers would be too keen on that as they still have the old magazines from that era available on their website. Muzines are only publishing the old SOS issues that don't already exist electronically.

Yes James and I doubt the shipping cost across The Pond of several kgs would be met either!

My offer is basically for anyone that would like to "thumb thru" the old magazines. I can get rid of a few by craftily leaving some at our doctors. Got to take wife on Friday to be bled.

Dave.

We subscribe to Sound on Sound (airmailed to New Zealand every month). We share it around when it's read; copies go to other family musicians, audio enthusiasts we know.

American Radio History is GREAT!

They have Recording engineer & producer, Sound on Sound and Modern Recording. Those three were the main reads for the analog days. Sound on Sound has been around for years.

They have Recording engineer & producer, Sound on Sound and Modern Recording. Those three were the main reads for the analog days. Sound on Sound has been around for years.

Sound on sound is all I get now and I cannot agree that its reviews are 'adpuff' and always complimentary. The June issue review of the Walorf Kyra is positively scathing! Three times as many 'cons' as 'pros'. They are also less than enthusiastic about the Steinberg UR816C, like...WTF is it USB Three?

It is in fact very common for them to take mnfctrs to task for putting out half-assed, incomplete gear that is barely out of prototype stage.

Dave.

Back